VORTEX pitfalls ...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

VORTEX pitfalls ...

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Just what are the pitfalls of the old Vortex's? Sort of recall that sunroofs leak to the point of rusted out, dash tops got blistered by the sun something shocking.

Door hinges handle things OK?

Rust at base of screen like all other of same era?

anything else?

Have spotted a tidy AWD turbo on an out of town expedition and wondering if it is beyond the owners current needs :)

all dash switches?

Dunno what came over me to look closer at it to see the AWD TURBO decals on the side, its got me thinking.....

SLAP ME !

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 am

Things you listed plus the dimmer switches fail, door handle cover springs fail and many parts are no longer available genuine.

Was it auto or manual? What colour?
Settlement Creek Racing

1111giles

Jonno's vortex lust !

Post by 1111giles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:39 am

GO ON JONNO ! - You know (deep down) .... you want to ! :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 am

No he doesn't , he's one of the deathbirds circling in the mid day sun waiting for Ellie to die . Much better selection of hard to find bitz ...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 am

Yeah Jono, buy it.

You would not have asked us if the thought hadn't crossed your mind.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

H-top

Post by H-top » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:20 am

Best place for handles is the us as they had one
of the largest numbers imported and they
drive on the wrong side of the road so the
"proper" drivers side handle is basically unworn.

Oh, and the dash facia surround is made of the
weakest plastic known to man.

Get it!

Cheers,
S
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 am

Jonno - If it needs a dashboard I have could well have spare one - as you know I have a totally sound XT AND A SCRAPPER !! .:mrgreen:
As you know the sun we get here simply isnt strong enough to kill dash boards.
Both mine are like new - neither has any sun cracks at all.

Thinks to himself ...... could start a tidy line in export of Brumby dashes and one XT dash !:rolleyes:

Here is the scrapper. Just going to strip off what I need and some other stuff and away it will go to the Subaru scrapyard in the sky ! (its rotten see and its had the engine and rear discs robbed before I got it)
[ATTACH]2624[/ATTACH]

Here's the inside - it was an Autobox.

[ATTACH]2625[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2011-02-06_16-45-05_529.jpg
2011-02-06_16-45-05_529.jpg (81.55 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
2011-02-06_16-43-55_236.jpg
2011-02-06_16-43-55_236.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 am

its that bloody dash top and surround that has had me sickened each time I have looked at them missing or bitten, and yummo, looking at yours XXXXs I can see you being hassled from around the globe now you told the world - maybe delete the above until I find out !!

I assumed it was manual, but now think it may just be one of those 4EAT of which I had agreat spare until I tripped over it too many times, no one wanted it at the time and it weighed 110kgs with its torque converter and fluid.
If it is auto and it is for sale and is affordable and if I can find place to keep it and if it ... it looks well cared for externally but looking at other toys on display they are having more fun with those this may be a thorn in side :) :) for either of us

Gees, I ned to grow up and reduce my collection not increase it , can see myself now, then seeing need to buy a ssppaarree

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 am

That shape is still so futuristic - an electric conversion would be appropriate to feed an AWD box :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Go for it Jonno :) there is lots of things that go wrong on an old car but that's the fun of them.

Giles.. I'd be interested in a good RHD dash surround (black piece) if there's some spare ones around? Also need a RH door mirror.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

what about the fact that theyre very much dog ugly and only look good lifted with big tyres?

or lowered with big rims...

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 pm

thank fuji beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The very first Vortex anywhere in my life was the pride and joy of a right wally/tosser so i figured then I hated his choice of car as well. Amazing what a nice set of well shod alloy wheels can do to a silver car.

The LPG bottle can go in the rear seat area to retain boot space, keeping weight central and can line up behind all my projects I have i mind until I hit the old retirement age of 65 , friends and family now see me as a little eccentric me thinks

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:09 am

Dear Lord,
Please tell me WTF have I started ? (Dash board wise) :rolleyes:
Ok ok Ok -

The scrapper was bought to ensure I could get my 'good' XT (vortex) shipshape and on the road.

I doubt I will need the dashboard but I may need the switches on the funny little stalks.

I guess I have already given Jonno first tabs on the dash if he needs it. Pm me if you do want it Jonno ok ?

There really aint any of these still around in the UK - but I'll put my feelers out to see if I can track anymore down.

