What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
stenno

Post by stenno » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 am

Audi A4 (a3?) "pepper pots" 15' alloys used to be the go to cheap rims for the rs lib / wrx crew for drag racing rims. Right offset and cleared 4 pot brakes. Availability is near zero tho

henpecked

bull bar replaces nudge bar and standard bumper

Post by henpecked » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 pm

feel safer re interstate trips now.

needs a little adjustment

the bar was second hand and really not in the best condition.

the aluminum mesh between all 4 posts had been removed, ( I'll see about replacing it) it was missing one of the rubber pads, missing both steel fitment arms, and one of the 4 captive bolts had been broken off. The new Pup chewed off thel electrical leads from the indicator pods, and one of those got destroyed by me with a fully jammed attachment screw :( - fortunately they were the standard brumby indicator pods, so I used the ones from the original bumper. Also Ruined one new nut cleaning out the bolt threads.

A good mate fabbed up new supports for me, as I had a 5 poster from the same QLD manufacturer on the white brumby, so he used its supports as templates, and they fitted perfectly . I stole a rubber pad of it as well.

This was the one that I will still have on the white beast., the 5 posts are just a little too intimidating on a non-lifted Brumby IMHO . But it certainly ensures that EVERYONE gives way to you

Got Copper grease to use on the bolts/nuts to make it easier to remove / tighten up next time.

But all in all I'm good with it , I wanted four posts and the slight wrap around at the side, and that's what I got.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 pm

I put mine up side down on a chassis...
Attachments
IMG_20150829_131839_309.jpg
IMG_20150829_131839_309.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm

>Audi A4 (a3?) "pepper pots" 15' alloys used to be the go to cheap rims for the rs lib / wrx crew for drag racing rims. Right offset and cleared 4 pot brakes. Availability is near zero tho

The early A3 offset works only for L series, not MY. I have seen a set for sale, but it gets me from +48 to +45, and I need about +25 on a 6" rim (+30 on a 7").

(I don't believe A4's use the 5x100 PCD, has always been 5x112 - only the A3 had 5x100)
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:01 pm

New wheels test-fitted (tyre size is 55 profile, which is too big, but was really just to ensure no turning issues...offset at +31 on a 7" rim is perfect.

The OEM silver finish will be redone to something more like this :

I have seen these wheels done entirely polished, but I think that will look too bling for the Brumby - a mix of polished with black is my preference but I might go argent grey...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:01 am

Wow that is one gleaming, great looking Brumby!! I love it :-)

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:52 am

I cheated a little, as I took the photos after washing it and also adjusted the contrast and brightness slightly to make the red "pop" and the black dark. That said, I was pretty impressed with the photo sharpness given it was taken on an iPhone (and scaled 50% down). All the little marks and dents in the tailgate, behind the drivers side door, on the bonnet, etc are hard to spot once the contrast is brought up.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 am

dfoyl, that's an awesome looking Brumby, well done! :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Wheels look great mate, nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:33 am

it POPS alrighty ! I do like your sedan ? front bumper and the treatment of a rear with bumperettes :)

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:48 pm

It's an 82 front bar, actually came off a Brumby, but no bumperettes. USDM rear bar.

GOD

Post by GOD » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:07 pm

I started mine today. First time in about 4.5 years :o.

Just gotta work out why it idles at 5000rpm, then she'll be sweet

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Spent a few hours working on the (new but old) wheels. Unlike the early WRX/Impreza wheels, the Audi TT wheels are a more porous material and need more polishing. Plus the undercoat is impervious to non-caustic paint stripper so it's strip, then sand off the white fill, then sand off the grey rubbery fill, then wet&dry sand with 200>400>800>1200, then buff, and repeat x 24 spokes. Starting to think about having them chemically treated to remove the layers, especially the centre and between the spokes...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:23 pm

GOD wrote:I started mine today. First time in about 4.5 years :o.

Just gotta work out why it idles at 5000rpm, then she'll be sweet

Dane.
You're talking about the EJ converted L series?

