What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Fri May 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Fluid and filter change, as part of regular schedual.

Had used penrite 10w50 last change...can't remember why I got it, but it hated it something shocking..
Shell 5w40 ultra stuff, the fully synth one.
New oil filter, new air filter (replaced K&N one with paper filter as advised)
Usual degrease and maf cleaner.
Seems happier already!

Last change I put 4.0l in...3l came out.
Should have been checking more regularly but it's more oil consumption than the previous two changes I've done, only just had the car 10,000km. Hoping it's something I've done rather than the engine.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 am

Yesterday (Thursday): Got Ruby Scoo out of the shed under her own steam, gave her a spray down, then a drive in the paddock - then went out and about for some bits and pieces.
We finished the day off with an oil change under an awesome sunset :D

Today: Clocked up almost 200km - all going well. Stoked. I've found the enjoyment of the throaty exhaust note enticing me to put the boot in just to hear it :???: It's good though!

Tomorrow: pick up new steel to complete the rear bar. Ruby's rear end is too high! Plus it looks naked!

I'm currently uploading a video from thursday that I'll drop in the build thread once it's done ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat May 05, 2012 3:19 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Yesterday (Thursday): Got Ruby Scoo out of the shed under her own steam, gave her a spray down, then a drive in the paddock - then went out and about for some bits and pieces.
We finished the day off with an oil change under an awesome sunset :D

Today: Clocked up almost 200km - all going well. Stoked. I've found the enjoyment of the throaty exhaust note enticing me to put the boot in just to hear it :???: It's good though!

Tomorrow: pick up new steel to complete the rear bar. Ruby's rear end is too high! Plus it looks naked!

I'm currently uploading a video from thursday that I'll drop in the build thread once it's done ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Saw the vid, very nice work and quick too! Hopefully my strip down and rebuild will be that quick :)

Today I replaced the rear brake shoes on the old wagon, no more noise! Even though one or two of the old shoes were barely used they were making an awful scrubbing noise, so for $40 I refused to put up with the noise :o All good now...only took 2 hours :?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:45 pm

im sure if i still had a subaru i would,ve done something sweet to it however a mate of mine decided to do some extensive body work to his foz lastnight
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sat May 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Not really to the Subie, but I gave the garage a good clean and finally sorted out the plastic bumber that came off when I put the bullbar on. It has been sitting on the floor taking up space, but now hangs high off the wall!!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Was that on gorge road mudking?
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Bradenrm

I rang shell. Now I know there is heaps of info around on what oils to use but for my ea81 they recommended a synthetic blend 15W-50.

still cheapa t $34 at superstuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Was that on gorge road mudking?
yea haha
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 pm

not an improvement but i did finally vacum out the potting mixutre thats been in the back seat for a while now :D
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Saw the vid, very nice work and quick too! Hopefully my strip down and rebuild will be that quick :)
I don't know about quick! It was almost 6 months!! About 3 times longer than I'd hoped.

I burnt more fuel today :twisted: Took the scenic route back to benders from the pero's joint:

Memorial of the first aircraft flight in Australia in 1910:

And Lake Eppalock:

^ In this photo you can see a white boat, just above that is a sign on a post (the hazy grey area). That post is about half way between the two vehicles. Here we are at that sign post in 2007, the lake filled up last year:

Crazy times! I know Ruby Scoo can't swim that far, even if I fitted a snorkel!

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 pm

She's looking good Bennie. Even underneath...you could walk under and check your diff oil...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Tweety wrote:She's looking good Bennie. Even underneath...you could walk under and check your diff oil...
Pretty much!

