Let me get this right...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Let me get this right...

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

G'day all,

Just been reading a build thread by subarubrumby that turned into a bit of a shit-fight. I don't agree with those who justify it as a bit of friendly barter! This was beyond that. Yes he is young, new to the forum and has enthusiasm.

To me the treatment he copped over some rims - that I don't think look as bad as everyone made out them to be (not my style though, but each to their own) - was not what this forum is about. I don't want to sound like some "higher above everyone else" authority, we all enjoy some off topic chat, friendly slander between those who we know a little better.

I also don't like the way the thread was shut down just as it got to the point of having a build thread. My thoughts are that Alex had enough of the whole saga and decided to cancel further discussions. Damage already done Alex, you didn't have to out-do a new-green-around-the-edges member of the forum, I would have thought you were better than that.

I'm disappointed and hope not to read another thread like this on the forum... I just hope that subarubrumby has the courage to stand up again and get on with his thread build - ultimately it is HIS ride and he can do what ever he wants, all we can give is some advice without the sting/bite.

Thoughts of others?

End rant

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 pm

bennie i agree to a point, subarubrumby was stirring the pot as well, but in saying that, alex you should now better!! after all you are the one to be setting and example by having moderator privileges!!

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Well I agree that it got a bit out of control which is why personally tried to maintain a civil tongue. It never even ended up as a classified listing which seems to me as what it should have been. Attempts were made to re-focus his original intensions. In the end I think subarubrumby realised that and was starting to "come around". Perhaps Alex was just trying to terminate a messy situation so as to start afresh.
I thought it was kinda funny after a while:twisted:, however people need to realise the consequenses of throwing around certain types of insults (discrimination etc. ) on a public forum.

Now back to it!

Hopefully the young lad will take all this onboard and try again with the benefit of experience and a clear goal of what he wants to achieve with that Brumby. :)

Jayman

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:01 pm

*facepalm*

is all I have to say :roll:

Yeah it did get a bit silly quickly, alot of it could have been avoided if no one tried to be sarcastic on the internet, it doesn't always work when it's just text and people can take it too seriously.

Hope everyone can move on
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Obviously after I went out the fur started to fly... dang I was hoping to sit back and watch it all unfold.

On a more serious note, when I was a moderator on a download board, threads like that one were shut and binned just for being in the wrong place, let alone the flaming, which would have got it shut as well. (My comment would have got it shut and it was harmless).

The moderators have a job to do and in my opinion, if members overstep the mark then why can't the moderators, moderators aren't machines, as well I've seen an administrator get involved in a flame war, it was one of the funniest threads I've ever read. which lead to several new members being banned and having their IPS blocked as well.

anyone keep a transcript so I can have a giggle in private?

EDIT: now that was funny

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 pm

did not see this thread i believe? or only when it was in its inception?

I remember knowing nothing about cars when i bought my first vortex in 2007
and had fully hectic plans and what now seem like stupid "DUH!" questions.

it all starts somewhere. everyone has different tastes. i hate 80 percent of the
things i see on the street but im glad people are expressing themselves.

i too hope he gives it another go on the forum.
there is to much knowledge here to just give up on.

cheers,
Samuel
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm

The trouble with the world these days is you can be doing something for 30 years and some teenager will come along and swing words around like "old fart" and "no taste".

What ever happened to respect.

You learn the right way from others who have been there.

Especially the ones that are trade qualified, 3 quals in my case.
Regards

Gary ;)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Gary, take consolation in the fact that if times are bad now with the youngest generation - just imagine the grief that their kids will provide them with.

Jayman

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm

FujiFan wrote:Gary, take consolation in the fact that if times are bad now with the youngest generation - just imagine the grief that their kids will provide them with.

Jayman
A very good point, and so true. ;)
Regards

Gary ;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah, I agree and feel the super moderator is yet to hit brain maturity at 25 years of age or thereabouts and may have looked better if another moderator closed it down with the expectation it will be reopened when those insults have been removed. Sort it out at the next big BBQ boys. Any red Brumby with a bungey cord tarp looks cool to me , this one more so - as it is different to what I have seen before.

Gotta say those rims rolling circumference will not pass scrutiny set down by the proper authority. Just as an old Volvo getting through state pits can get over without spotting a roo ted strut and missing wheel nut is reallly passable - call it an oversight.