Make sure you don't have a sticky throttle, next would be to clean out the IACV as this may be stuck open. Don't remove the electrical part on top as this has been adjusted to the right spot and is apparently a difficult task to get it right again - instead remove the whole unit, which could mean breaking the cooling system to do it.

I turned my L around in the shed, did some over due maintenance/finishing off of the rear bar so everything sits as it should rather than looking like it's just hanging there ;) No pics :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

outback

Post by outback » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I dropped mine of to get new head gaskets lol..
I hope that improves it..
Well the colour of the oil anyway..lol

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:18 pm

After nearly 3 years of ownership, I finally decided to see why the interior light in my ute didn't work...

Light bulb was blown, no power at the light fitting, light switch was pretty much melted together so it couldn't move :???:

Followed the wire down the back pillar to behind the seatbelt reel to find the 2 pin plug...insides completely covered in green crust and soon as I touched it most of the wires fell out :o Crimped on some new terminals, cleaned the door switch while I was there and she's good as gold again.

Every time I take some interior panels off this car I'm greeted by piles of red bull dust, and about 5mm layer of dried mud on the floor. I can only imagine where this cars been before I had it and without doubt its been full of muddy water more than once in its life.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

David D

Post by David D » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:48 pm

My Brumby was just like that when I took it apart - full of hardened dust aka dirt. I think mine had been unregistered but used on a farm / property for a few years before I got it.

Good that you got the light working - every improvement is an improvement.

David D

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Managed to do a couple of things of late.
Painted up the Subaru Sunnies that I kept off my last L series (92 wagon), bought 2 x new 185/70/13 tyres for the front and fitted my existing 2 x 185/70/13 to the rear. At least I can put the car into 4WD now and not wind the drive train up due to different sized tyres.
Only problem is, I only have (2) centre caps as this is all that was on the L series when I bought it.
Cant fit the spare L series sunnie to the rear bumper mounted wheel carrier (not on the car at the moment) as it looks to have been made for a 14" rim with less offset than the L series rim so in order to fit the L series rim I will need to install a spacer on the carrier to sit the rim further out and fit longer stud bar to suit the spacer.

Bit the bullet and bought these for the MY.
I have an oil leak which could be the front crankshaft seal or it could be the usual issue with a crack in the oil pump. It is a 2nd had pump on the car now anyway.
Many thanks to Andy (FROG) for suppling the pump and the oil gauge sender came off ebay and is OEM Subary too.
Haven't fitted the new oil pump yet as I need to get a new crankshaft seal first and get some time together to due justice to be able to do the job properly.

Have fitted the oil gauge sender though and as I haven't had the correct sender for years (been using one off a Ford Falcon) I forgot what the reading on the gauge looked like with the correct sender so this is awesome now.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Lost an important little thing down the side of the passenger seat, last thing I wanted to be doing after work today was taking the seat out and interior apart to find it :evil:

Anyway, got to clean some more red dirt out from under the floor mat and a few other interesting items :rolleyes:

The more interesting things I find in this car the more of a picture I get of its past :o And no, these weren't what I lost down the side of the seat.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:17 am

Giving this stuff a go starting with the wagons rear, side windows and then when I work out the best way to apply it, it will go onto the main the rear window too.
Always had an external rear window louver but it is getting brittle and could be knocked off with a Philips head screwdriver but I still wanted some sort of sun protection.
I have managed to get in onto the rear side RH widow so far and I need to trim the sections outer edges but it doesn't look too bad.
Just want to see how it goes to see if it falls off but with the static properties it should hopefully be OK.
Locally, I can only get the version with the black interior and the silver outer colours. The car is silver anyway but the ideal would have been the black inner and outer. Each pack is 120 x 45cm in size so it isn't wide enough to go the whole height of the rear window.
You have to be an octopus to work this stuff even with plenty of water so putting it on across the rear window solo is virtually impossible.
I think for the rear window I will be putting on 3 separate vertical pieces starting with the middle section and then the outer 2 sections.
See how it goes anyway.

Return to “Subaru Chat”