What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Subydoug wrote:Nice Brumby mate, silver looks good on the old birds :twisted:. Sounds like the pup will have a good mentor.

Regards

Doug
if you like puppies and cattle dogs and like to see the pups progress some videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMq7Ng ... fAiXskTc0g

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Got some goods off of ClassicJay, cheers again mate,

Front roo bar, Little bit better then the old one. Was a little bit twisted and still is but meh, will fend off the skip's just as well.

Also got his old Lib seats and installed them in the wagon. Orders of magnitude more comfy then the old MY seats. I ended up adapting the MY seat rails to the lib seats. Tight squeeze but they fit.

And a couple of MY's in the dunes,

Both are completely stock :twisted:.

Regards

Doug
Attachments
DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg (120.39 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
DSC_0129.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg (109.99 KiB) Viewed 9246 times
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 9247 times

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Haha, yeah both stock :p

Both looking good but that hatch...:twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Finally fixed the door sensor on the passenger side. Such a fiddly job, to remove the plastic shroud the seat needs to be come out. So 4 bolts, remove the seat, 7 screws and twist/squeeze/curse the plastic shroud until it pops out, then of course the 2 wires are jammed under the fuel lines (this was passenger side sensor), so very carefully pry the pipes out of their plastic clips one at a time and remove the old wires (at least they have QC lugs at the loom end), fit the new sensor in and feed the 2 wires through the inner door and squeeze them under the same fuel pipes, re-connect and test. Works fine, but now my driver side ones are only working intermittently. Re-assemble passenger side and will look at the drivers side another time (at least they don't throw a short circuit fault, they simply stay open circuit so no red light on the dash display).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 am

on the Brumby ? Instructions sound very familiar :) More a switch than a sensor on these old girls. I have done a few , where it is best to suggest to blow the fuse first or disconnect the battery :p and have bypassed your first few steps and just pulled switch out from outside, broke wires as the connectors were jammed in with something else other than fuel line - RHS , soldered in an L Series door switch, then needed to build up door side surface with the yellow washer from a hydroseal domestic tap washer with rivet. Really needs a bit more as when body flexes i get some courteous light flash on for me :)

Clearwater99

Post by Clearwater99 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:21 pm

I did this

Speiling mistakes .. me never !

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Nice Clearwater99! Looking good :) Just need a little lift to go with the new rubber ;)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Very nice! :cool: Did you do the lettering?
Tigger wrote:Just need a little lift to go with the new rubber ;)
Yep ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Spent a few hours messing around with the hand brake "solution" put in by mechanic for XT6 5-stud conversion - ended up ripping out the entire Liberty hand-brake and putting the factory (MY) one back in, with the Liberty reverse-J handbrake line bracket bolted on. Now everything feels factory again, both sides pull at the same rate, but still needs a bit more engagement. Also fitted the factory rubber boot that goes around the gearbox levers that has been missing for several years and lets heat and oil vapour into the cabin. Painted up the centre console as it had varying degrees of sun-fade from the past 25 years.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:24 pm

The air filter on my Brum was waaaay overdue for a clean/replacement. Just today got around to buying the right stuff to clean and oil it. The amount of black gunk that came out was astonishing! And in the water when I rinsed it off.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Are you sure your PCV valve is working correctly Sam?

I could have some something on my car today but yesterday I decided to make my finger the meat in a metal sandwich at work and had to put a hole through my nail to drain... Just typing with my left hand pains the finger. Looks like it will be another weekend of not much going on. Meanwhile my Brumby can't use it's second throat or the clutch slips...
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Fitted some 20mm spacers behind the Impreza 15" alloys on the Brumby:

(Left side is with spacer, right side without)

It may not be hella flush :), but looks a lot better than before and handling is noticeably improved.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:06 pm

They do look fantastic, just don't let the cops see dfoyl! :twisted:

PCV valve should be working, it's only just over 2 years old. I think it had more to do with that filter being just as old as the PCV, but having never been cleaned or replaced :oops:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:01 pm

>They do look fantastic, just don't let the cops see dfoyl

Oddly enough, I was actually pulled over for a random breath test yesterday in the Brumby - didn't even remark on the car, and we had to wait 3 minutes while the random drug test result did its thing (first time I've been pulled over in about 6 months, and first time I've had the random drug test, which imho is pretty hopeless (drag a two pronged sensor over your tongue, then wait 3 minutes for the result). Doing this on a 2 lane road on a sunday afternoon isn't a great idea, the bank-back of cars must have been a mile long and this is 30-odd km's out of Melbourne, practically in the bush... I digress :)

The spacers you would have to look pretty thoroughly to spot as the wheels I chose (1994 WRX I found out today, I just thought they were basic Impreza wheels) don't show much of the hub/caliper. But I'm still looking for a legal set in a suitable offset (+25 offset isn't common, some VW's and Toyota's get down to around +38 but they aren't hub-centric obviously).

Job for this evening was pulling the struts to have the springs dropped, as the gap between top of the wheel and the fender is 5 inches. I have a set of spring clamps to collect from the PO, and then I can undo the nut and drop the springs in to Spicer springs - $66 to re-temper them to my nominated height (I'm thinking a 3" drop).

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:07 am

some of the stats on drug testing drivers has been 20% hit, whereas booze testing about the 1% hit ! Three minutes and off you drive is better than some wasted dude causing grief to others and hours of road closure due to wasteds car and other body parts spread about the road, in turn contributing to PTST and its costs in turn. Glad you passed :)

The non ADR compliant spacers in Oz, could be better hidden if simply glued to the back of the rim and painted up to look like part of the rim, rather than the usual "see my shiny wheel spacers" look . Now, to test them out perhaps a defensive driver training course ?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:15 pm

I don't have a problem with the test as-such, but it's fairly invasive and a poor location to do it - Canterbury Road is about the biggest (non-highway) road from the outer east suburbs all the way into Melbourne. And doing it for people heading out of town on a sunday afternoon ? They'd do a lot better on people coming back from fishing/camping in the opposite direction (plus a pub just 2 mins down the road).

Back on the Brumby, had the struts pulled out during the week so the springs could be dropped 3" after the 5-stud changeover - it was about 6" from top of wheel to edge of fender, which looked silly with low profile tyres. I thought of going a little further but strut travel might become an issue. I had Spicer Springs treat the springs - no cut coils! $50 cash was pretty reasonable I thought. Re-assembled it all this evening, so back on the road tomorrow and a front end alignment top of the list.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 pm

I painted the sump on the new engine! :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

That's got to be the prettiest sump I've ever seen!!
Its totally sump-tuous and will give people sump-thing to talk about :-)
Also love the way you keep your engine crane warm in the winter :-) :-)

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 am

I redid the dodgy bog job on the bottom corner of the windscreen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Found the ideal wheels to eliminate the spacers I am running on the Brumby - first gen Audi TT. +31mm offset on 7" wheels. Sourced and fitted one today and it is perfect - just inside the guards, clears the suspension, and a classic 5 spoke design. Even the centre cap looks the same diameter. Now to find the rest of a set, don't see many TT's at wreckers and I don't know any hairdressers who drive them :)

Return to “Subaru Chat”