So, some bad news tonight :( After disconnecting the battery to sort out some stuff under the dashboard (in the rain), fun fun, I got the vibration sorted (only @ a certain rev), what ever it was - I didn't get my tacho working yet. But what I did manage to do was cook the engine good a proper. This is how:

After finishing up with the wiring that I was doing I re-connected the battery and started her up. Thought I'd get all the gear ready to go, by the time I'd have this done the cab would be nice and toasty (freezing here today! Snow weather!!) and we'd be off with the ECU having done it's thing after being disconnected from the battery. What I didn't realise and hadn't checked is the thermo fan switch - I'd accidentally knocked it to the "off" position, 10 minutes of idling and she was well and truly steaming away :( I immediately popped the bonnet then shut her off, but then started her up to keep the coolant circulating. That's when I found that the thermo's weren't operating.

I was surprised that she started. The over flow bottle was pressurise and steaming away but she was still running as normal. I hope I've not done any damage but if the head gasket shows up a leak tomorrow morning I know how it happened.

Ruby Scoo did however drive to Benders (an hour) without any issues, and started after being at the store for 20 minutes.

I'm glad I've been running the anti boil, anti freeze, as I think this may have helped out! I've had this engine up to 120C working hard in the sand a few years back, but that gauge died in the snow. I've never seen the factory temp gauge 2/3s up with the EJ - only seen it just below 1/4. I'm not sure if I'm going to sleep tonight.

On a positive note I've sorted out the Cruise control :D

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Bugger! :shock: Here's hoping everything is all right, that sounds like a nasty shock.

Today I finally adjusted my rear brakes after the new shoes, they were a bit far down the pedal so adjusted them out a bit. Also checked my tyre pressure...fronts were down to 17-20 psi! :neutral: rears were down to 25. It's been too long since I checked them and I bet my fuel economy was suffering. Any possible damage to tyres? they didn't look flat, and the book says don't judge a tyre by how it looks so I didn't worry about them.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Any possible damage to tyres?
Other than wear there's nothing really. What PSI do you run with? I've always had mine bumped up at 36 or 38psi.

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Sorry to hear bout your engine Bennie. have you thought about putting a buzzer on the "off" position so you cant forget or not notice?

I used to run 36PSI but after reading bout tyre centres getting worn, I've dropped mine to 34PSI now. Havent noticed much difference in handling...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 pm

**** Bennie!!! Seriously that is ******!

If it's dead will another EJ22 be going in? Should be an easy and straight swap if it is as you won't need to do the wiring.

You poor bugger!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun May 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Bennie, I had my lseries boiling the overflow bottle many times and never did any short term damage.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 13, 2012 11:14 pm

nachaluva wrote:Sorry to hear bout your engine Bennie. have you thought about putting a buzzer on the "off" position so you cant forget or not notice?
I'll be in at Jaycar tomorrow for a "rocket cover" so the switch is in the Auto position when the cover is down.
taza wrote:If it's dead will another EJ22 be going in? Should be an easy and straight swap if it is as you won't need to do the wiring.
Yeah my own stupid fault! Nah, it'll probably be a HG job, unless I'm really stuck for time then I'll go the second hand engine and hope for the best!
Alex wrote:Bennie, I had my lseries boiling the overflow bottle many times and never did any short term damage.
I've had mine up to 120C before, but this was boiling with the anti boil stuff at about 33% concentration... I kind of want to know what temp she got up to but at the same time don't!

I've been out and checked the oil and coolant level since she's cooled down. The coolant is full now after sucking quite a bit of water in on the initial cool down. The level in the overflow is still high now, and the radiator is all good too.

Oil, I couldn't see any milkiness after running the engine for a couple of minutes. This will show up after more driving, as will any other HG issues.

Time will tell. Hopefully I've dodged a bullet, hopefully!

Cheers

Bennie

AshR

Post by AshR » Sun May 13, 2012 11:48 pm

aww man that's some crappy news for the end of the weekend :(

hope it's nothing to fix after the inspection in the morning

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am

just natural for getting hot, it is when it keeps doing it when driving is where you have done yer gasket. Don't think you can do a gasket just idling hot either - for your sake hope all is fine

Return to “Subaru Chat”