unlicensed 97 outback

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
LIFTED

unlicensed 97 outback

Post by LIFTED » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 pm

I've just found a 97 Outback auto unlicensed with 132000 k's for $2000 which I'm going to check out tomorrow morning. He let the rego run out about 4 months ago. It looks pretty clean and tidy in his pics.
Does anyone know is it easy or hard to get a car re licensed here in WA
Also can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Perth NoR incase it may need some work done to get it re licensed.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm

I can't help with getting it relicenced but if your not going to fix it up yourself and there are issues with it then it will likely be costly. You could be putting more money into it than its worth. It doesn't hurt to check it out though.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm

if it is in good condition and it shouldn't bee too bad with only 132000 km on the clock I would grab it

licensing

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

apg39

Post by apg39 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Pretty sure up to 3 months doesn't need anything, just pay rego. But once it's over 3 months I imagine you'd need to get it inspected?
Cheers,
Andrew

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm

low kms doesn't mean anything - my 96 Liberty only had 160,000 when I bought it earlier this year and it appeared to be in excellent condition. Within 2 months engine started rattling, CV's failed, engine idle fluctuating and stalling occassionally, brakes needed doing.......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 pm

niterida wrote:low kms doesn't mean anything - my 96 Liberty only had 160,000 when I bought it earlier this year and it appeared to be in excellent condition. Within 2 months engine started rattling, CV's failed, engine idle fluctuating and stalling occassionally, brakes needed doing.......
+1

I bought my 01 foz last year with 119,000km. Shes now at 149,000km. I have already needed a new CV, about 4 CV boots, clutch (2000km ago which was $1300), new springs + rear shocks/struts ($1000), brake rotors and pads allround.

Low km means nothing really.... but atleast you know if you get a few things fixed on a car you buy that those things aren't going to fail or break anytime soon.

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah I have to go and check it out, if it looks a bit suss I'll walk away
I've got a bit of a guide of things to look for http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... ehicle.pdf
It's a bit of a gamble but I could score a bargain.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 am

bought a subi $400 Gx liberty with over 300,000 for a mate as the car was trashed and had dents all over, he's been driving it for a year now and only done a minor service:) no major issues lol...

Yeah i saw that outback. sounded sus, i didn't bother..
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:00 am

guyph_01 wrote:bought a subi $400 Gx liberty with over 300,000 for a mate as the car was trashed and had dents all over, he's been driving it for a year now and only done a minor service:) no major issues lol...
My old RS Liberty had 317,000kms on it - original untouched engine and gearbox - the only thing wrong with it was slightly worn synchros on 2nd gear. Everything else worked 100% and did so for the 30,000kms I put on it before I sold it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:33 am

I think the more they have the better:p
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:06 am

taza wrote:I bought my 01 foz last year with 119,000km. Shes now at 149,000km. I have already needed a new CV, about 4 CV boots, clutch (2000km ago which was $1300), new springs + rear shocks/struts ($1000), brake rotors and pads allround.
What you've listed there are pretty much all "consumables" (spelling??). Nothing unusual with needing a new clutch at that distance travelled if it lived in town. The boots could have been a change in driving habits/parking conditions/119k km of wear and tear they were already carrying!

I guess what I'm saying is that while it supports your argument about low k subi's, looking at the bigger picture there's more to it.

The outback would be worth a look so long as you don't have buyer envy and purchase it because your heart says yes and your head says no.

Also find out where it was last registered and where it has lived in the last two years - there are loads of subi's hitting the market from flood affected areas, while they may be fixed and running there might be more issues than what first meets the eye, but this could also be worth the price depending on what you're willing to commit to.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:16 am

taza wrote:+1

I bought my 01 foz last year with 119,000km. Shes now at 149,000km. I have already needed a new CV, about 4 CV boots, clutch (2000km ago which was $1300), new springs + rear shocks/struts ($1000), brake rotors and pads allround.

