What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon May 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Finally, SubaXtreme are ditching their useless cast alloy sump guard and using plate alloy. Took waaay too long!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm

henpecked wrote:Quite a lot got done Friday, mostly ( actually all [;)] ) by a fellow member

WIC got

1) repaired drivers side electric window motor ( replaced entire assembly)

2) rims and lyres - 195/60/15s

2) New rear disk Brakes

4) Rear LSD

I just need to put the OEM racks on, the 2" lift and steering extension, the rear window louvre, fix up the aerial and speakers, and put proper coolant in the new alloy radiator and its all good to go start work on the Brumby:D
Jealous on so many levels
1. Your paint job is in better nick than mine
2. Discs on the rear
3. Nice alloys
4. You didn't have the stupid screw on roof luggage racks so you didn't need to remove them and fix the holes.
5. Alloy radiator

Just for interest, what is the paint code for the car ?
The sticker should be on the shroud above the top of the radiator at the front of the car when you open the bonnet.
Well done with all the mods.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Cliff R wrote:Jealous on so many levels
1. Your paint job is in better nick than mine
2. Discs on the rear
3. Nice alloys
4. You didn't have the stupid screw on roof luggage racks so you didn't need to remove them and fix the holes.
5. Alloy radiator

Just for interest, what is the paint code for the car ?
The sticker should be on the shroud above the top of the radiator at the front of the car when you open the bonnet.
Well done with all the mods.
no shroud - so no paint code on either the wagon or the brumby ( both silver) - sorry

don't be J re the paint, the wagon has rust corner on the hatch , and two on the windsreen, and fade and chips all over on both cars. ;)

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Henpecked
Still looks good what you have done. Forgot to mention I like the LSD too, would like one as well.
Tomorrow, I plan to lay my first spray gun coats of No 15 Subaru silver on my roof followed by the clear coat.
Have to teach myself to spray paint first.

mattw

Post by mattw » Tue May 12, 2015 11:42 pm

Clutch and single mass flywheel swap on the Outback last month. CVs and new stereo in the Brumby this month.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 pm

I got 4 "new" tyres 215/65/14 fitted to my straightest rims (took some doing) for a total cost of 200 dollars. the front 2 are brand new and the rears are 90% 30 dollars each, 20 dollars each to fit and balance. (including tyre disposal) No more vibrating steering wheel or 4 wheel drifting in the wet.

As well I finally got my alloy bash plate in place. as agricultural as it looks I can jack the car up using the alloy C bar brace/lift block? :) (not that I will unless I have to)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:36 pm

^ Those rims look sexy on the Vortex. What bash plate is that?

I put a choke cable on today

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Yeah I did have a black set on the Vortex but the white ones look way better.

The bash plate is from an impreza of some decription, from memory it is written on the engine side of it. The aluminium C channel came from the recycle/scrap bin at work.

The hardest part was cutting the angles using a very small vice and a hacksaw.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Brumby_ProjectX

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Sat May 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Trip to upullit scored some sunrays with center caps and 90% tried ☺ still trying to sort out brake issue with a few things to try tomorrow.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:41 pm

TOONGA wrote: The hardest part was cutting the angles using a very small vice and a hacksaw.

TOONGA

I know about that. First thing I get when I move out is a proper work bench.

henpecked

Wagon

Post by henpecked » Thu May 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Got its A/C pulley replaced with a new bearing (CBC Adelaide $17) and a big and solid (6mm steel tube) - "don't park close to me" tow bar to intimidate the tailgaiters that Adelaide roads are infested with.

wanted to have it on the Brumby - but it won't fit.

Thanks to a forum member for getting this done for me, ( I did the bearing replacement using the baering freeze and pulley on the BBQ tip on the other thread.

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:27 am

New pads on the front Image

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 am

Also new tyres on the front, oil change with k&n oil filter, trans oil change and new filter and driving lights but yet to be wired up.
Canny
89 Vortex XT 4WD Turbo

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun May 31, 2015 11:28 am

Got the MY through its 33rd year of rego.
Good for another 12 months.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm

New LCA, radius rod and sway bar bushes in the front of the MY wagon. Old ones were Rooted, it was playing havoc on my camber and chewing out my tires. Now they are neutral if not slightly negative, certainly close enough for me to adjust. Took a bit longer then I wanted but wasn't really hard. Certainly worth it if it saves me getting new tires prematurely.

