Suspension lift.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
poprock1

Suspension lift.

Post by poprock1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am

Some recent posts have discussed adjustable suspension. I can remember the road test when this car was released which said that it was adjustable very quickly with a spanner. Is this on the 89 L series wagon or only on MY or Brumbies? With 290kg's of batteries behind the rear seat of the Subelec L series the sills are still parallel to the ground but not much travel left . :confused:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 am

I have not seen adjustable front suspension for an L.Series but the rears on the early L.Series (I think 85 to 87) had 3 different settings on the rear shocks. The L.Series doesn't have the wind-up setup like the M.Y.Series but I can't see why you couldn't use the bottom piece of the M.Y. and the top of the L. but this is just the front. The rears you'll still need to find the early model ones as the M.Y. uses a torsion bar and unable to fit in a L.Series without some major work.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 am

ive seen adjustable as per the MY on the early L-series.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:49 am

With the weight you're carrying, surely a heavier coil would be a safer solution.
Settlement Creek Racing

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:05 pm

L series does have front and rear adjustable sus. well touring wagons do, the base plate on the rear has 3 stages. you just compress the spring and rotate it to the level desired.

the front has two nuts under the base plate that wind it up on threaded rod. no need to compress the spring but jack that corner up and wind them the same amount.

tex

Post by tex » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:57 pm

K mac do some for falcons and commodores as their alternative to coil overs
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:42 pm

shuffbag wrote:L series does have front and rear adjustable sus. well touring wagons do, the base plate on the rear has 3 stages. you just compress the spring and rotate it to the level desired.

the front has two nuts under the base plate that wind it up on threaded rod. no need to compress the spring but jack that corner up and wind them the same amount.
All L's I've seen with original L front struts don't have adjusters. But MY struts can be used in L's with the strut tops swapped over.

85 (and maybe 86) L's had adjustable rear like you explained, but the replacement shocks don't have this.

For the rear, if you don't plan on offroading you can get late 80's Honda Accord front springs to fit in the rear. Stiffer and raises it up by an inch with standard load. If you bump stop it often these can pop the spring perch off the shocker and cause a heap of dramas!
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “Subaru Chat”