What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:53 am

Got GT Fabrication out of Picton (Bunbury, WA area) to fab & weld up some brackets so I could mount my Narva Ultra-Compacts. Drilled my own holes and now they are mounted... sans wiring harness. The bloke who installed my stereo will probably wire up my driving lights.

Measured my fuel economy on 91 octane: 36.89 L/392km = 9.3 L/100km? :)
This is with 32 psi on all four corners.
I made the fronts 34 psi and rears 38 psi before heading to Perth today.
Should be good for a few more km's of DTE.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:18 am

nice economy and that is the way to report it - none of this so many kms to the tank stuff :)
My last fill was 502 km to 58.6 litres lpg 58.6 / 5.02 = 11.67 cost wise about same as sub 5l/ 100km Diesel users :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 am

finished off my stereo install in the Brumby and added a two wire , $3.50 lights on reminder buzzer using old ashtray light source and CD power on

showthread.php?p=184258#post184258

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 am

Booked her in yesterday to get a straight through muffler put on. I have my borla headers on already and am keeping the stock resignator.

Hope its not too loud or droney..... :S

Should it be quieter than a straight pipe or cannon right?

Taza

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:58 am

From experience I can tell you the stock resonator will keep your system quieter, than it would if it were a straight pipe or cannon.

I had a stock turbo resonator on my brumby, then a turbo muffler and it was quiet. then I removed the turbo resonator for a stock one still quiet but louder than with the turbo resonator.

I had the stock resonator removed and had a straight pipe from the cat to the turbo muffler nice and noisy, now I have a stock turbo muffler instead of the turbo muffler and it is quieter but under acceleration it makes noise.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Luke82

Post by Luke82 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 pm

well my car got treated today, finally wired up the second thermo fan, put new plugs,leads dizzy cap and rotor in new uhf and some led lights in the boot. very very constructive day :)

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 pm

taza wrote:Booked her in yesterday to get a straight through muffler put on. I have my borla headers on already and am keeping the stock resignator.

Hope its not too loud or droney..... :S

Should it be quieter than a straight pipe or cannon right?

Taza
I'll have to see your Foz my next trip north.
I'm itching to go see Kalbarri again, maybe Monkey Mia.
Gero would be along the way. :)

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Same bloke who installed my immobilizer/keyless entry did this today:

-Wired up my driving lights, 3mil wire for most of the length to the relay; streuth, is that light hot 2 feet away! :mrgreen:

- Installed another 12 V power outlet, independent of my ignition, so it can be switched on to charge when I leave my car parked. When driving, I now have 2 power points. :)

- Discovered I do not need a suppressor, but found this mystery hissing is actually a vacuum leak. He plugged it a bit with a screw, but says I really should chase the line to find out the leak source for a proper repair or replacement. :???: Glad he found it though. :)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:30 am

2nd Hand Yank wrote:
- Discovered I do not need a suppressor, but found this mystery hissing is actually a vacuum leak. He plugged it a bit with a screw, but says I really should chase the line to find out the leak source for a proper repair or replacement. :???: Glad he found it though. :)

Press all the air vent buttons and see what works and what from what doesn't u'll know what that vacuum hose goes too:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 am

Made my own 'Bird Cage' As most of the WA guys i see often call it from a $10 fence i got at the scrap yard. 10-20 sticks later, Voila:):p
I need to borrow a pop rivet thing off someone to install the front wind plate:)

Also copied Dann and installed a LED stop center light on the inside of the tail gate:) I never had one and it should help keep the Cops off my back:D
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:33 am

gosh, that glass is fast - looks about 8% light transmittance - about twenty two per cent darker than waht NSW RTA likes. We see a lot of dark glass from WA here in the east and that will attract our cops like...like cops to a donut sale ! Not the same in WA ?

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:03 am

I'm gobsmacked at how much brighter it is with 2 driving lights + high beams. :o

More impressive for me is that despite there being a very focused centre beam, there's also impressive horizontal beam spread, limited only by the openings in between my roobar pillars. Car headlights never have that kind of spread.

If I was to quantify it, it's like having up to 5 times the light before 100m.
Easily 3 times the brightness for the bright areas, plus 2-3 times the angular/horizontal beam spread. Considering this beam spread, I can understand why mounting them under the side-mirrors is not really needed to see sideways. I would put the factory high beam's horizontal spread at about 20-30 degrees off the beam centreline. My driving light beam spead is pretty much 90 degrees off the beam centreline. (so that's half the total beam spread)

I had the globe centreline put at 14 cm inwards from my roobar pillars in case I wanted to adjust sideways... little did I know how good the beam spread would be. :p Guestimate of 7-10cm globe-to roobar-pillar placement, forward/aft direction.

Thanks guys for recommending driving lights! :mrgreen: :cool:

Total Cost:

- $120 for Narva Ultra Compacts (eBay but within Oz)
- $88 for aluminium bracket fab + welding to my roobar from GT Fabrication
- $90ish? for getting the immobilizer guy to wire it up properly for me,
protective looms for wires in front of the bonnet and a very nice looking switch install
- 4 hours of my time total, measuring, drilling holes, tweaking etc... but some of it was fun. :)

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:08 am

steptoe wrote:gosh, that glass is fast - looks about 8% light transmittance - about twenty two per cent darker than waht NSW RTA likes. We see a lot of dark glass from WA here in the east and that will attract our cops like...like cops to a donut sale ! Not the same in WA ?
Local shops suggested I could easily go as dark as 22-25% VLT and go unnoticed here; for extra heat rejection in the rear. One place showed me a demo car with 11% VLT, which didn't look crazy on a typical sunny day in SW WA.

Back in my part of Canada, there's no restriction on rear windows, so people go as dark as 5% VLT which we call "limo tint."

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm

steptoe wrote:gosh, that glass is fast - looks about 8% light transmittance - about twenty two per cent darker than waht NSW RTA likes. We see a lot of dark glass from WA here in the east and that will attract our cops like...like cops to a donut sale ! Not the same in WA ?

Yeah like yank said, thats what i've got exactly. 25% on all side windows and 5% limo on the back tailgate:D

Been 3years now since i had it done...., Touch WOOD....:D

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Added a new Rod holder to my bird cage 2day:) Total cost of $8.

Basically they are a T junction PVC pipe, i cut slots for it to fit on the side bars of my bird cage, and drilled a hole for a long split pine to side on the back to hold it in place. On steeled for black paint. ' was so close of being one RED and one YELLOW...., LOL nan...'

I'm thinking or screwing on a rubber strap on the PVC to secure down the rods.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Took my car to Rising sun for a new oil pump...no more stained driveways!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm

new oil pump or resealed ? I replace thwe front crank seal before I pull the oil pump out for a reseal - keep an eye on that too

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Brand new pump, only bit of shiny metal under the bonnet :rolleyes: Over the phone last week they said they'd do the crank seal as well, but it's not on the receipt printout. Not too bothered about that since just the pump took a whole pay packet :(

shhh don't talk about crank seals leaking, the car may be on the street but it can steal hear us :shock:

:mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:08 pm

New muffler to go with my UEL headers. Sounds nice, not too loud but not too quiet.

Was pretty cheap too. Only part im not so keen on is that the tip is facing down on an angle compared to sraight :(

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Bought & fitted a pair of Rola cross bars for the WRX for $65, just need to trim a fraction off each of them as they are off a GT Foz but they still fit fine........Usually around $270 :cool:
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Subaru Chat”