Low km means nothing really.... but at least you know if you get a few things fixed on a car you buy that those things aren't going to fail or break anytime soon.
Taza I seem to recall you we talking about getting your forester to do 200 km/h in one thread :)

and in another thread you had your car stall on a 70 degree incline :)

different driving styles cause different problems in a car

the point here is that the car is a 97 outback that is 3 months out of rego. even if it needs xxx dollars worth of work to get it on the road, it would still be worth it and mainbreak may even be able to get the price down.

in the end someone will buy it and either re register it or wreck it (Guy would wreck it :))

TOONGA

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:32 am

TOONGA wrote: in the end someone will buy it and either re register it or wreck it (Guy would wreck it :))
:rolleyes::mrgreen::twisted:

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the tips . I don't have buyer envy I have "over the pits fear" I'd hate for the inspectors to give me a huge list of things to fix, that will cost me buckets of money! Plus if it's got no plates I'm not sure how I'm going to get it home and I can't exactly test drive it with no plates, hmm lots of pros and cons. Im going to call him shortly to arrange to look at it.

Aaaaagh just called and text no answer, no message bank!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:44 pm

TOONGA wrote:in the end someone will buy it and either re register it or wreck it (Guy would wreck it :))

TOONGA
Nah.. he'd try and screw the owner down to $500 and then he'd take it home, spend another $500 (money from all those auto gearboxes) and then he'd advertise it in next weeks Quokka for $5000

:p:p:p: we love you Guy.. really.. we do
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:46 pm

mainbreak wrote:Thanks for the tips . I don't have buyer envy I have "over the pits fear" I'd hate for the inspectors to give me a huge list of things to fix, that will cost me buckets of money! Plus if it's got no plates I'm not sure how I'm going to get it home and I can't exactly test drive it with no plates, hmm lots of pros and cons. Im going to call him shortly to arrange to look at it.

Aaaaagh just called and text no answer, no message bank!
Clearly not interesting in selling it :???:

If you know someone that works on cars or has registered a few over the years, then I'd take them along to check it out.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Nah.. he'd try and screw the owner down to $500 and then he'd take it home, spend another $500 (money from all those auto gearboxes) and then he'd advertise it in next weeks Quokka for $5000

:p:p:p: we love you Guy.. really.. we do
LOL

yep we do

"for a good deal come see Guy at HONEST GUY SMILIES USED CAR YARD..."

TOONGA

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Ok finally got in contact with the Guy, Met him at a empty house where he had a falcon and camry wagon he was also selling, he was a bit hard to understand he said he was from Egypt his English was poor.
Body was straight but the whole car was covered in armoral (gave it greasy smelly paint) silver bumpers were rough patchy from a spray can, tint had a couple of bubbles and demister didn't work, He said car was good and ready for licensing.
took it for a spin(1st Subi I've driven) it drove OK. Water was dripping out a muffler engine was very clean except for sump pan, oil was running over the front of this and dripping on driveway probably about 3 teaspoons for the 10 mins the car was running. I pointed out a few things and he fessed up he had taken it for inspection and he was told he only had to fix the oil leak, and replace a rubber steering arm boot, said he had the inspection sheet at his other house 30 min away, told me his wife was pregnant and he couldn't afford to get it fixed.
Plus when I looked at the odometer it said 310000 but his ad said 132000 maybe he had dislexia. He was so so super keen to sell it 2 other people came over when I was there looked at it and left. It all seemed a bit dodgy to me, so I didn't buy it. :-(

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:21 pm

yep best to leave that one well alone

TOONGA

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:41 pm

RSR 555 wrote: :p:p:p: we love you Guy.. really.. we do
TOONGA wrote:LOL

yep we do

"for a good deal come see Guy at HONEST GUY SMILIES USED CAR YARD..."

TOONGA
Of course you do, where else would you find 3 tail shafts to make one, a brumby filler fuel pipe or gen2 front bits, gen1 rear bumper and manual starters? :p

I've got EVERYTHING and anything you need :):D hahahaha

Great , I'll soon have an outback wreaking add then:D

Hahaha

P.s, I too love you guys and would be nowhere without your help:)

Return to “Subaru Chat”