Hey, many of us drive not so obvious oversights around without a care to the fuel efficiency or dynamics

And for those without Brumbys, big secret is out - CHICKS DIG 'EM :) (internationally)

Actually, first time I saw this shot of the Brum and its wheels I thought it was photoshopped. Thought some typical questions from us would have been is it photoshopped, five stud hubs from what and how, or redrilled 18"s, how is the clearance of the guards or how is the ride, how many backpackers have you met? (you know, just one seat for a passenger and a tray to drop their heavy bloody packs :) )

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 am

Bennie.. like me, you are free to say what you feel on this subject but I'd say from my position, I was only having some fun (and it was only friendly BANTER), I know it's hard to show facial expressions in text but the point was we expressed our thoughts (VERY politely I might add) and all we got told was, that we are TOO old. I think enough has been said and I apologised to 'subarubrumby' and hope that he took me sincerely. I also wish him all the best with his sales and hope this hasn't discouraged him in any way.

I'm a Brizzy boy too and know we are a tough bunch of blokes.. so he'll be fine :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 am

i have an 'immature brain' (it wont be mature until im 25 apparantly) Thats my excuse..

yeh it may have snowballed quickly and there were afew 'off the mark' comments made from both parties, and yes i admit i blabbed and definately crossed the line.

am i sorry? no.

if he wants to make a new thread he can. I personally wont be re-opening this one.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 am

Hehehe... I didn't start this thread to have all those involved justify themselves, sorry if it came across like that.

I've been talking to subarubrumby via PM about where to post his new thread and a few other bits of advice about posting while hot under the collar.

Paul, your deleted thread threw me, I had to read it three times to understand what was going on - that said I've had about 4/5 hrs sleep for the last 4 nights, I'm surprised I don't have a migraine yet and hoping I won't be getting one all year.

As I said in my first thread, I hope not to read another one like this - that was the point I was trying to make, yes it is now in the history books and there's nothing we can do other than learn and move on ;)

Have a good weekend, mines already started :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 am

Alex wrote:i have an 'immature brain' (it wont be mature until im 25 apparantly) Thats my excuse..

alex
We know :p but we've learned just to accept you as you are.. hehe
El_Freddo wrote:Hehehe... I didn't start this thread to have all those involved justify themselves, sorry if it came across like that.

I've been talking to subarubrumby via PM about where to post his new thread and a few other bits of advice about posting while hot under the collar.

Paul, your deleted thread threw me, I had to read it three times to understand what was going on - that said I've had about 4/5 hrs sleep for the last 4 nights, I'm surprised I don't have a migraine yet and hoping I won't be getting one all year.

As I said in my first thread, I hope not to read another one like this - that was the point I was trying to make, yes it is now in the history books and there's nothing we can do other than learn and move on ;)

Have a good weekend, mines already started :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
Oh no.. I'm not saying this thread was about that but I feel somewhat to blame for encouraging it.. I too should have know better. I will try and hold my tongue/fingers a little better next time ;)

I'm sorry if my edited/deleted bit made it a bit confusing. I just hit enter without really thinking straight. I'm not going to repeat what I typed as I feel bad for typing it the first time :( I hope to never to do it again.. unless I can get spanked but some hot looking chick from the "Million Dollar Babe's" club :mrgreen:

Now as for the weekend :twisted: I KILL YOU !! mine is 3 weeks away :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 am

And Alex, may not have read that scientists claim that although our bodies mature before 25 , evidence suggests our brains don't. And when you turn 25 you will understand, but maybe not until your 26th birthday - so you have something else in life to look forward to. And when you hit 29 I think you can escape insurance companies age brackets for car insurance. Then if you hit 55 that is where they can refuse you self employed insurance if you apply above that age :)

Anyhow, is there something in the rules not to make adverse comment re gender or sexuality so as not offend any members or others in the community? So maybe it should be refrased that you observed a a pair of males (over 25) holding hands and admiring same rims on same coloured Brumby ?

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

It's a good point bennie, I must admit the moment I read it (with the two seconds of internet I had...thanks to that bloody brisbane river having a disagreement with my house) I thought some of the childish name calling was out of place however if I was to insult guys that are much older and more experienced than I, I would hope I would be put in my place haha...I just think that a little bit of respect on all levels will help..

Saying that ...nobody wants a perfect politically correct world...differing opinions are what make this forum interesting
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Return to “Subaru Chat”