Is anyone good at TIG welding of aluminium in WA?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
2nd Hand Yank

Is anyone good at TIG welding of aluminium in WA?

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

I just got a quote from a local fabricator,
of $200-250 + GST for welding on some tabs, as well as
touching up some of the weld on my centre pillars/beams.
$200-250 for just some tabs would be ridiculous imho, I figure you'd all say. :mrgreen:
Perhaps they would have quoted me around $100 if I only wanted some proper tabs.

There's 2-6 areas missing lengths of weld ranging from 1.5-4 inches on my roobar.
Thought it'd be worth finishing them for extra strength if I'm already welding tabs to it.

So if you think you can beat that price (and good at TIG of Al ;)) I'd like to hear from you
or perhaps do it as a favour to me, and I'll gladly repay the favour; case(s) of beer, a big dinner, footy tickets etc. :cool:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am

2nd Hand Yank wrote:I just got a quote from a local fabricator,
of $200-250 + GST for welding on some tabs, as well as
touching up some of the weld on my centre pillars/beams.
$200-250 for just some tabs would be ridiculous imho, I figure you'd all say. :mrgreen:
Perhaps they would have quoted me around $100 if I only wanted some proper tabs.

There's 2-6 areas missing lengths of weld ranging from 1.5-4 inches on my roobar.
Thought it'd be worth finishing them for extra strength if I'm already welding tabs to it.

So if you think you can beat that price (and good at TIG of Al ;)) I'd like to hear from you
or perhaps do it as a favour to me, and I'll gladly repay the favour; case(s) of beer, a big dinner, footy tickets etc. :cool:
Yeah thats ridiculous. If no1 here can do it i'd say try a boatbuilder, theyr aluminium n i reckon $50-$100 for cpl tabs & few welds would be fair.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:32 am

That's why I explained what I wanted quoted.
I don't think their reply was unreasonable, but I might be able to do better.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 am

Maybe pricing it at that much because he doesnt want to do it :(
Sounds pricey to me - even from all the way over here in England.
Or
Maybe he's the only ''Tigger'' in the area so he thinks he can charge what he likes !

Pity your not here mate - that sounds like a footy ticket and tinnies job to me !:rolleyes:

Good Luck !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

1111giles wrote:Maybe pricing it at that much because he doesnt want to do it :(
Sounds pricey to me - even from all the way over here in England.
Or
Maybe he's the only ''Tigger'' in the area so he thinks he can charge what he likes !

Pity your not here mate - that sounds like a footy ticket and tinnies job to me !:rolleyes:

Good Luck !
Wow, this forum is international. :p
Hello from "across-the-pond." :) (Canadians say that, do Aussies? :p)
Have you been to Australia?

I appreciate your post. Halifax UK is a bit of a far journey, else I'd swing by. :mrgreen:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 am

Sadly most of the shop owners down here are like that, they seem to think everybody works at Worsley or Boddington so it is open season on prices.

I got a quote to weld a hole up in my headers.

it was going to cost 110 dollars to remove the headers, to see if they could get in to the spot that needed welding. then another 40-50 dollars at least, to weld a 20-30mm crack up.

the owner was really good about it, saying I was better off finding a gas axe and doing it myself.

It seems around 100 dollars an hour is the going rate for labour costs in Bunbury O_o

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

That is a huge amount for something so minor. If I could tig Aluminium I'd do it for the cost of the welding rods :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 pm

if you dont get an answer on here, keep an eye on this thread.

http://www.perth4x4.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43242
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Yes, big audience, and thankyou Giles for the back packer youtube last week from Asylum in Cairns. Keep sending them , and a little further south too please. What was her name ?? Katherine Howard?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm

1111giles wrote:Maybe pricing it at that much because he doesnt want to do it :(
I think thats exactly it...charging what will make it worth his while.

Its a pretty quick job to do...how bout finding someone up in Perth to do it while you wait.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

TOONGA wrote:Sadly most of the shop owners down here are like that, they seem to think everybody works at Worsley or Boddington so it is open season on prices.

I got a quote to weld a hole up in my headers.

it was going to cost 110 dollars to remove the headers, to see if they could get in to the spot that needed welding. then another 40-50 dollars at least, to weld a 20-30mm crack up.

the owner was really good about it, saying I was better off finding a gas axe and doing it myself.
streuth. :mrgreen:
It seems around 100 dollars an hour is the going rate for labour costs in Bunbury O_o

TOONGA
I was just quoted $65-75/hr + materials at another welding fabrication shop in Bunbury.
I think that is a fair rate, for a seasoned, skilled welder as long as they are great at TIG of Al...
(and they don't spend too much time mucking around :p)
including the general cost of running their shop and not doing other clients work at the time.

