Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Neeek

Post by Neeek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 pm

EB# wrote:I have been considering a new 2.0L diesel Outback for a little while now, but reading through this thread my intentions have certainly been placed on the back-burner, so to speak. I think it has been posted before in this thread (?), but here is an excerpt from the Subaru website regarding the diesel engine and the DPF.

..... To help alleviate this situation the DPF is subjected to computer controlled regenerative processes that raise the combustion temperature to force drive the DPF burning process. However, these regenerative processes also require an engine operating temperature that is not sustainable in a continued urban driving environment.

When this situation occurs the driver is warned via a warning light to drive the vehicle at a higher speed & load to raise the exhaust temperature so the DPF can burn the soot particles. Failure to do so will ultimately result in the DPF becoming blocked. If this happens it will possibly be necessary to replace the DPF at a significant cost (thousands of dollars).

So again it is clear that a diesel engine vehicle requires a driving style and method of use that is only suitable for longer distances and higher loads! ......

Refer:
http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/ben ... sel-engine

The tone of these statements, directly from Subaru, seems to suggest that the owner would perhaps be liable to cover the replacement costs of a damaged DPF inside the warranty period if the car is not driven in a 'certain fashion'. Frankly, this situation is incredulous for a mainstream manufacturer such as Subaru to be offering a car for sale with a 'caveat' of sorts on the driving style. My respect for the Subaru brand is now somewhat diminished and I am of an opinion that the diesel engine/dpf issue is problematic in both an urban and a rural environment going by the accounts in this thread.

It is obvious that the dealerships and their sales staff do not offer this information at the point of sale!
Whilst I agree that manufacturers have an obligation to inform the consumer of such limitations, which frankly are a load of old horseshit because honestly, why should a diesel car have to be driven differently to a petrol equivalent, this is not in itself a problem with Subarus. The problem is the DPF, and the emissions requirements set out by people who clearly think that cars are killing the planet.

Ignoring the argument that they are or they aren't, the rules have been agreed and now just about every passenger diesel car is required to have a DPF fitted. This has been the case since about 2010 or perhaps 2009. What differs is the way the manufacturers have set them up and how they regenerate, and under what circumstances.

If you have a quick look online for DPF issues, you'll find them everywhere. Volkswagens, Volvos, Holdens, Subarus and everything in between. The manufacturers have been forced into fitting these things, and there's no easy way around it if you want to sell a diesel car.

They're compromised, they cause more problems than they solve, and I absolutely don't blame Subaru for the trouble they cause. So personally, I won't go bashing Subaru about how problematic they are. Sure, it's subaru's problem to fix in this instance (or they can get around the problem by placing the blame on the buyer), but they are not alone. If affects most diesel cars made in the last few years.

My prediction? Sales will decline rapidly as these problems become more widespread, or as dealers warn potential buyers of the need to buy a car to suit their intended use. DPFs will KILL diesel sales, which is a pity.

As for me, we've had no problems recently with ours since they cleaned the turbo out. 70/30 mix of city and freeway driving too. Not a single shudder, no warning lights, all seems to be well for now. Not holding my breath though...

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm

I have owned 5 Mercedes Vito vans (diesel) since 2000 and have never had a DPF light come on once. Why would Subaru be struggling?

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Neeek wrote:Whilst I agree that manufacturers have an obligation to inform the consumer of such limitations, which frankly are a load of old horseshit because honestly, why should a diesel car have to be driven differently to a petrol equivalent, this is not in itself a problem with Subarus.
Diesel trucks are driven in a different manner to petrol trucks so why wouldn't there be a difference between diesel and petrol cars too?
Peter

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:21 pm

there is no requirement to fit a DPF. the requirement is to meet the ever advancing emission standards and a DPF is the most common way to do that.

Current model pajeros do not run a DPF for example
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:04 pm

vincentvega wrote:there is no requirement to fit a DPF. the requirement is to meet the ever advancing emission standards and a DPF is the most common way to do that.

Current model pajeros do not run a DPF for example
And you can tell when they put their foot down, I have to wind my windows up! :eek:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 am

Silverbullet wrote:And you can tell when they put their foot down, I have to wind my windows up! :eek:
And the turbodiesel Territorys are the automotive squids of the road, laying an impenetrable smokescreen as they speed off into the distance.

As for the DPF issue, when I was in the UK during July/August 2013, two things I heard about:

1) Apparently the Swedish equivalent of the NRMA recommended against purchasing a diesel passenger vehicle for urban conditions (can't find a reference, at least on google)
2) There was talk in the British motoring press about the same, recommending petrol vehicles for the urban environment. They specially mentioned most of the benefits (economy, performance) from the small turbocharged petrols now appearing, VAG ones in particular, without the extra DPF expense, complexity and issues.

