L soon to be back on road..2 cooked motors..

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tony

L soon to be back on road..2 cooked motors..

Post by tony » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 am

L will be back on road soon, after cooking two motors, the first one ended up with 2 pistons with holes in them, the second someone left the radiator cap loose and it got rather warm just out of lancelin, had to struggle down in 2nd gear about 6 k to the town, got the RAC to tow me home on tilttray with the trailer hooked.
the motor was spewing out huge clouds of smoke, couldn't see hardly a thing behind me but the poor sods following me at 10kph couldn't overtake as the smokescreen was everywhere. and I was not about to pull over and let them pass, I might never have got going again. besides what did they ever do for me?
the motor still runs but I dread opening it, so bought a couple more 92 and 89 subies, one a turbo efi and the other a carby model like mine, was going to do the conversion then could not be bothered, so sold the turbo one on to a local ( I now hear he s going to flog it off because too much rust to ever see a licenced road again) the carby one I spent the last couple of days stripping cut the most of the body off down to the floor level and got the motor out ready to fit in to mine. the motor does run, I ran it before removing. the body had severe rust but all the bolt on panels are really nice clean parts and the upholstery is ok but could do with a good clean. it is a sort of silvery blue colour.
Guyph sorry mate my camera won't download to my computer but just got back from geraldton and have bought a card reader which should hopefully allow me to send pics.
will be fitting new big ends as I always do if I pull a motor, it has only done 180 odd thou k but new bearings won't hurt and are good insurance. won't bother with mains too much effort.
will be flogging off all the bits gearbox rear axles towbar nudge bar (actually cut down roobar in alloy) interior etc also has LPG with about 3 1/2 years to run available will advertise them when ready (haven't received confirmation of my subscription paid last week yet, hint hint).
tried out my new AEG sabre saw what a ripper great for destroying car bodies and can use one handed much easier than my big old Makita burnt out one.
have to also replace exhaust manifold studs as the nuts were severely rusted on.

Return to “Subaru Chat”