More info as it all un-wraps !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 am

No probs Giles :)

My XT4T is for my son who doesn't get his learners for another 3 months, so no rush. I think the car was ahead of it's time but it was based on Subaru involvement in the aero industry.

I just read something I didn't know about them.. so look out Giles, PM is on it's way :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

coupe

Where to start

Post by coupe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:36 pm

I have 3 vortexes currently
2 running, 1 scrapper.
Yes the dash surround and top are prone to turning to sh*t in our sun. The sun roof is the cause of nearly all the rust issues in the vortex. The main reason is the tubes that drain the water out get blocked.This floods the R/h windscreen support. There is a spot about 3'' up from the base of the windscreen on the right hand side where because of the sun roof ,rust will crack the windscreen here.
Under the car the sub frame below the front guards will rust out because thats where the water goes when the tubes are blocked. The front guards will also rust because of the same thing. The sun roof is an reasonable easy fix. It is only a glued in panel, you can take it out with a hot air gun. then get it repaired. Most people put it in the too hard basket but if you take care of it as a piority and not just seal up the roof with salastic like most people do, then you stop nearly all the rust issues. the engines have grooved belts and different pulleys to the L series cars and the power steering pump sits lower in the mounts. the radiators are pathetic.You are better finding a 89 4wd auto touring wagon radiator which is dual core to replace it or get a custom one made.
The the left hand pop up headlight is the one that can play up. it will stop just short of full close.
if you have airbag suspension then you will need to check the bags for wear. you can drain the bags and put a little bit of the spray green puncture proof goo in the bags. this stops most of the deflate problems.
The rest of the car is basicly L series . The back brakes on the turbo are vented.
Most vortexs end up in front enders, so a wreck for spares is a good idea. Also having the wreck really saves money and time in the fixing.
Now the good stuff.
They are a joy to drive and handle like a go kart even in there basic form. the awd single range gearbox is blast.
They still turn heads when you drive them down the street.
Cheers Pete
Use The Fork Luke

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Gees, I sure hope the current owner does not read this.... have to investigtae ...handle like a go kart ! Why did I not get told this before now?

Reading the grief of them starts to sound like similar dart shape TR7

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Giles Industries may have to make a mould and reproduction items for this dash surround ... you been getting a few PMs there Giles ?

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm

They'd handle like a slightly wider/longer/heavier L Series because thats basically what they are .
XTs I'm told were built on the L Series line in Japan and in the 4 cylinder have pretty much the same driveline .
I've been away from this stuff for a while but my memory is saying that XT4s had a larger diameter rear anti roll bar than an RX L Series and anything you can do in this area helps out big time .
Open center diff AWD in the later ones stops them driving like a FrWD POS so I guess if you've never experienced AWD and larger bars in an L or XT a later XT would feel good - well better anyway .

A .

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 am

steptoe wrote:giles industries may have to make a mould and reproduction items for this dash surround ... You been getting a few pms there giles ?
yes !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 am

Might have to put a stop to that Giles, and follow up on this to say I caught up with the owner near his dinner time. The AWD EA82T Silver Vortex is definitely NOT, repeat NOT FOR SALE. Story to it too. Owner tells me I was lucky to even see it as it is usually covered over . That is as far as luck is going I am afraid.
Owner is actually a member here with an STi at the time, made enquiries here about the one owner from Coffs, or was it Port Macquarie and some of youse knew it. Now has just over 200,000 km on it, has had the AC system rebuilt and will be the manual car his kids learn to drive in, and still gets calls from owner number 1 wanting to know if they can buy it back - owner and his kids ! So fat chance of me getting my mitts on it - there goes another one, blub, blub, blub

Story is that it was purchased with mid life crisis in mind, either to help or prevent one, not sure. But this fella, Andrew wanted one way back when they were in showroom order books and there was no way the banks would lend the 18 or 19 year old the 30 odd gorillas required - he tried. Well , he has fixed that now, found it online and trucked it south.

I may trouble him for a look another day.... a ride even ??

As for the interior trim sitting in a holding yard in the UK - guess I have to decline on Giles's kind offer, and seeing as though the cordinator of the power steering Brumby set up for the only air conditioned Brumby MV1800 in the UK was Mr Paul I guess the freighting in is your problem.

Return to “Subaru Chat”