What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 pm

revmax wrote:2pack is real bad for ya and breating aparatus is advised.
Anything that's sprayed in a large quantity is a health hazard! ALWAYS wear breathing apparatus - and not those dodgy little paper mouth and nose masks. A fitted face mask with a charcoal filter (I think that's what it was that we used) is the go.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:27 pm

nachaluva wrote:Hope its not as bad as it first appeared...
Just went and had another look, looks like all the force went into that plastic bumper strip as designed. Below that has been bowed out and there's a bit of a peak. It's actually the door behind the drivers door, just so I can look at the dent every time I walk to the car :???:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Just went and had another look, looks like all the force went into that plastic bumper strip as designed. Below that has been bowed out and there's a bit of a peak. It's actually the door behind the drivers door, just so I can look at the dent every time I walk to the car :???:
Bugger :(

If you replace the plastic strip how bad will it look?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Would still look pretty bad, there's definitely a big dent there. The noise was bad too, a bit like crushing a coke can :???:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:57 am

El_Freddo wrote:Anything that's sprayed in a large quantity is a health hazard! ALWAYS wear breathing apparatus - and not those dodgy little paper mouth and nose masks. A fitted face mask with a charcoal filter (I think that's what it was that we used) is the go.

Cheers

Bennie
2 pac is VERY bad for you, it is also illegal to use in your home garage / spray booth.
I think you need a permit or something,
All i know is that ive been told to stay well away from it.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 am

Yeah, the odd painter has told me 'they' discovered the first few years the face masks they were all using were not stoppin' the nasties so they all likely to have respiratory problems later ..... not nice at all

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm not a fan of breathing any type of fumes but 2-pack does seem to be a bit worse.

+1 for a proper face mask, even if you do sweat like crazy in em!
Silverbullet wrote:Would still look pretty bad, there's definitely a big dent there. The noise was bad too, a bit like crushing a coke can :???:
If its in the door can you pull the trim off & push out the dent?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 pm

nachaluva wrote:If its in the door can you pull the trim off & push out the dent?
+1 I did this to my drivers door after the whole thing was pushed in It came out almost like new. You have to look pretty hard to notice it :mrgreen:

Pretty much from the bottom of the plastics ear the side skirting up till 300mm from the window was pushed in, most of which came out with the palm of my hand!

fredsub

updated rear accessory switch

Post by fredsub » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:37 pm

actually I've installed it before, just updated the software for my preferences
after using it for a while.

so just drew up this wiring diagram to jog my memory.....

what it is a voltage level controlled switch.

I use it in conjunction with a 2nd battery whenever I put it in.
It also gives an alarm when voltage gets too low and switches off override
to safe restarting the engine.
I like to use a bit of the charge in the main battery because I installed a big one there anyway.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm

taza wrote:+1 I did this to my drivers door after the whole thing was pushed in It came out almost like new. You have to look pretty hard to notice it :mrgreen:

Pretty much from the bottom of the plastics ear the side skirting up till 300mm from the window was pushed in, most of which came out with the palm of my hand!
Gave it a go but it wont "pop" out as one dent, pushed on the inside and the middle popped out but it's still caved in slightly around the edges :???: Luckily the plastic strip did it's job and there's no paint missing to highlight the dent. Looks like I'll just have to live with it :(

I'll make up for it tomorrow though, going to re-paint my wheels and polish all the hub caps and lug nuts.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:37 pm

As promised I painted my wheels and polished the other bits. They may only be silver steelies but a new lick of paint and some chrome really makes a difference to the car. Only did 2 out of 4 today, other 2 tomorrow.

Here is a before and after, the hub cap is missing on the before but I can tell you they were pretty dull :rolleyes: Only quick pics as the road was literally burning my bare feet while I was taking them :o

