what have you done for your subaru lately?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
T'subaru

what have you done for your subaru lately?

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:17 am

Thought it would be interesting to see what people are doing for/to their subaru's, both major and minor. Keep the posts coming

The XT6 I recently picked up has had an oil change to Royal Purple synthetic as well as synthetic trans and diff oil. Today it gets new rotors, pads, cv boot kits and a water pump bypass hose. I had the day off so i picked up the parts i ordered last weekend...recognize the PBR brand on the front pads?...made in Australia:)

'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

BillycanMitch

Post by BillycanMitch » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 am

I have done a full engine seals rebuild on my stock ea82. It has been more expensive than i first imagined. anyway i hope the result is good.

It is near complete. just need to put on the inlet manifold, timing belts and new clutch in.

oh and i sprayed the rocker covers blue. haha.

Cheers! mitch

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 am

whooo hooo grease oil and brake dust how much fun can you have in one day :)

and I can bet there are going to be people crying when they see the 5 stud rear discs that are compatible with MY and L series subies

I myself have a spare set of those rear brake pads for my brumby the cost a whole 16 dollars shipped from England of all places

is that a heater hose I see on the table as well?

and as for my brumby the list is too long

heres the link to the thread

showthread.php?t=15851

still haven't put my most recent mod in the halogen lights

and I have a little secret coming from the US of A soon but Im still waiting on a final invoice :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

someguy

Post by someguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 am

New gear for the L over the last couple of months

New driveshafts

Rally competition steering wheel

New head unit and speakers

Central locking

Tachometer and vacuum gauge

Had a 2.5" exhaust through to a 5" canon but it was too loud for city driving so I installed a center hiflow muffler to help back pressure and lower the db without loosing the boxer rumble
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 am

TOONGA wrote:whooo hooo grease oil and brake dust how much fun can you have in one day :)

and I can bet there are going to be people crying when they see the 5 stud rear discs that are compatible with MY and L series subies

I myself have a spare set of those rear brake pads for my brumby the cost a whole 16 dollars shipped from England of all places

is that a heater hose I see on the table as well?

and as for my brumby the list is too long

heres the link to the thread

showthread.php?t=15851

still haven't put my most recent mod in the halogen lights

and I have a little secret coming from the US of A soon but Im still waiting on a final invoice :)

TOONGA
Hey Toonga, Its a by pass hose used on the xt6, mine had a little leakage and the hose clamp was fully tightened up so time for a new hose

you can see the routing of the hose and the need for the loom used to protect the hose

A secret huh? sounds like someone somewhere is spending your money :D

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 am

BillycanMitch wrote:I have done a full engine seals rebuild on my stock ea82. It has been more expensive than i first imagined. anyway i hope the result is good.

It is near complete. just need to put on the inlet manifold, timing belts and new clutch in.

oh and i sprayed the rocker covers blue. haha.

Cheers! mitch
I painted my rear diff with some ford blue left over from an engine rebuild years ago ( i never throw anything away ) while i was unemployed:D

dont tell anyone its not Subaru blue:rolleyes:
Cheers, Mark

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:10 am

someguy wrote:New gear for the L over the last couple of months

New driveshafts

Rally competition steering wheel

New head unit and speakers

Central locking

Tachometer and vacuum gauge

Had a 2.5" exhaust through to a 5" canon but it was too loud for city driving so I installed a center hiflow muffler to help back pressure and lower the db without loosing the boxer rumble
Sweet! pics,pics,pics:D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 am

T'subaru wrote:
A secret huh? sounds like someone somewhere is spending your money :D
so I have shares in an XT6 now how to get it into Australia without customs noticing :)

TOONGA

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 am

Is that the standard diff hanger?
Looks different to mine?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 am

H-top wrote:Is that the standard diff hanger?
Looks different to mine?
that is definitely not a standard diff hanger it is part of a lift kit

somewhere in T'subarus posts are pictures it can be found

but I can't find them and wifey is battling 3 children

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:40 am

Mark, did you order those PBR (Patons Brake Replacement ) bits from Aus, or are they on the shelf in the US? Recognise Bremba as being high performance brake components, CRC spray cans and those little brake pads box for the rears :)

The front timing marks - are they in the timng belt cover plastic, not a bolt on ponter like Vortex turbo 4's

What have been doing?

*Checked and machined EA82T heads, cleaned out inlet tract, bolted it all up, quiet first up, then water added, now making steam again - off for discussion with the long time machine shop guy.

*apply chemiweld as per phone instruction from Goss,

* Also have carb EA82 block (188,000 + regular overheat due to previous owner) turbo heads waiting for cams install planned as LPG in Brumby trial with better breathing but due to above may just turbo this 9.2:1, 10 DBTDC and se how it goes in the GLTM

* scrapped a rusted out EA81 block $4.50 cash from scrap yard !

