What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Sounds great! :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Helped my brother with an oil and filter change on his 04' WRX today, It was a little over due for a change his oil was filthier than mine! :eek: Hardest part was getting it up on ramps as his front bumper was going to hit the ramps before the wheels. Job well done and a few new oil stains on the driveway.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:00 pm

for that too low for ramps trick I have a pair of square pavers 40mm thick drive front whaeels up on them, push ramps up to paver. Works every time. Pavers are marked so no one touches them !

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:40 pm

What I did with my ramps was put them at about a 45deg angle, drive up the first few steps, then bash them straight and drive up the rest. Same in reverse order to get off them.

Doug

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 am

Spent most of the morning Sunday replacing the original tow bar & tongue, amazing how easily it is to snap off a 25 year old bolt. Then work with a power drill, file, cold chisel, technical precision tool (hammer), lashings of possum piss, the occasional expletive(s) and multigrips to remove said broken bolt.
Internal thread barely blemished and the replacement high tensile bolts held firmly, hopefully the replacement bolts will last another 25 years.
Persistence I say and a good helping of *$# &^$$ expletives work every time

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Wooster wrote:Spent most of the morning Sunday replacing the original tow bar & tongue, amazing how easily it is to snap off a 25 year old bolt. Then work with a power drill, file, cold chisel, technical precision tool (hammer), lashings of possum piss, the occasional expletive(s) and multigrips to remove said broken bolt.
Internal thread barely blemished and the replacement high tensile bolts held firmly, hopefully the replacement bolts will last another 25 years.
Persistence I say and a good helping of *$# &^$$ expletives work every time
Sounds like to much fun Ray.. I hope you replaced any lost fluids during the day ;)

I had fun too.. I thought I'd improve the power output on my Outback :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:26 am

Put the engine back in, thinking I should of strapped the twin turbos on when it was out though, fark it!

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 pm

RSR looks like you have a whole shed full of toys in the background?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 pm

ktmtragic wrote:RSR looks like you have a whole shed full of toys in the background?
LOL.. there might be one or two toys in there to play with ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Tigger - those rims, such a small change to the rim yet such a large change to the look of the car! That's crazy!
T.Farm.Brumby wrote:I have a full '85 L Series that I might part out, EA82, N/A, 5 Speed FWD box. mechanicals are all spot on as far as I can tell/have experienced with it.
Tom, FWD gearbox uses a smaller clutch setup to the 4wd setup - the flywheel would require more machining to increase the pressure plate mating surface if it's possible to machine it out.
ktmtragic wrote:RSR looks like you have a whole shed full of toys in the background?
Shed? That's a bit offensive! I'd describe it a warehouse/time capsule/subaru nut's wonder land...

Silverbullet - sounds awesome mate! Was the exhaust cold or up to "operating temp" as the note can change between the two temperature states as the exhaust and mufflers expand with the exhaust heat ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:29 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Shed? That's a bit offensive! I'd describe it a warehouse/time capsule/subaru nut's wonder land...
LOL.. There is some very rare goodies in there ;)

Also played with Honeycomb today.. spot the differences :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Today I went to the self serve wreckers on a tipoff from a guy at work, hit the jackpot! :p There was only 1 old MY wagon there but it had 4x14 inch wheels, a pretty good looking bullbar, full 2 inch lift kit and a good bonnet which I needed. Best part was all 4 wheels had one security lug nut on them with a weird socket required. Someone had a go at all of them they were dinged and chewed up, then I looked in the single boot storage compartment and found the security socket! :o Best day I've ever had at the wreckers. Also saw a really early Leone sedan 4 door in amazing condition, perfect resto project for someone

Nice looking bullbar for some reason it looks a bit weird in this photo, looks alot better on the car though. Not visible here but there's a sort of splash/bash guard that wraps around underneath, would seamlessly join with an alloy sump guard
Bargain of the day 4x14 inch wheels, $25 each!
I know these stripes identify the make, can anyone tell me what these are?

Have you ever seen a lift kit like this? These go at the bottom of the front struts instead of the big strut tops!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm

I think those rims are speedy's, same as what I have on my wagon.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:34 am

missing a pic of your oldies faces as you unload the latest find :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

steptoe wrote:missing a pic of your oldies faces as you unload the latest find :p
wtf?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AshR

Post by AshR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm

well started out by buying a new liberty wagon last week (well new to me) 1991 GX wagon.

Elec everything, very straight, no rust :)

AND today I bought new rotors for the front as the previous RWC check said one needed machining... thought if one is going, may as well replace them so I know they're good :)

only major thing of trouble is the gearbox mount (for the 5speed) found a few cars at the wreckers that I should be able to get one from to sort that out then get RWC soon.

yay (this was going to be an engine and trans replacement for my brumby but it's far too nice to butcher)

AshR

Post by AshR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Said rotors, wipers and park lights are all fitted. :)

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:09 pm

New feet thanks to Toonga, the old 14's are all yours mate.

I went out on the hunt for some 185/80 R13's but the only tyre place that would get them for me was Tyrepower and they were $195 each! Too much for the old rust bucket so I ended up getting some maxxis 185/70 R13's. Immediately noticed the lack of tyre noise inside the car and the ride feels a little better, not as harsh. With some rain here in Perth now I should have good grip when it gets slippery.

Also fixed my heater. Old evaporator from the aircon was blocked up so I removed it. Free'd up the flaps and cables. Now it feels hot and has some force ;). While I was at it I though Id get a stereo that had hands free as Im finding myself on the phone for work stuff a little too often these days. Picked up one from repco for 80 bucks on clearance. Unfortunately its way too long to slot into the old stereo holder I was using so until I can be bothered making something new up I Just bend up a bracket to hold the head unit and 2 way.

Il be honest, this aint much worse then what I had before :(.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 pm

watch out now you posted up that pic - Vortex75 is after a pair of those motion centre caps !

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Too bad they're all mine :twisted:

Return to “Subaru Chat”