What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 pm

nairobery wrote:Got to 300k

Awesome. I got my L at 293k km, so personally for me the 300k wasn't too difficult! Good to see another L series that's made it!

In other news - full write up yet to happen, I did this over the cup weekend:

That wasn't fun on a remote track!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:21 am

The moral of teh story mate-is Don't do it again!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Wooster wrote:The moral of teh story mate-is Don't do it again!
Well, it wont be doing it for a while!

Cheers

Bennie

poprock1

all choked up

Post by poprock1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 am

I have been using the Sherpa to teach a 16 year old autistic boy to drive. He was having trouble matching revs to clutch release. Though lacking mechanical knowledge he insisted that a tune up was needed. Took the air cleaner off and Hey Presto! The choke butterfly was working in conjunction with the throttle. Freed it up and now he can take off smoothly. We all have something to contribute.:p

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am

poprock1 wrote:I have been using the Sherpa to teach a 16 year old autistic boy to drive. He was having trouble matching revs to clutch release. Though lacking mechanical knowledge he insisted that a tune up was needed. Took the air cleaner off and Hey Presto! The choke butterfly was working in conjunction with the throttle. Freed it up and now he can take off smoothly. We all have something to contribute.:p
Awesome! :twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 pm

That's gold! I guess he's really tuned in to the vehicle - which at that age is only a good thing so long as it doesn't become an anxiety issue!

Cheers

Bennie

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Spent the weekend fixing my oil leaks by replacing the oil pump seals and sump gasket. (took it out of me).

t.ridden

Post by t.ridden » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:32 am

Blew a low beam globe in the GreenSheep (MY03 Liberty RX) on some rough roads on the way to a khanacross on the weekend.
Ended up going the whole hog on the front lights with Narva +120% high beams and Phillips XVision +100% low beams. The improvement is actually insane. I've never put much stock in "high performance" halogen bulbs but maybe that's due to all my previous cars being older and having poor reflectors compromising the benefit of the newer bulbs. With the post-facelift Gen3 headlights (great to start with), just adding $100 of quality new globes has ceased nearly all my thoughts of spotties and light bars and all other manner of expensive 'improvements" to achieve the same end.

The brand mismatching is due to the specials that were on at AutoPro [tip for anyone interested, they're cheaper than Supercrap Auto for Narva stuff]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Engine oil and filter change in preparation for the Christmas/New Year's drive!

Ryco filter and Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 Full Synthetic.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

poprock1

Destruction of my Sherpa.

Post by poprock1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:10 pm

twisted:Pulled the motor and all ICE components in preparation for electric conversion.
EK42 engine and all associated components for sale to fit 83 KM3 sherpa

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:59 pm

New wheels and tyres! :) Newly powdercoated gloss black Speedy desert rats, with big chrome hub caps from Performance wheels here in Adelaide. They look real smicko I think, I prefer black Speedy's/Sunnies on these cars instead of white. I also found all my suspension was wound up about 1/2 way (front struts) so I wound it all down again, ass end is soft as now and really highlights my need for new shocks. Anyway, wound it all down and what do you know, my front inner CV's no longer click on full lock. Also, probably as a result of the new tyres my steering is alot lighter now.

Also new rubber all round, 2 places I went to couldn't help me finding any kind of offroad tyre for 14 inch wheels, that would not rub on anything. I ended up getting 185/60/R14 Supercat tyres.

Now the bad part:
I bought some fender flare rubber thinking these would stick outside the guards, they certainly did when I test fitted them before they were powdercoated with the old tyres (195/65/R14) but these tyres do not...well most of them don't :confused: 3 out of 4 are flush with the guards, number 4 sticks out of the guard about 10mm!!! :evil: I thought all these wheels had the same offset??? I looked all over for a stamp with some info on them, nothing to be found so I thought they were all the same. I did a quick measure with the ruler on them before I spent any money, I could have sworn they were all the same! So only thing to do now is to fit the spare/5th wheel and tyre I had done up, see if it is the same. If I get 2 that stick outside, I will put them both on the rear.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:25 pm

swapped in my Brumby turbo crossmember (not a LHD one either - steering hole would still be wrong side ! ) Time to do swap - two hours. Time spent procrastinating - three months.

Fixed up the tarp bar behind window with high tensile 40mm long M6 allen head bolt and one nyloc. Drilled strainght through from outside to inside, trim and all.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Look what I got in the mail today :)

The famed XT6 rear hubs :cool:

A bit of elbow grease :

And a couple coats of paint on the back only :

Need to pick up new studs tomorrow, M12x1.25.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:33 pm

the current exchange rate is a killer ain't it !?

So, Dean, what is next ? Front hubs too ??

Oh, we are in that category :)

I "Polarised" (sorry Brocky) :p my Brumby somehow, it got some odd mix of grease out of mates grease gun, dripping with red oil as it breaks down with age, pressure mixed left over gunk into the uni joints, adjusted the drum brakes and rotated the tyres. Once again, drives like a new ute from the 80's :)

Must have harmonised demons in the uni's, taken the chatter from the space in the drums - transformed the beast, cornering better too !

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Bit of a face lift on the old wagon, repainted the grill, the black painted sections on the headlight shrouds and cleaned up the "chrome" bits. Shame the bumper still looks shitty and the roo bar......well, it does a top job at holding my antenna!

Also repainted the front and rear wipers, the chrome fuel cap's black bits and the white on the "subaru" badges stuck on the fenders.

Cleaned up some messy wiring, hooked up my tacho, removed the old coil, ran some hard fuel line to my surge tank.

Getting there, one bit at a time.

Regards

Doug

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:04 am

Nice work on the hubs!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Not sure if this counts as improving the Subaru, but I picked up a replacement wheel stud and have now got it completely stuck in the hub. Subaru XT6 hubs use a unique wheel stud size unlike any other Subaru, with a smaller knurl diameter of 12.45mm (normal Subaru is 14.27mm). The closest I could find locally was the Skyline R31, which uses 12.9mm. And the interference fit is meant to be 0.005mm, not 0.05mm so it doesn't fit...

So, an order on Summit Auto in the US has been placed and I've now got to press out the oversize unit.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Today the Brumby got an oil and filter change. I also put a new steering knuckle on the passengers side with new wheel bearings. As well as 2 new KYB shocks in the rear end.

And I painted up some parts to go under the wagon so quite a busy day all told :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

t.ridden

Post by t.ridden » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 am

Picked up a set of WRC series special License Plates for the GreenSheep!
So happy with these, was really wanting AWD-WRC, but couldn't find out who owned them or if they were selling.
Big thanks to Stilson for tracking them down and offering them to me!
BE9-WRC was going to be my next best plate but I don't need to worry about that now!

Also purchased and installed a set of RokBlox mudflaps recently. Perfect and easy fit, look and feel tough, they're not flappy and haven't had any marks from scraping as yet...time will tell.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Subydoug wrote:Bit of a face lift on the old wagon, repainted the grill, the black painted sections on the headlight shrouds and cleaned up the "chrome" bits. Shame the bumper still looks shitty and the roo bar...
Tyre black does a good job. My mother inlaw uses it on Sunnie the Brumby's bumper bar, side trim and rear bumperettes.

Might be worth a try ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”