* mental lst of things to check , clutch cables to avoid unexpected delight, bleed more brake fluid as maintenance

Mark, you set a good example here - preventative maintenance

PS, in the process of finding somewhere you can store the XT6 on the east coast so you will feel at home in LHD car when you make it over here, then you can drove over to WA to let Julian have a drive :) Guys, we need $3200 to import it plus any customs duty

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:59 am

H-top wrote:Is that the standard diff hanger?
Looks different to mine?
Hey H-Top, no its not standard, its part of a "Boss" lift kit ( Bill Olberman Subaru Specialties) as I recall, a usmb guy.
This was posted in my "T'sunami Wagon" build thread, which will soon be an active thread again with all kinds of quad cam goodness ( to quote Andrew T ) going on:D

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 am

TOONGA wrote:so I have shares in an XT6 now how to get it into Australia without customs noticing :)

TOONGA
Well, I figure I point it in the right direction on my coast and drive like hell!:D

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:11 am

steptoe wrote:Mark, did you order those PBR (Patons Brake Replacement ) bits from Aus, or are they on the shelf in the US? Recognise Bremba as being high performance brake components, CRC spray cans and those little brake pads box for the rears :)

The front timing marks - are they in the timng belt cover plastic, not a bolt on ponter like Vortex turbo 4's

What have been doing?

*Checked and machined EA82T heads, cleaned out inlet tract, bolted it all up, quiet first up, then water added, now making steam again - off for discussion with the long time machine shop guy.

* Also have carb EA82 block (188,000 + regular overheat due to previous owner) turbo heads waiting for cams install planned as LPG in Brumby trial with better breathing but due to above may just turbo this 9.2:1, 10 DBTDC and se how it goes in the GLTM

* mental lst of things to check , clutch cables to avoid unexpected delight, bleed more brake fluid as maintenance

PS, in the process of finding somewhere you can store the XT6 on the east coast so you will feel at home in LHD car when you make it over here, then you can drove over to WA to let Julian have a drive :) Guys, we need $3200 to import it plus any customs duty
Hey Jonno, Brembo is oem for subaru xt6's and also current wrx's etc. I ordered the parts locally, and they can tell me wether they are oem or after market, and have pics also of their products, the PBR's where a brand I didnt recognize but the compound I was after, got a kick out of the Kangaroo on the box:). I dont mess with low dollar aftermarket, not worth the minimal savings when compared to where I live vs where I work.
And the rears, should look familure, they are the same as L series rear disc as the caliper is the same, although the discs are a much larger diameter. As far as lhd vs rhd all I can say is being right hander I throw like a girl with my left hand lol!
Cheers, Mark

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 am

steptoe wrote:Mark, did you order those PBR (Patons Brake Replacement ) bits from Aus, or are they on the shelf in the US? Recognise Bremba as being high performance brake components, CRC spray cans and those little brake pads box for the rears :)

What have been doing?

You did well on scrapping the engine block, I put this out on the street today to get it hauled away...for free

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I put in a starter relay today. Now starts 'on time, every time' haha.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:50 pm

fixed my exhaust... it had a snapped bolt just before the cat on the down pipe so pulled it off the car, chopped said bolt off and attempted to drill it out... was off centre so I cut the side of the flange off and fab'd up a bracket, welded it onto the existing flange, primed it up against rust, new gasket and walla, no noisey exhaust any more :) It's always nice when you make something up from scratch and it works!

Also about to replace the thermostate and soon to head to the wreckers to look for a towbar.

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Pootcrum

Post by Pootcrum » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:14 pm

The Brumby on my end is getting a lot of attention of late, and I am buying up tools like mad. But the most recent fix is a new thermostat and thermostat housing (snapped the old one when I torqued it a bit hard with a misaligned thermostat), some degreaser to find this damn leak, bit of a wash and clean, and hopefully soon (funding dependent) some new ignition components.

FREEDOM

Post by FREEDOM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Installed a 240v GPO in the back of the wagon, along with the inverter and Over-ride missileswitch.
Bye Bye Brumby... :(

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:16 am

GTlegs wrote:I put in a starter relay today. Now starts 'on time, every time' haha.
Cool! Nice when things work as they should, and I believe this is something a true enthusiest does the best he can to achieve. The beauty of a thread like this is that you dont have to be doing a build thread and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to post about your car, and other enthusiests are interested in whats happening with others Subaru's also, Keep the posts coming:)
Cheers, Mark

Return to “Subaru Chat”