What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...

Post by 60766244 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Here's one that's unusual...
Repaired bullet holes in the tray with some metal putty... I hope it holds up. :mrgreen:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

steptoe wrote:back to the topic ' electric train horns'
As in the link was or we're moving back to that topic in here? Anyway, if it's the link why would it come with a 3m hose and require a compressor to operate?

Just putting it out there...

On the topic of the thread. I put Ruby Scoo on a hoist today. Discovered I need to replace the rear diff's pinion shaft seal before next week when I need to drive her a few hundred k's :???:

I also need to replace my radius rod bushes - I've been suss on them for a while now...

And to top it all off I've got a very slow leak in the radiator that needs to be sorted :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 am

Don't worry, just throw in a container of diff oil & a couple coke bottles full of water. Or pretend you never looked, what ya don't know can't hurt. Just joking, have fun in the workshop.
I fired up the mig yesterday to see if I can still weld before I try it on the car.
[ATTACH]3788[/ATTACH]

Got a nice bead going easily, now to cut a nice patch for the gas filler hole.

Cheers Jake
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815104.299690.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356815104.299690.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 5250 times

indy

Post by indy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Today/Yesterday i got rid of the Stock clarion headunit in my GEN3 outback. CD player was buggered and the lack of Auxiliary was really annoying. Installed this JVC unit, USB/AUX/MP3
On special at Repco for $129, i couldn't resist >:)

Washed and buffed my L series, going to give it a vacuum tomorrow and put it out for sale :(

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 pm

indy, that head unit looks great :cool:

Rodeo4jake, where did you get the bottle? I need to get my welder going & dont really want to use gasless if I can help it....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 pm

NachaLuva wrote:indy, that head unit looks great :cool:

Rodeo4jake, where did you get the bottle? I need to get my welder going & dont really want to use gasless if I can help it....
my housemate has a bottle rental through BOC.
they are average in the customer service side of things though.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 pm

B00sting wrote:my housemate has a bottle rental through BOC.
they are average in the customer service side of things though.
That's being generous!

60766244: I'd be checking to make sure there's no holes in the fuel tank if they're in the floor of the ute. Fatz had a brumby that ran like crap - it had a real intermittent issue that was driving him nuts. He ended up finding out the previous owner had nailed something in the tray, problem was that the nails went straight through the top of the fuel tank and when it rained the tank would basically fill with water :???:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Engine metal temp alarm - an ebay special aquarium 12V jobbie

Much credit to Gannon (fka Suparoo) who pointed out the existance of these units and suggesting the bullet shaped sensor would crimp nicely in an electrical eye terminal. I used two sizes of terminals whose wire end fitted into the larger one, chopped off the ring of the smaller one, soldered 2 together, drilled out hole to 4.0mm and slowly carefully jammed the sensor inside

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_saca ... +12V&rt=nc

pretty easy to wire up once you fiddle with them and reread the Chinglish a few too many times. The sensor wires are not polarity fussy, nor is the power/earth supply ( or I was lucky first try ) I hear a relay click inside but no power is switched across its switching terminals, so I linked or bridged power from its power input terminal and across to the switched pair of which output then went to a little $3.95 jaycar piezo screamer, now mounted in a 22mm hole in the back terminal cover

Unknown as yet whether the plastics will withstand our Aussie sun. The orange plastic clips at its rear were sitting in the sun inside the cabin for a few months and they have lost some colour

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The cavity is packed with car wash sponge to help the speakers (i think it helps!)

OK and results are off the hole tapped into the top of the EA81 turbo side head (just no turbo :D) , location gave same results as thermostat bolt on my EA82T so not too fussed as to its location....... EDIT>> now wondering if the head is a bit too hot to give an accurate indication of water temp.

These units show that the metal warms up before the water does - hence the early warning for engine overheat! Might try thermostat bolt and see if any change

Idled it until the RHS fan cut in at 98 C ! which was just a mm short of 3/4 on the Brumby gauge, same fan cut out at 92C - a mm above half mark.

Manually switched both fans until they pulled temp down to 75C and gauge was ~ mm above 1/4

It is interesting to see the numbers compared to the gauge, noting 95C seems to be the opening temp of most of our thermostats available. Think mine in there is 71C (or 171F)

Getting too hot there for the heatshrink on the sensor, its melting !!

Placement would have been better if I'd been thinking of the passenger inflight entertainment - and the 5th gear position :( , but that is why I have the alarm , and set at 90C like with my EA82T

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

Its been a while since my forum name has been 'suparoo'.
Good write up on the install. I've since taken mine out as I now know what the scale is of the outback gauge. 65° for 1/4 gauge, 85 -95° for half and I'm guessing about 105° for 3/4 gauge.
When I install it in the RX, I'd like to get an orange display to match the instrument cluster. If I put it back in the outback, I'd like to get a green one.

Sent from my new touchy phone thingy
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Had an interimttent misfire for months now, coming and going, no rhyme or reason....well, it stopped being intermittent yesterday.
The EJ25 sounded like a bloody cessna with the hiccups.
Today, new plugs, no miss.
Took all day and was an exercise in extreme frustration to change them though..

Perhaps I should change my avatar...I have an Outback now.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Battlewagon wrote: Perhaps I should change my avatar...I have an Outback now.
What happened to your plucky little battlewagon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Today I got a brand new cover for my ute :smile: Went down to the trim shop expecting only to get it measured up, but it ended up being ready in 2 hours! It needed a new center bar and brackets, all up cost $270. Now it hides the mangled rear chrome strip nicely :rolleyes:

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Never had an MY, well not since the 80's anyway...I had a succession of L wagons, and loved them all, the last one went for parts...
Love my Outback, even though it too, has it's quirks...or because of that?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Today I got a brand new cover for my ute :smile: Went down to the trim shop expecting only to get it measured up, but it ended up being ready in 2 hours! It needed a new center bar and brackets, all up cost $270. Now it hides the mangled rear chrome strip nicely :rolleyes:
Very nice indeed! Anybody know a shop in Brisbane or Sydney that does the same quality of work?

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Today I got a brand new cover for my ute :smile: Went down to the trim shop expecting only to get it measured up, but it ended up being ready in 2 hours! It needed a new center bar and brackets, all up cost $270. Now it hides the mangled rear chrome strip nicely :rolleyes:

Where did you go Sam?
Looks good!
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

purp

Post by purp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Yesterday I used a subaru in a manner I don't normally...

A portable fire fighting pump, powered by a Robin/Subaru engine. Use the one on our Cat7 pretty often. Yesterday however, the main pump on the back was leaking like crazy, so...

...we rigged up the portable to suction from the tank and then feed into the main pump manafold.

Then we spent the rest of the day running on subaru power. :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 pm

reliable as I trust?

On the tarp, glad you gave the time as I got a price on a tarp for mine before xmas and nearly fell over. Said it takes a good half day and wanted $350 for cheaper bungee cord jobby.

Two hours eh ?! Two workers ?
I just finished replacing my bungee cord just now 10pm. Measured six metres of stretched cord and nearly skimped and buy 5.5m. Just as well i didn't as I used every mm of that six meters

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Great job purp...you guys do an amazing job :-D

Trust a Subie to come to the rescue! :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am

what i do yesterday i rebuild my carbe and did a mod on the link so the 2 barel open not long after the first one .. be so good to get it back on the road and burn the crap-a-door i driving now ....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 am

Phil, did you also zip tie open the air valve lever above ?

Return to “Subaru Chat”