Take a look at this AA link, particularly the recommendation in the colour background box under the "Comparisons" heading. Note diesel is more expensive than petrol in the UK, unlike Europe where diesel is generally cheaper than petrol.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

EB#

Post by EB# » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:20 am

Neeek wrote:...... If you have a quick look online for DPF issues, you'll find them everywhere. Volkswagens, Volvos, Holdens, Subarus and everything in between. The manufacturers have been forced into fitting these things, and there's no easy way around it if you want to sell a diesel car.

They're compromised, they cause more problems than they solve, and I absolutely don't blame Subaru for the trouble they cause. So personally, I won't go bashing Subaru about how problematic they are. Sure, it's subaru's problem to fix in this instance (or they can get around the problem by placing the blame on the buyer), but they are not alone. If affects most diesel cars made in the last few years......
I agree with your comments there and certainly glad to hear that the issues with your Subie have been sorted. I guess that I am 'bashing' Subaru a bit here, but I'm doing that because I'm not interested in a Mazda, VW or a Holden/Daewoo! I have respected and admired Subarus for years (my wife has had three of them, my best mate has one) and I guess I am just disheartened by these DPF issues.

I live in rural NSW and a visit to a friends place can be a 100km highway round trip, which happens often throughout the week.... A road trip with over 1000km range to a tank is also a fantastic prospect! It would seem that these driving conditions are no guarantee that DPF problems would not arise, given the accounts on this forum. Further, the quoted economy figures of the car would not actually be realized with the suggestion to drive it hard all the time and leave 6th gear pretty well on the shelf altogether.

I see this as a confusing and unfortunate situation for the Subie diesel is all.

I guess there is always the 2.5L petrol to consider but on paper they just seem to lack some grunt for a wagon of that size. I have read of the vague prospect of seeing the 2.0L XT (turbo petrol) engine being dropped into the Outback for the forthcoming MY15 model, so that would certainly be a great option I reckon.

EB#

Post by EB# » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 am

ktmtragic wrote:I have owned 5 Mercedes Vito vans (diesel) since 2000 and have never had a DPF light come on once. Why would Subaru be struggling?
They haven't poached a couple of the Merc engineers yet!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:17 am

There is a guy in town with a diesel foz and he hasnt had any dpf issues in the nearly 100,000 ks he's put on it. We live in an area of lots of hills, dirt roads etc.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Moms new Outback auto diesel 8k so far no problem except the sun-glass holder above the rear view mirror will not close.
Will get it sorted at the next service. Love the paddle shift when I am feeling silly.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

EB# wrote:I have been considering a new 2.0L diesel Outback for a little while now, but reading through this thread my intentions have certainly been placed on the back-burner, so to speak. I think it has been posted before in this thread (?), but here is an excerpt from the Subaru website regarding the diesel engine and the DPF.

..... To help alleviate this situation the DPF is subjected to computer controlled regenerative processes that raise the combustion temperature to force drive the DPF burning process. However, these regenerative processes also require an engine operating temperature that is not sustainable in a continued urban driving environment.

When this situation occurs the driver is warned via a warning light to drive the vehicle at a higher speed & load to raise the exhaust temperature so the DPF can burn the soot particles. Failure to do so will ultimately result in the DPF becoming blocked. If this happens it will possibly be necessary to replace the DPF at a significant cost (thousands of dollars).

So again it is clear that a diesel engine vehicle requires a driving style and method of use that is only suitable for longer distances and higher loads! ......

Refer:
http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/ben ... sel-engine

The tone of these statements, directly from Subaru, seems to suggest that the owner would perhaps be liable to cover the replacement costs of a damaged DPF inside the warranty period if the car is not driven in a 'certain fashion'. Frankly, this situation is incredulous for a mainstream manufacturer such as Subaru to be offering a car for sale with a 'caveat' of sorts on the driving style. My respect for the Subaru brand is now somewhat diminished and I am of an opinion that the diesel engine/dpf issue is problematic in both an urban and a rural environment going by the accounts in this thread.

It is obvious that the dealerships and their sales staff do not offer this information at the point of sale!
Hi, As a guy that has a 2010 diesel Premium Outback and done 196,000km. I will be happily buying another one. I have had the dpf light come on a few times and after doing the 'burn off' has fixed it. Eblen Subaru in Adelaide has always been very helpful and didn't charge me for the one time it had to go in to the work shop for it. Every car is going to have its issues.

I have been impressed with the wear of the interior as well. If you do get one put a set of coopers on there. My current set has now done 120,000km

I'll probably do another 50,000km and wait 12 months to see if the new 2015 Subaru diesel outback will have eye sight before I buy my next one.

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Nice gear to drive I will say myself !

pitrack_1

DPF Ash level and which model Coopers?

