Brumby Head Lights Dull

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
555Ron

Brumby Head Lights Dull

Post by 555Ron » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Does anyone have an electrical schematic diagram for a 1991 Brumby with Quad headlights? I have a Gregory's workshop manual with wiring diagrams but i can't work out how the circuit works from that?

The problem is the right hand lights are extremely dull to the point you have to look at them closely to see if they are on. The left hand lights work as usual. My driving lights do no work and the high beam indicator on the dash doesn't light up when they are on but the left hand high beams work fine. So i think maybe there is a high resistance joint somewhere under the dash and there isn't enough juice to close the driving light relay as it is tapped off one of the head lights. Can anyone help? Thanks.

silusboy

Post by silusboy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

First of all check all connections in the engine bay area, as it sounds like you have a bad earth around or near the headlights, Quite common fault.
Hope that helps

Subarubrumbyfan1991

Post by Subarubrumbyfan1991 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

i replaced mine with landcruiser headlights :) works well

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

check your fusable links as well the little buggers look fine, but after 20 + years they are sick of having current passed through them.

a little read for you

showthread.php?t=18205&highlight=fusable+links

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am

I have it booked in at the auto electricians next Monday. I have fiddled around with the relays and wiring, looked at the fuses but no luck. I took the dash out shortly before it started playing up so i may have upset a connector somewhere. I will let you know what it is next week...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 pm

silusboy wrote:First of all check all connections in the engine bay area, as it sounds like you have a bad earth around or near the headlights, Quite common fault.
Hope that helps
+1.. I had this a few times in various subies.

Also look at replacing your sealed beams with H4s and H1s.. these will need rewiring but you'll never regret it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Ok, so it was a blown fuse :oops: . But they didn't charge me anything to fix it and they got the Air Conditioner going so i'm very happy.

RSR, what are H4 and H1's? I was reading that 80 series landcruiser lights fit perfectly so i was going to use them. I was going to run a new circuit off the battery and use the current wiring loom at the lights to run the relay for the new lights as an easy fix? Sound good/bad? Cause the current lights are still shockingly bad! I think the parkers on most other cars are better then my high beam:(

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Subarubrumbyfan1991 wrote:i replaced mine with landcruiser headlights :) works well
i done this. soon i will re-wire them up so all 4 are low-beam/hi-beam :-)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 am

555Ron wrote:Ok, so it was a blown fuse :oops: . But they didn't charge me anything to fix it and they got the Air Conditioner going so i'm very happy.

RSR, what are H4 and H1's? I was reading that 80 series landcruiser lights fit perfectly so i was going to use them. I was going to run a new circuit off the battery and use the current wiring loom at the lights to run the relay for the new lights as an easy fix? Sound good/bad? Cause the current lights are still shockingly bad! I think the parkers on most other cars are better then my high beam:(
H4s and H1s are the types of globes used in the lenses. The factory ones are seal beams so you can't change the globe as such. If you buy the LC ones, they'll work great but you'll need to swap the wiring around a bit. I'd recommend you get them rewired with thicker wires and relays, that way you'll get to fit globes like 55/100W in them and man.. you'll be stoked :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”