Coolers, Iceboxes and 12 V refridgerators

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
2nd Hand Yank

Coolers, Iceboxes and 12 V refridgerators

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 am

G'day guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with any of these, for use in cars (Subarus :D)

I'm thinking I'd prefer an icebox, maybe a 25L one
as they seem a good compromise between chill-performance and volume-vs.-price.
I thought about a styrofoam one, but I think I'd probably abuse it too much with all the stuff I pack into my wagon.

I'd like to leave food and drinks in my car for days at a time, grab something when the mood suits.
I don't want to have to load up a cooler every day that I might want a picnic lunch at the beach.

Pretty soon I'll need something in my car to keep cold groceries from spoiling quickly. :p

Are any brands of iceboxes better than others for ice-retention?

I had a Coleman X-Treme cooler back in Canada that worked very well.
But they don't make the X-Treme in the size that I want.
I'd like to leave something behind the front seats on the floor.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am

Tropical Ice Box are the go
www.tropicaliceboxes.com
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:47 am

Gannon wrote:Tropical Ice Box are the go
www.tropicaliceboxes.com
Not available for online shopping.

Who carries them?
What makes them special?

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 am

The main problem with eskies in vehicles is when it is 42C in the shade outdoors car interiors heat up even more. So trying to keep food under 5C is going to take a decent refrigeration source. Power this by your main starting battery and soon you find find the battery is dead and you won't be going anywhere. Now one can install a deep cycle battery to power the ice box when the vehicle isn't going but some smarts will be needed.

Also think of the size of the icebox, do you really need a huge one as the power needed to cool such a large area will be huge. Now if one really wants a diehard fridge in their car one can get 8-32 volt fridge compressors.
We have one powering our house 290 litre fridge on a separate 24 volt batterybank.

Get a fridge mechanic to convert an esky and the power draw will be a heap lower only if a heap of external insulation is around the esky (think 150mm or more). A deep cycle battery will be needed and think in the 200AH or more range so yea the size of that said battery will be bigger than any esky.

All in all a decent fridge can made to put in a subi but due to the cost of the setup this would only be for the diehards.

Cheers Bryan

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 am

Its really not that difficult..

25L / 35L Waeco fridge
50 - 100AH AGM battery
dual battery management system. can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

I run a 50L waeco from a 75AH absorbed power AGM. easily gives me a few days of refrigeration without charging and when you are touring it gets topped up every day anyway. works great and no fridge mechanic required
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm

How is the insulation on fridges like Waeco?
If the insulation is thick it might not matter I only top it up while driving.
Use it to extend the ice. (a few thin ice packs, lunch box sized)

I'm thinking a 25L fridge might be out of my price range.
It's mostly just for myself and I don't know how much use I'd get out of it.
I was eyeing some 14-15L fridges though.

A 25L icebox or cooler is probably the smallest I'd want, since I'd be using heaps of ice.

I'd be content with something that will have ice more than 50% frozen after 24 hrs, during a 40 C day clear day, with zero shade for my L Series. I have the darkest legal window tint all around, (but a tint strip on windscreen) so that should help a bit.

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm

vincentvega wrote:Its really not that difficult..

25L / 35L Waeco fridge
50 - 100AH AGM battery

I run a 50L waeco from a 75AH absorbed power AGM. easily gives me a few days of refrigeration without charging and when you are touring it gets topped up every day anyway. works great and no fridge mechanic required
What's an AGM battery?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Wikipedia is your friend en.wikipedia.org/absorbed glass mat
AGM batteries are just like flooded lead acid batteries, except the electrolyte is being held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibers are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibers that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are affected by the acidic electrolyte they reside in. These mats are wrung out 2–5% after being soaked in acids, prior to manufacture completion and sealing. The AGM battery can now accumulate more acid than is available, and never spill a drop.
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:09 am

Im glad some one brought this up.. Im almost up to the point of setting up my Ruby with dual batteries and a Engel fridge.

I had a icebox.. but i found they still only last a day in the car in the Aussie heat and the bags of ice almost justified the price of something better.

Anyone know how reliable a standard EJ22 alternator will be with a dual battery set-up running a Engel?