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Managed to get up to the wreckers twice today to continue picking through a 91 and a 93 model L series wagons.
Concentrated on stereo's. The 91 model had a Clarion cassette radio with "spindle" controls and the facia to suit and the 93 model had a standard non "spindle" upmarket electronic Subaru radio with facia to suit. My reasoning to get these is to have facias to suit both spindle and non spindle stereos and to have the corresponding mounting plates. I was also able to get the front door liners (plasic) that go between the door frame and the door interior trims. These have the recessing for speakers to stop the weather getting to the rear of the door speakers. I was also able to get the 2 Subaru front door speakers. These are stuffed but they do have the original mounting plates so any speaker can be fitted to the original door holes. Other stuff to be bought from the wreckers is the front exhaust pipework from the heads to the first exhaust joint including the hot air stove pipe fitting (mine was rusted off), a wide variety of Subaru screws, bolts, etc and a Toyota Landcruiser screw jack for the shed.
A good day had.
To me wreckers are places for relaxation and discovery and I could spend days at these places.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Put in new iridium plugs & new leads yesterday. 1 lead had the metal end bit come off as I pulled it off, funnily enough that was the only plug that looked healthy! The others look dirty & 1 has some carbon buildup.

2 of the leads are fine but the 2 with the right angle ends dont fit properly...the metal bit sticks out past the boot so the boot wont go all the way on the coil! Image

Will have to get some different ones & bring these back.

Put a new fuel filter on. took Rally's advice & let it sit overnight to remove pressure. Could NOT get the hoses off! 1 of em was a little damaged so I just cut the *******s off & put on new hoses...easy Image

Silverbullet, happy to hear the dents a bit better. Those wheels came up well ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

revmax

Post by revmax » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Love reading this stuff fellas.

Spent some time retiring the Ol Brum and some time fitting the painted guards, bonnet and grill to the resto brum. Cleaned up some badges for it, painted where needs painting on the badges and fitted them.
Front mud guards to be fitted tomorrow. ( just waiting for the paint to dry )
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Also fixed a losing coolant problem. Had noticed it had been pushing out coolant as it heated up but not sucked it back in as it cooled. Result was overflow bottle overflowing (ironic hey! :rolleyes:) & level in radiator getting lower everytime the engine heat cycled.

Solution was a small 1" long bit of hose on the overflow outlet pipe on the radiator, then pushed the old hose on over the top & secured with a proper screw type clamp not the crappy old squeeze type.

It had been sucking in air instead of coolant.

Worked well so far....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 pm

nachaluva wrote:Solution was a small 1" long bit of hose on the overflow outlet pipe on the radiator, then pushed the old hose on over the top & secured with a proper screw type clamp not the crappy old squeeze type.

It had been sucking in air instead of coolant.

Worked well so far....
I like this idea, I'm going to have to steal it and put it to use on Sunnie the Brumby, who now has an overflow bottle to help with a cooling issue. Next will be either some wiring to keep one of the thermo fans on or mount another one out front to run all the time in summer...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Not that I have done anything to improve my Soob, but when I went to fill up the windscreen washer tank just before we were to travel 400kms to go camping, I noticed grease all up the firewall,.. a split inner cv boot. So no beach driving for me.

So now that I'm back, I popped into the spares shop this arvo and picked up a boot kit, so tomorrow I'll be pulling the hub and shaft off the Outback and installing it.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Went and bought a set of you-beaut iridium sparkers for the Outback, pulled the plugs (what a nightmare!) and fitted them right back in again when I found they were already iridium.
Why did they build this damn car so you have to disassemble half the engine bay just to service the plugs? I got bits of skin off me eveywhere....lol.
Oh well, at least I now have a spare set of plugs if any of the old ones go bad.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Tightened a surprisingly loose screw on the rear anti-sway bar mount... Thanks to my new socket and ratchet set I got for Crissy!!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Ok so I pulled off the hub and shaft and replaced the inner CV boot in just under 2 hours, but noticed that there is a small amount of coolant dripping on the right hand engine mount. Looks like I have an external head-gasket coolant leak, bugger!

I also reinstalled my coolant temp gauge, but with a better sensor point. I bought the gauge from Jaycar, it runs off a button cell battery and has high and low alarms.

I crimped the sensor into an electrical lug and then double heatshrinked it.

I then placed the sensor under the coolant crossover pipe bolt that attaches it to the block so it should give me a good indication of coolant temp, but also register cylinder block temp if I should loose my water.

As the engine warms up, the gauge says 64degC when at the 1/3 gauge mark, and then when driving it varies between 85-90deg. Thermo fans kick in at 94deg. Im yet to test what temp the 2/3 gauge mark is, as it occasionally gets close to that when pulling the loaded camper trailer up long hills on the freeway to 110kmh.

The temp also rises to about 96deg when I turn the car off
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Subaru Chat”