Around Oz in my GT forester

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
SuBaRiNo

Around Oz in my GT forester

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 am

Hey crew,
Thought it was about time I told you all about the trip my wife and I (and 2 small dogs) have embarked on in our 01 GT forester. We are curently half way through a trip around Australia.

Beginning in Perth we have approx 120 days to tour around the Australian coast (and a nip down to Alice Springs) on a rather tight travel budget. We have so far done around 60 days of travel and about 60 to go and as of today we are located about 600km north of Brisbane having traveled clockwise around the north coast.

Before we left the Forester undertook a series of repairs to help minamise brackages on the trip. However towing our atleast 1000kg camper trailer has taken it's toll.

We got as far as north Queensland before a continuing wheel noise became increasingly worse. Upon expection I realize it was a collapsed front wheel bearing. Luckily with this forums help.. Several board members donated time and parts to help me out. Special thanks to Matt and Shannon who live in Townsville for their help. Especially without Shannons (Point) help we would still be stranded and most definately not have enough money to complete our trip.

After the big repair and a quick service, several smaller still existing problems have come to light which I have not yet been able to sort out and may not be able to till we return home.

A nagging engine oil smoke has become belowing at times from the exhaust... Mainly at idle and when driving in the morning after idle. Turbo oil seal maybe? Also an increasingly worsening exhaust leake or maybe the mufler has completely caved in on me. And a blown rear shock that did appear to have blown all it's oil everywhere some few thousand km back.

All in all the forester has done great considering it's 2l engine compacity but probably not really suitable for such an epic voyage. Fuel consumption has ranged drastically depending on wind direction from between 5-8 km per liter of fuel and maintaining the use of premium fuels around the top end of WA was a challenge.

Currently north of Brisbane a little behind scedule but we have plenty of time to catch up. I will try and keep you guys up to date with my progress and catch up with a few board members on the way.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 am

A rather epic journey so far and congratulations to all the board memebers who have helped

I did notice in one of your posts that you were in or near Rockhampton aka Rockvegas aka Cow town, don't know if you are coming back across the top or retracing you steps but if you head back down towards Brisbane look for a place called Agnes Waters or The Town of 1770 on the way they were rather beautiful 20 years ago

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 am

If you come to tassie let us know so we can meet up!
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Sounding good and hope you're enjoying yourselves other than the little issues :)

Where's the pics Dave??
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm

hows the bushmans beard going David?

Jonno spec yet?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Yeah sounds like good fun.
I want to see some pics too:P
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I think i can safely say for all the Townsville board members, it was no drama's at all, the least we could do for a fellow Subi Nut... :) Have a safe trip the rest of the way and agree with where are the pics??
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 am

good effort i reckon dave!! hope you sort out your smoke issue asap, if you havent by the time you get to brisbane i know a few people and places that do subaru that will be able to help you.

also it must be time for some pics!! or ban!!

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Return to “Subaru Chat”