Wagonman

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:39 am

It will be fine, as long as you have a dual battery controller to only allow your 2nd battery to discharge when the engine isnt running, and to control the rate of charge when the engine is on.

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Wagonman wrote: Anyone know how reliable a standard EJ22 alternator will be with a dual battery set-up running a Engel?

Wagonman
Running an Engel has nothing to do with alternators and battery setups. A fridge compressor draws <10A, i.e. bugger all.

I've charged dual and even triple batteries with standard EJ alternators. The alternators have been fine, but the crusty old L Series alternator to fuse box wiring got hot (especially when the auxiliary battery was close to dead flat), so I've upgraded that.
Gannon wrote:It will be fine, as long as you have a dual battery controller to only allow your 2nd battery to discharge when the engine isnt running, and to control the rate of charge when the engine is on.

Dual battery controllers might be nice to have, but a cheap 100A relay does the same thing in most cases. Can the smart ones limit inrush current when connecting a dead-flat battery?

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:44 pm

vincentvega wrote:Its really not that difficult..

25L / 35L Waeco fridge
50 - 100AH AGM battery

Run the same fridge.

Fridge mechanics! What the? All done for you = Engel or Waeco (or others)
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:57 pm

How do you set up a dual battery system? Anyone got a diagram?

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I have such a set up in my trike (see conversions ea81 in trike automatic)

so both batteries charge as you drive and starter battery doesnt discharge too much.. I have a waeco caravan fridge in the van. works great.

Disadvantage- once you hook up a twin battery system you cant swap vehicles. eg putting the fridge in another vehicle you cant power it when you stop, not for long anyway.

you have to have two heavy wires form battery to the fridge.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:59 pm

fridge and second batteryb for the win.

i got a 60l fridge, and a 105 ah agm battery. can run the fridge for 6 days before battery needs charging, but obviously driven every day is not a problem for it.

ill probably never use my trysty ice box again except in the boat for the fish :D

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 am

Okay, sounds like a 14 L fridge might be worth the extra expense over a 25L icebox...

But how is the insulation on fridges, for when it isn't charging?
:???:
Can I unplug it from the car and take it to the beach, like an icebox
or is it too fragile, like blowing sand would stuff up the fridge?

That would be another downside if it could be easily damaged if I take it out of the car.
As well as, if it loses its much quicker than an icebox.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 pm

You want to look at the Evakool, they are esky' with a fridge attached. :) They are an awesome bit of gear and being fibreglass never smell like plastic or poly ones do. Trust me i have left raw fish in mine for days with a quick wipe out no smell. :)

http://www.evakool.com/home
http://www.evakoolstore.com/
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for the links. :)

Ice-Mate 26L might not be too big between the front and back seats.
They have "seconds" for sale at $59 plus $22 shipping.

Ice-Mate 26L weighs 5.0kg instead of Evacool's 3.0kg... yet they both claim up to 10 days of ice.
Where does the extra weight go? They say their Ice-Mate doesn't come with a basket or bungs.

Would Ice-Mate probably be better insulating,
or be much tougher so it'd be worth the added 2.0 kgs?

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Matt wrote:You want to look at the Evakool, they are esky' with a fridge attached. :) They are an awesome bit of gear and being fibreglass never smell like plastic or poly ones do. Trust me i have left raw fish in mine for days with a quick wipe out no smell. :)

http://www.evakool.com/home
http://www.evakoolstore.com/
Sounds fabulous never smelling like fish, :cool:
but I would need to re-arrange my wagon to fit a 40+L anything into it.
My wagon's boot is doubling as a mini-garage atm.

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:55 am

i second that motion with the evakool,
i have a 47L evakool fridge/freezer,
and two 60A/H batteries in the boot, runs for 2 days atleast without driving, or 4 days with moderate driving, and indefinately with solar panels,
I have been selling Engel, Waeco, and Evakool for 7 years now,
very happy with my choice, would pick the same fridge again any day,
the 10 day life on evakool.icemate ive boxes is accurate with block ice and sizes from around 40L and up, the 25 sizes would only be good for a few days, if your lucky, 25L isnt much, more food = less ice, less ice = shorter life. remember you'll need about 1/3 minimum ice/food ratio...so your 25L is down to 15L very quickly,
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

Return to “Subaru Chat”