HAIL protection - any suggestions??

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

HAIL protection - any suggestions??

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:33 pm

just wondering what others have or use to protect from pending hail stone damage?

I have run 'round like the proverbial chook looking for cardboard, floor mats, anything to soften the blow, phew, each time not big enough to cause damage to harder than plant material.

Been thinking bubble wrap in the industrial roll, may even weld some lugs to the shed door beam to suspend a sail cloth or some sheet orf protection. Only works while at home though !

Maybe some pdr tools in the glovebox ?

purp

Post by purp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Just finished playing this game in Canberra. Got the front half of the car in under cover, put a couple of blankets over the back...

Every time we get a new car we get a massive hail storm. In this case, a 2009 Forester we picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Here ya go:

Hailsafe - based on Sunshine Coasthttp://www.hailsafe.com.au/

Stormcovers - also based on Sunshine Coast.
Peter

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 pm

heh. mate....the hail storm we had in perth last year,,,,the devistation was so bad, that ppl in their own work places and homes whernt safe. the hailstones where going through the buildings.......

helping the smaller storms is one thing, but we had a 15 minute storm that flooded most of perth, destroyed a hell of a lot of cars in certain areas (mine included) as well as houses etc. we where without power for 9 days!!

so ive just come to the conclusion that im not gonna be able to stop acts of nature, so include storm damage in my insurance. so much easier

hahaha

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:48 pm

Yep best storm ever for me, my Gen 2 Liberty was a write off so I did a deal with Shannons and got to keep the car and they also gave me a nice cheque for 9k to do what I wish with, the car looked like a pile of crap before the storm so a few dozen more dings don't bother me in the slightest lol.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 am

yeh my outback has a couple of hail dents on it. Hardly noticable tho.

there isnt much you can do in a real hail strom like we suffered last year.

when your car is out there and you run the risk of being knocked out by baseball size hail, i dont think its worth the risk haha

i found it abit ironic that one of the worst hit areas being ozzie park has all the expensive car yards haha

there were ALOT of cars running around like this for a while haha

the calm after the storm...this sunset is forever engraved into my memory

my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 am

Holy crap!

My plan would to be not living in a serious hail storm area to begin with! Biggest I've seen in Cobaw would be the size of a large table grape.

I think we've got more chance of a tree falling on our vehicles than we do of "golf ball dimple" hail damage.

I think if you have a vehicle that looks like a golf ball it would be deemed as un-roadworthy in victoria, something to do with body damage, even though those little dimples may help with aerodynamics...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:05 am

Ohh, they are bad, my ideas of handy sheets of cardboard and doona not likely to stop those six stitchers, and they have been nearby at times !!

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Mine was under a thickish car cover and it didn't seem to make much difference, no broken glass but both tail lights were cracked........Oh, and lots of holes in the car cover which I forgot to claim for DOH!!!
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:06 am

Bool Sheet ! I did not write this three years ago !! Did I ?? Surely not ?? Three years and a week ago ??

What is happening ??

Time warp ??

Getting older ??

Hey, at least I can remember!!

Genius suddenly dawned on me , reader, cheap and cheerful, now all I need is a hail storm to try it - those rolls of reed, bamboo skewer sewed into a privacy screen for adding to a fence ? About 17 to 25 bucks for 1800 x 3000 m ??

Easy stored in their bag, kept at the ready to roll out over desired beast or two to hopefuly deflect some of the smaller damage hail stones ??

Three years ?? Something happen to this site a few weeks back yeah ? Afect its time stamper ???

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Here's my patented PaveMaster XT500 hail protection system:D.
Did the job well protecting the coupe in last weeks massive storm here in Brisbane.

danceswithdingoes

Post by danceswithdingoes » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:26 pm

most of the locals here use thin foam mattresses with a blue tarp over them and bungee straps to the hubcaps.

Return to “Subaru Chat”