Regards

Doug

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sun May 31, 2015 6:50 pm

The silver Brumby finally got its rear disks , LSD and bash plate this week, and a bit of S/S and Doggy "bling".

rears
right

and left

AND the LSD and Bash Plate

and a S/S Tourneau brace

and here are the Australian Cattle dog passengers.

Dash is a red heeler , with more show ribbons than you can believe ,a full "Australian champion" show dog, she was just a few hundred points away from "Grand Australian Champion" status when the previous owner retired her from showing..

The 17 week old puppy has no papers but has two very hard working blue heeler parents, - what more could you want than a "bluey" born on Australia Day ??

Thanks to a forum member for getting this done for me

The tourneau also got re-stitched

The to do list is getting shorter,

for the Brumby its

1) window tint replacement
2) full bull bar
3) door dynamatting with 6x9 speakers, power windows and central locking and fix passenger ext handle
4) power steering
5) analogue cluster w Touring wagon dash and central console
6) HID lights
7) stronger reversing lights
8 ) forester seats
9) 280zx power door mirrors
10) alloy radiator
11) 2" lift blocks
12 longer action front struts w camber tops
13) longer action rear shocks
15) ej20 on original 4 speed, unless silverbullet is successful with using the MY 4x4 actuator arm with a L 5-speed box.

have all the parts ( except longer rear shocks) just short time, health and mechanical ability ;)

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sun May 31, 2015 7:51 pm

Subydoug wrote:New LCA, radius rod and sway bar bushes in the front of the MY wagon. Old ones were Rooted, it was playing havoc on my camber and chewing out my tires. Now they are neutral if not slightly negative, certainly close enough for me to adjust. Took a bit longer then I wanted but wasn't really hard. Certainly worth it if it saves me getting new tires prematurely.

Regards

Doug
What brand did you use and what is your impression of them?
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 pm

The sway bar mounts and sway bar-radius rod bushes were Nolathane branded. I actually got the links a few months ago (so I don't have the packet for the part #) because the passenger side had herniated out of the side and was clacking away. The LCA and Radius rod bushes I go off ebay a week or so ago. The LCA bushes are Superpro bushes (SPF1097K) and the radius rod brand was Whiteline (W81061).

The Nolathane bushes all fit pretty well bang on. The ones that have been in for a month or so haven't fallen apart. Seem fit for the job.

The Whiteline Radius rod bushes were significantly different to what was in there, however they fit and flexed enough. I cant really comment on there reliability as they have done about 5km's ;).

The Super pro LCA's were a little bit questionable. They were different to what was in there. The ones in the LCA were a single bush with a metal sleeve and a metal crush tube. The super pro ones were a two piece bush that went in from each side and a crush tube thru the middle, but no metal sleeve. This meant I had to remove the old metal sleeve ( old rubber bush basically pulled apart). It was too tight for the threaded rod, big socket and washer trick so I had to cut it carefully with a hacksaw. Once cut it slid right out.

The new super pro bushes fitted hand pressure tight into the LCA. The biggest problem with them was the large flanged end they had, probably 3mm thick on each side. This meant they didn't fit nicely into the bracket on the cross member. It also meant that a significant amount of squashing would have to take place for the crush tube that was the right length to clamp down hard with steel on steel. I ended up bending (dont do this on your car!) the bracket open a touch and hammering the LCA up into position. When tightened back up it all clamped up fine and my suspension still moves up and down so it cant be too tight :rolleyes:.
So meh, it worked but maybe alternative brands will be better.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 pm

Nice Brumby mate, silver looks good on the old birds :twisted:. Sounds like the pup will have a good mentor.

Regards

Doug

henpecked

Silver Brumby Pw steering and dual bash plates

Post by henpecked » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Put in power steering and doubled up the front bash plate. so one less scheduled job and one less unscheduled job. :D

Return to “Subaru Chat”