Newbie with a couple of Liberty questions

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
LIFTED

Newbie with a couple of Liberty questions

Post by LIFTED » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

I've seen a 89 Liberty for sale. auto with just over 110 000 ks on the clock. I've had a look on the net for their fuel economy and I've read they do about 11.5l/100ks around town and 8l/100ks on the highway. The 11.5 around town seems a bit high for a 4 cylinder, just wondered is this correct? what do some of the guys with Liberties here get?
Is it possible to turn off/disable the AWD and run it as a front wheel drive around town?
If I go and look at this car any tips on common issues that go wrong with this model I should look out for?

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Yes you can put a fuse in to make it permanently FWD but I think it is not recommended to do this for long period - it is only designed for towing so you don't stuff the auto.

11.5 around would be about right due to the AWD - but if you drive with economy in mind and have the car in tip top shape (good shocks, tyres and correct tyre pressure) then you may get close to 10l/100 - I used to get almost that in my Gen 2 (1996) Liberty and easily get it in my Gen 3 (1999) Outback.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for the info.
I just spoke to the seller, he says it's a 1.8l 1988 which seems strange as wiki says they were not introduced to Australia until 89

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:23 am

i suspect that would be an L series, not a Liberty.

if it is:
it will be part time 4wd but normally just front wheel drive.
you will get better fuel economy, 10l/100km (i have had mine around 9.2 driving very nicely with premium fuel).

the flip side is it will feel absolutely gutless compared to a liberty, unless it is a turbo model. Also dont get in the habbit of driving in 4wd on dry roads.

and good work finding one with that many k's too!

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:54 am

Heres some pics of the car I have uploaded on another website I use, it looks like the badge says Legacy
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Media/View/ ... &p=Surfing

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:55 am

Yeah definitely not a Liberty - they are 2.2l and weren't made before 1989
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 am

mainbreak wrote:Heres some pics of the car I have uploaded on another website I use, it looks like the badge says Legacy

Legacy is a JDM version of our Liberty.

Means little, save they sell for a bit less than their AUDM cousins. Parts are the same.

Sometimes there can be compliance issues depending how they were imported, so best to sort this prior to purchase esp if crossing state boundaries...

What $$$ are they chasing? They are not worth a lot (see 2nd Hand Yank thread) and present good value at that end of the market.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 am

sven '2' wrote:legacy is a jdm version of our liberty.

Means little, save they sell for a bit less than their audm cousins. Parts are the same.

Sometimes there can be compliance issues depending how they were imported, so best to sort this prior to purchase esp if crossing state boundaries...

What $$$ are they chasing? They are not worth a lot (see 2nd hand yank thread) and present good value at that end of the market.

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:28 pm

get a 2.2L engine the extra capacity is very helpful, in my experience with the 2.0L engines in impreza and the foresters they're quite gutless in comparison to the 2.2 or 2.5 and you'll be able to find a not to bad one for around that cash mark.
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 pm

As this is a JDM version of the aus liberty, I notice the shape of the lights and grill is different (looks more modern to me) so are say busted indicator light covers or bent panels easy to get in Oz? and later down the track will a 2.2 engine fit in without any mods to the engine bay?

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 pm

The 2.0l in my Foz goes good but when you load it up and either have to overtake on the highway or need that big extrapower to move that 1.5tonne of shit added to your sube it would help. I would recommend getting a Subie with the EJ22 or EJ25 for that extra power.

I will admit though I do get good fuel economy. I get 600km to a tank around town and fill up 48-55L.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

mainbreak wrote:Heres some pics of the car I have uploaded on another website I use, it looks like the badge says Legacy

mainbreak wrote:As this is a JDM version of the aus liberty, I notice the shape of the lights and grill is different (looks more modern to me) so are say busted indicator light covers or bent panels easy to get in Oz? and later down the track will a 2.2 engine fit in without any mods to the engine bay?
These are the same as our Gen1 Ser1 Libertys but this is a Japanese import with the EJ18 SPFI engine. Not a great model. I'd recommend you keep looking for a 2.2 Liberty with Dual Range if you want the Liberty style.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:05 pm

OK thanks. It looks like I will have to keep looking, I had arranged to see the car at 5.30pm and he just sent me a text at 4.50pm saying it had been sold! So as they weren't a good model probably just as well then, plus I wasn't too keen on the brown colour, I did like the low kms.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm

It's an import brought in by JWS Wangarra by the looks of the sticker so it "should" be legal as it is regoed, if you are not interested in power it should be a good car with those K's, economy will be a little better than a 2.2 but I'd leave the fuse out of the auto as apparently it's not good for them over time, I had a 2L quad cam auto legacy wagon of the same age for a few years and couldn't fault it, much nicer than the Liberty with climate control air & better quality upholstery, even had chrome door handles lol.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Subaru Chat”