I can't imagine a two tabs of aluminium,
maybe 5mm thick and maybe 4cm wide, 7 cm long would cost very much. :???:

Electrodes? It might only take 1-2 to complete the entire job.

But yeah, I'm open to saving it for a trip to Perth.
I consider anywhere south of the Pinnacles Desert/Cerventes and west of Albany to be "Southwest."

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 am

If you can fit it into a Perth trip, try Custom Aluminium in Osborne Park. I haven't used them for welding, only bought materials there, but their service and prices have been pretty good .

I wouldn't bother getting those welds on the bullbar patched up. Remember it's only aluminium, so you can have the strongest welds in the world and on impact the tube will just bend right next to the weld. The bars on my cars are only stitched in places.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:33 am

The bars on most cars are stitched. this is so they collapse when they sqwoooosh what ever they hit. thats the whole idea of a big metal bar on the front of a car. it is like an extra crumple zone.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:35 am

TOONGA wrote:The bars on most cars are stitched. this is so they collapse when they sqwoooosh what ever they hit. thats the whole idea of a big metal bar on the front of a car. it is like an extra crumple zone.

TOONGA
Ah, so maybe it's better just to get new tabs and leave the rest?

My bar is better-than stitch welded. I'd say the joints are 80+% fully-welded.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:36 am

GOD wrote:If you can fit it into a Perth trip, try Custom Aluminium in Osborne Park. I haven't used them for welding, only bought materials there, but their service and prices have been pretty good .

I wouldn't bother getting those welds on the bullbar patched up. Remember it's only aluminium, so you can have the strongest welds in the world and on impact the tube will just bend right next to the weld. The bars on my cars are only stitched in places.

Dane.
Thanks. I'll give them a ring before commiting to getting work done here, if someone on AUSubaru specializing in TIG of Al doesn't speak up first. :)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:28 am

Or try "the guru" at Quality Sheet Metal in Railway Parade welshpool. I can't remember his real name but he used to have his own shop called Guru Welding and he is a magician when it comes to tig welding. He did all the welding on a custom alloy motorbike frame for me and it was better than the factory welding.

He was so good he got so busy with his own shop that he couldn't cope so chucked it in and went to work for someone and work normal hours....

I haven't been there for a few years so not sure if he still works there but worth a try - and pretty sure they won't charge like a wounded bull.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tony

Post by tony » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:46 pm

glad i have my own oxy and mig, got to pull the exhaust on the lseries tomorrow has developed a hole in the forward muffler. at least they are easy to remove, just unscrew from the heads and rear joint and drop rubber mounts, buggered if i am going to try welding while fitted. too old for that. note that if the bar is fitted to the car you must disconnect the battery or risk blowing the alternator and/or electronics.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:37 am

tony wrote:glad i have my own oxy and mig, got to pull the exhaust on the lseries tomorrow has developed a hole in the forward muffler. at least they are easy to remove, just unscrew from the heads and rear joint and drop rubber mounts, buggered if i am going to try welding while fitted. too old for that. note that if the bar is fitted to the car you must disconnect the battery or risk blowing the alternator and/or electronics.
Thanks for that.
Been there, done that perhaps? :mrgreen:

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am

TOONGA wrote:The bars on most cars are stitched. this is so they collapse when they sqwoooosh what ever they hit. thats the whole idea of a big metal bar on the front of a car. it is like an extra crumple zone.

TOONGA
Like that MONSTER black bullbar on Your brumby Jules. Pretty sure if you hit something with that thing the brumby is gonna crumple around it... LOL
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am

niterida wrote:Or try "the guru" at Quality Sheet Metal in Railway Parade welshpool. I can't remember his real name but he used to have his own shop called Guru Welding and he is a magician when it comes to tig welding. He did all the welding on a custom alloy motorbike frame for me and it was better than the factory welding.

He was so good he got so busy with his own shop that he couldn't cope so chucked it in and went to work for someone and work normal hours....

I haven't been there for a few years so not sure if he still works there but worth a try - and pretty sure they won't charge like a wounded bull.
Just remembered the guys name is Louie if anyone is interested in using him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”