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Scotty wrote:Hi, As a guy that has a 2010 diesel Premium Outback and done 196,000km.
Congrats, you've done well and obviously a lot of km in a relatively short period- the way the diesels seemingly prefer to run. Do you a readout of your calculated DPF ash level? I'd like to know what to expect before a DPF replacement/rebuild.
Scotty wrote:If you do get one put a set of coopers on there. My current set has now done 120,000km
Which model Coopers do you have? The only ones seemingly available for me (215/65R16) are the CS4 Touring. I currently have Yokohama A-T/S at 50,000km with lots more to go yet, am very impressed but I just don't do enough dirt road (let alone off road) to really justify a full All-Terrain type.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

The latest NRMA magazine "Open Road" has a letter from a reader in it - on holiday in a DPF'ed (read it however you must) Navara. I must say they were not happy with first on the road repair bill of $4,500$ I think for a DPF , then another DPF replaced before they got home ? $2,500 and then a turbo or two .... I think the gist of letter was that they were unable to buy premium diesel fuel on their trip in north qld.

The letter did not indicate whether they suspected fuel played a part, or whether mechanics suggested
member since 10january2014 #6191

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 pm

pitrack_1 wrote:Congrats, you've done well and obviously a lot of km in a relatively short period- the way the diesels seemingly prefer to run. Do you a readout of your calculated DPF ash level? I'd like to know what to expect before a DPF replacement/rebuild.

Which model Coopers do you have? The only ones seemingly available for me (215/65R16) are the CS4 Touring. I currently have Yokohama A-T/S at 50,000km with lots more to go yet, am very impressed but I just don't do enough dirt road (let alone off road) to really justify a full All-Terrain type.
Hi. I have the CS4 touring. Been happy with the grip and not much road noise. I got 75000km out of the Yokohama.

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Warranty job regardless of age is my call

pitrack_1

CS4 Touring

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Scotty wrote:Hi. I have the CS4 touring. Been happy with the grip and not much road noise. I got 75000km out of the Yokohama.
Thanks Scotty, straight to the top for consideration next time.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

ghostgum

Post by ghostgum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Using a bluetooth OBD-II adapter and the Android "Torque Pro" app I've managed to configure a custom PID so I can read the DPF Soot Accumulation Ratio.
The required codes were found at
http://subdiesel.wordpress.com/generic/ ... ed-obd-ii/
You need to go to the Settings, Manage custom OBD2 PIDs, Add custom PID.
The OBD2 Mode and PID is 22114D, Long name "Soot Accumulation Ratio", Short name "SAR", min 0, max 100, scale x1, Unit type %, Equation A, then OK.

What I haven't found on the Internet is the OBD2 mode and PID for Active Regeneration Count. If anyone finds this PID info, please reply here.

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 pm

NRMA workshop wanted some serious dollars to fix a friends RAV 4 that was in limp mode.
Found the rest code for him ie ignition on off etc on line fixed for nix.
Possibly the numbers quoted where for the NRMA approved repairer and not by Subaru au?

ghostgum

DPF Active Regeneration Count, Soot Accumulation Ratio

Post by ghostgum » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:01 pm

I think I found the OBD2 DPF Regeneration Count parameter.

At a service two weeks ago the DPF regen count was 51. That's one regeneration per week for the life of the car.

Using OBDwiz I asked for all PIDs between 221140 and 22119F. The only one near the value of 51 decimal was PID 221157 with a value of 00 34 = 52 decimal.

The Soot Accumulation Ratio (SAR) was 55% before I took the car for a drive down the freeway at 100km/h in 6th gear, just below 1800 RPM. The SAR slowly climbed to 66%, then PID 22125B = DPF Active Regeneration Switch changed from 00 to FF indicating that it had started active regeneration. The SAR was steady for the first minute or two, then progressively dropped down to 0%. Then the DPF switch flipped back to 00 and PID 221157 incremented to 53 decimal. That looks like the right behaviour.

I'm not sure if the Oil Dilution Ratio PID 22114E is working, because it is reading 0% even after two active regenerations. The Oil Dilution Amount PID 221189 is not supported by my car.

So the settings I am using in Torque Pro for regen count are:
OBD2 Mode and PID is 221157, Long name "DPF Active Regeneration Count", Short name "Regen", min 0, max 65535, scale x1, Unit type [blank], Equation A*256+B. The equation may be incorrect - I won't know until it reaches 255 which will be another 4 years.

In summary, I'm monitoring:
PID 22114D, Soot Accumulation Ratio (0-135%)
PID 22114E, Oil Dilution Ratio (0-100%) [not confirmed]
PID 221157, DPF Active Regeneration Count (0-65535)
PID 22125B, DPF Active Regeneration Switch (00=Off or FF=Active)

As reported by others, don't use 6th gear at 100km/h unless you want the DPF to clog up. Use 5th gear instead.

Return to “Subaru Chat”