2010 Diesel Drivetrain shudder

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
pitrack_1

Plug in, switch on to a clutchful of trouble!

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:30 am

(Trimmed my previous crap for brevity :-))
pitrack_1 wrote:
We'll find out tomorrow if we have a similar issue.
Errr...no we don't have a similar issue. I have some egg on my face for making assumptions...

The readout was a "clutch switch code"- there's a weird one for you! Are there any electronic/hydraulic/electric clutches in the differentials? Or just to do with the good-ol' manual clutch?

The only generic OBD-II clutch switch code I can find in a list is "P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction" although there are also some Subaru-specific clutch codes.

Again the dealer was up front with my wife and we weren't charged, so thumbs up to them. Unfortunately my wife didn't obtain the *actual* code (I did ask her to...) and in the meantime our infant has distracted me from purchasing an OBD-II readout device. The dealer cancelled the code however they did say if occurs again then we'll have to bring the vehicle back to have the switch replaced. I wonder what the supply situation on those may be?

I guess this means any number of things could trigger these two lights (CEL and VDC warning light).

Pitrack_1

teye

No issues from Perth

Post by teye » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 pm

In fact I have had 2 issues in the last six months 1 cost me $75.00 and today $150 and 2 points :p

Mess

Post by Mess » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Interesting update.

While the Forester was in for the 25k service last week, I got an update on the shudder issue. Apparently Subaru is developing a PACK file (whatever that is). It appears that it may be a software issue after all.

They also recommended using BP diesel only as it is the fuel that causes the fewest problems.

We'll see what eventuates. Haven't had the shudder since about April. Economy has improved since 20k kms. Averaging around 6.4l/100km these days.

Can anyone recommend an obd reader setup that is user friendly and affordable?

Mess

Post by Mess » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Local dealer rang today. Japanese techs visiting next week and they are taking our car for five days for diagnostics. Also taking another diesel from the same dealership. They are certainly taking it seriously.

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey Mess with the shudder almost non existent in these cooler months especially in ACT what will the techs find? Please keep us posted as Ive had no news from my dealer... Not looking forward to summer if the issue is not resolved by then...

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Mess wrote:Local dealer rang today. Japanese techs visiting next week and they are taking our car for five days for diagnostics. Also taking another diesel from the same dealership. They are certainly taking it seriously.
Why wouldn't they?, it has to be hurting their sales figures to some degree and I'm not just talking about the diesel forester either, it wouldn't be looking good for the brand name as a whole.
Peter

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:34 am

Hey Mess any updates on what happened when techs took the car?? thanks

Mess

Post by Mess » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Nothing yet. They've had it for a week. They haven't been able to make it play up...we've had pretty cold ambient temps.

Was going to pick it up today but they rang to say they're sending our injectors to the manufacturer for testing. Replacing the injectors is a big job so it wasn't ready today. Maybe tomorrow?

SambOz

Very disappointed !!

Post by SambOz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Our 6/2010 diesel Forester is just under 20,000 km's now and we've had it 12 months.

Fuel economy is still around 6.0 to 6.2 l/100km, so very happy with that and the driveability/handling of the car.

Problems have arisen though that have us wishing we had bought something else........

The engine has stalled three times, twice for MrsS and once on me after idling at traffic light after a 80km trip, its was not driver error....Subaru dealer says nothing on computer to identify any malfunction.

Then three weeks ago we were in the snow and coming home on sweeping left hand bends we all (four in the car) heard a loud thud in the rear left hand area of the car. Had a look under it, all looked OK and told the Dealer about it.....not really interested, can you call back when we book it in for a check in two or three days. Not easy when they are 80km from home.

Then today MrsS. heads off and comes back upset that two dash lights are on, the Engine Malfunction Indicator and the Vehicle Dynamics Control. Contacted Dealer and taking it down Thursday, another 160KM's to waste our bloody time and money for fuel.

"Yes, its a warranty issue, no we don't have manpower to attend your home to hook up computer and see whats wrong. OK to drive it by the sound of it so just come down then."

Bought it because it was an economical diesel, suited our long term plan for ownership, reputation (and our prevSub. experience) for reliability and fully expected many years of long term trouble free motoring.

Paid nearly $40K for that expectation !!

Nearing the end of our patience with this Diesel Forester, its not going to get many more chances and it will be out the gate.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 am

A mates Pug oiler is doin same cut out at roundabouts or other turns, no CEL or nothn' and retarts - very random

SambOz

Post by SambOz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Dealer tells us today that the fault code is C 0057, the VDC detecting low voltage !

Also told, on another forum, that the DPF has to be replaced on the 2l turbo diesel in Aus at 120,000km, $3,000.......any info out there ?

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Sworn to secrecy on what, however progress is being made resolving the shudder. Can't say any more.

Mess

Post by Mess » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:48 pm

The check engine light and vdc light are almost certainly failed glowplugs and a blown fuse that goes with it. There are at least two of us who have had that issue. If the glow plugs are replaced, make sure they also replace the relevent fuse.

With regard to the shudder, we picked up the car today after the Japanese engineers had fiddled with it for 8 days. I haven't been sworn to secrecy and I was told they're very confident it is an injector fault. They've replaced all 4 injectors with modified injectors (modifications not specified), are sending them to Denso and are confident the new injectors will fix the problem. Probably won't know for a few months, until the ambient temps get over 20 degrees C as my car hasn't shuddered since March.

wbj

Post by wbj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Mess
Which year is your diesel? When did the shudder start?

Mess

Post by Mess » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Mine is a 2010 model and the shudder started in January.

wbj

Post by wbj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Mess wrote:Mine is a 2010 model and the shudder started in January.
How many k's on the clock when it started?

Mess

Post by Mess » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 pm

About 12k

Not Happy Jan !!

Post by Not Happy Jan !! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Well I have had a patch uploaded to my Outback about a week ago by the dealer and have had no problems since ! Fuel economy is sitting around 5.8 around town, more acceleration has also been noticed. Will be towing the boat over the weekend so that should load the engine up ! Will update you all next week.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 pm

I was talking to a guy the other day who has a TD Foz that he has put close to 40k kms on.

He says he hasn't had any issues, even the dealer asked him at his last service.

He reckons he drives it pretty hard, but still gets fuel economy in the 6s
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

SambOz

Shades of citrus !

Post by SambOz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:17 am

Parked the diesel Forester after getting home from the dealer last Thursday, MrsS was 5metres out of garage yesterday (Saturday) and the VDC & EMI lights came on again.

Started and ran very smooth when she got in it, white frost overnight., don't know about glow plugs, they are not affecting starting or cold running ?

Can't see ownership of this car much longer, the dealer isn't fixing it and Subaru has these problems Aus. wide..........getting to the stage of calling the car by that well known name....LEMON...thats it !!!

Return to “Subaru Chat”