extra insulation for the cabin?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
2nd Hand Yank

extra insulation for the cabin?

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm

I was wondering if it'd be easy and worth it to add some extra insulation to dampen sound as well as keep a little of the sun heat out + slower cooldown at night say if I'm camping in my car. I also found heavy rain on my roof to be excessively loud, more so than other cars I've driven.

I have several ideas:

- roll-on urethane bed liner
- spray on insulation, though that could be too messy for inside
- a roll of 1cm thick carpet underpadding that is spongy with a good backing, left over from work.

All of this would be put in after removing my interior trim, then re-installing the interior trim.

Thoughts?

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:45 am

i nice stereo should sort out the cabin noise and as for camping maybe some company .. ;)
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 am

Keep it light, it won't make any difference as most of the heat comes through the glass and it'll stop the heat getting out too, I bought a little 12v computer fan that I'm going to hook up to a small bike battery that I have to keep the air in the esky moving during the day and in the tent at night, cost about $2 delivered from memory off eBay and actually blows a nice little breeze.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 am

I've done this: Removed the Seats and the Carpet, then Covered with "TOFF" Sprayed Bedliner, it not only isolate Temperatures but also Noise.
Makes the Car to Run So Quiet...

Kind Regards.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 am

2nd Hand Yank wrote:I was wondering if it'd be easy and worth it to add some extra insulation to dampen sound ?

Off topic but this is one of my pet hates - call me a pedantic bastard - but it is damp, not dampen.

Dampen means to make wet.

Damp means to remove oscillations, in this case sound. (and yes I know damp also means it already is wet :???:)

That is why shock absorbers are dampers and not dampeners. But don't worry you are not alone - I have seen an advert for a suspension company actually call them dampeners :eek:

and on topic - if you want to reduce the amplifier effect of the metal panels in your car (reduce road noise and speaker vibrations) then use dynamat type materials. I have a link at home on how (as in where, not physically how to do it) to apply it - basically you do not apply to the entire panel/floor like you see everybody doing it. If I remember I will post it up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:50 am

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 am

HIJACK THREAD
niterida wrote:Off topic but this is one of my pet hates - call me a pedantic bastard - but it is damp, not dampen.

Dampen means to make wet.

Damp means to remove oscillations, in this case sound. (and yes I know damp also means it already is wet :???:)

That is why shock absorbers are dampers and not dampeners. But don't worry you are not alone - I have seen an advert for a suspension company actually call them dampeners :eek:
Ken I hate to pull you up on this one as you are an officer of the law ... but

damp·en (dmpn)
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

as for dampener

Noun 1. dampener - a device that dampens or moistens something; "he used a dampener to moisten the shirts before he ironed them"

2. device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"

and damper definition 4 in both cases

damp·er (dmpr)
n.
1. One that deadens, restrains, or depresses: Rain put a damper on our picnic plans.
2. An adjustable plate, as in the flue of a furnace or stove, for controlling the draft.
3. Music
a. A device in various keyboard instruments for deadening the vibrations of the strings.
b. A mute for various brass instruments.
4. A device that eliminates or progressively diminishes vibrations or oscillations, as of a magnetic needle.

damper [ˈdæmpə]
n
1. a person, event, or circumstance that depresses or discourages
put a damper on to produce a depressing or inhibiting effect on
3. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a movable plate to regulate the draught in a stove or furnace flue
4. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a device to reduce electronic, mechanical, acoustic, or aerodynamic oscillations in a system
5. (Music / Instruments) Music the pad in a piano or harpsichord that deadens the vibration of each string as its key is released
6. (Cookery) Chiefly Austral and NZ any of various unleavened loaves and scones, typically cooked on an open fire,

HIJACK OVER :)

SORRY Matt SORRY Ken

now thats pedantic

and go with a sound deadener that is rolled on as the spray on paint on stuff is a nightmare to clean off your skin.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

apg39

Post by apg39 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:34 am

I dampened my pants reading that.

+1 for dynamat in the doors. I plan to go the cheap route & get some carpet underlay under my floor & maybe even see if there's enough room above the headliner for a thin layer.
Cheers,
Andrew

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm

TOONGA wrote:HIJACK THREAD

Ken I hate to pull you up on this one as you are an officer of the law ... but

damp·en (dmpn)
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
3. To soundproof.

as for dampener

Noun 1. dampener - a device that dampens or moistens something; "he used a dampener to moisten the shirts before he ironed them"

2. device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"

and damper definition 4 in both cases

damp·er (dmpr)
n.
1. One that deadens, restrains, or depresses: Rain put a damper on our picnic plans.
2. An adjustable plate, as in the flue of a furnace or stove, for controlling the draft.
3. Music
a. A device in various keyboard instruments for deadening the vibrations of the strings.
b. A mute for various brass instruments.
4. A device that eliminates or progressively diminishes vibrations or oscillations, as of a magnetic needle.

damper [ˈdæmpə]
n
1. a person, event, or circumstance that depresses or discourages
put a damper on to produce a depressing or inhibiting effect on
3. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a movable plate to regulate the draught in a stove or furnace flue
4. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a device to reduce electronic, mechanical, acoustic, or aerodynamic oscillations in a system
5. (Music / Instruments) Music the pad in a piano or harpsichord that deadens the vibration of each string as its key is released
6. (Cookery) Chiefly Austral and NZ any of various unleavened loaves and scones, typically cooked on an open fire,

HIJACK OVER :)

SORRY Matt SORRY Ken

now thats pedantic

and go with a sound deadener that is rolled on as the spray on paint on stuff is a nightmare to clean off your skin.

TOONGA
It appears that some dictionaries (dictionary.com) and wikipedia (Sound Damping) would disagree. So interms of acoustic the jury is out but I would lean toward the fact that yes you can use dampen when referring to sound, but definitely not when referring to suspension.

Back on-topic......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Ha ha ha :D and I thought I was pedantic and anal :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Crikey what a thread! hahaha :mrgreen:

How would you say my enthusiasm for sound deadening has been dampened?
Or is that damped??? :p

hahaha :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 pm

thanks niterider. :)
Is it easy to get these products in WA or sent here?

I work in a shop with a plain tin roof and compared to that,
my L Series isn't much quieter when the rain comes down hard.

Maybe this carpet underpadding isn't a great idea for roof sound damping, as it's a tad on the heavy side

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

woody.t wrote:i nice stereo should sort out the cabin noise and as for camping maybe some company .. ;)
Hmmm, could work...

but both of those "solutions" may bring other problems,
leading to different sorts of long-term bodily-damage or disability. :p

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm

apg39 wrote:I dampened my pants reading that.

+1 for dynamat in the doors. I plan to go the cheap route & get some carpet underlay under my floor & maybe even see if there's enough room above the headliner for a thin layer.
hehehehe. :mrgreen:

I wonder if my carpet underlay is worth keeping for anything other than something to lie on while working under my car. :???:

Dann

Post by Dann » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm

A giant bubble :D

haha but seriously now, just saying it cost $0 to sound and insulate under my carpet cause, I went around bulk refuge and found a nice bit of under house carpet foam stuff. works pretty good too.
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

Return to “Subaru Chat”