Look what showed up here today!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
And one way to get on to feedback to subaru - it's only small but it might mean something - is to comment on their videos on youtube. Subaru Australia.

Cheers

Bennie
i have already sent a couple of emails expressing my interest in a new brumby :P
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

thunder039 wrote:i have already sent a couple of emails expressing my interest in a new brumby :P
Great idea. They kept their rugged'ness through to the mid 2000's really. Although changing slightly, but now with no dual-range option at all they just lost the plot and are going for the american market all the way :(

My 01 Foz although it has a few more plastics than an L-Series its sill rugged, very darn practical an has good offroad ability (yay for 45% reduced low range). Yet its very comfortable, fuel effiecient when running properly and has all the features you could want other than l per100k output and how many km/litres are left in the tank.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:52 pm

taza wrote:Great idea. They kept their rugged'ness through to the mid 2000's really. Although changing slightly, but now with no dual-range option at all they just lost the plot and are going for the american market all the way :(

My 01 Foz although it has a few more plastics than an L-Series its sill rugged, very darn practical an has good offroad ability (yay for 45% reduced low range). Yet its very comfortable, fuel effiecient when running properly and has all the features you could want other than l per100k output and how many km/litres are left in the tank.
yeah i probably didnt give them enough credit. yes the best cars were made untill mid 2000s. but you never know they could be reading this thread ;)
2008 zook jimny -sold!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 pm

thunder039 wrote:i have already sent a couple of emails expressing my interest in a new brumby :P
haha good move! :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Clearwater99

Post by Clearwater99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 am

Hrm allmost worth upgrading from my 91 dl for that one .. I like aswell
Speiling mistakes .. me never !

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 am

ive gotta ask what is the big deal with the xv?
subaru already had a xv model that was also based on the impreza hatch for the previos verion.
so other then the fact its based on the new impreza is the xv realy all that new of a concept?
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:47 pm

thunder039 wrote:ive gotta ask what is the big deal with the xv?
subaru already had a xv model that was also based on the impreza hatch for the previos verion.
so other then the fact its based on the new impreza is the xv realy all that new of a concept?
I was thinking the same thing, but a quick look at the Subaru website it appears that the 3rd Gen Impreza had a XV variant
Image Image

Whereas the new XV is more of a side model to the new 4th Gen Impreza
Image Image

Kinda like how the Outback evolved, as in its first year in 1994, the only thing that differentiated it from the regular Gen2 Liberty wagon was the 2 tone paint and fog lights, but by 1995 they had raised the suspension. In 1998 when the Gen3 was released, the Outback had larger body mouldings and was available with the H6 making it appear as a separate model to the regular Gen3 wagon
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Gannon wrote:I was thinking the same thing, but a quick look at the Subaru website it appears that the 3rd Gen Impreza had a XV variant
Image Image

Whereas the new XV is more of a side model to the new 4th Gen Impreza
Image Image

Kinda like how the Outback evolved, as in its first year in 1994, the only thing that differentiated it from the regular Gen2 Liberty wagon was the 2 tone paint and fog lights, but by 1995 they had raised the suspension. In 1998 when the Gen3 was released, the Outback had larger body mouldings and was available with the H6 making it appear as a separate model to the regular Gen3 wagon
It was the same with the Forester. A small size wagon based off the Impreza, yet very different. Was a good allround car for the city or to be able o get out on weekends. (early 1st gen release 1997)

Now that I think about it the XV is kinda like that. If someone wants a small car, great for everyday shopping and the likes but want to get away outdoors on the weekend. I think the current Forester and Outback for that matter are too big. I can see why they have brought the XV out as it is smaller but has the ability to leave the tarmac unlike the impreza.

Im not keen of the current generations styling and would not buy one but the XV seems slightly different.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:10 pm

thunder039 wrote:yeah i probably didnt give them enough credit. yes the best cars were made untill mid 2000s.
You're right there. This is probably about the point in history that GM had their way with subaru's designs, I'm pretty sure this is what we've seen come out on the show room floor in the last couple of years...
taza wrote:It was the same with the Forester. A small size wagon based off the Impreza, yet very different. Was a good allround car for the city or to be able o get out on weekends. (early 1st gen release 1997)

Now that I think about it the XV is kinda like that. If someone wants a small car, great for everyday shopping and the likes but want to get away outdoors on the weekend. I think the current Forester and Outback for that matter are too big. I can see why they have brought the XV out as it is smaller but has the ability to leave the tarmac unlike the impreza.
While not having seen the XV in person, I still think it's too big - much like most of subaru's current line up. Plus they've lost a few of the subaru characteristics such as the frameless doors.
taza wrote:Im not keen of the current generations styling and would not buy one but the XV seems slightly different.
Only because it's really an SUV that actually stands out like every other SUV on the market. Can't wait until that formula is broken!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

i can see why they brought out the car as its smaller car that is versatile and smaller then the forester and outback. the niche in the market that its targeting i think is similar to that of the original forester that was smaller.
but the issue i have is that the made the new xv as a whole new concept car!
it wasnt a new idea they already had a xv that was based on the 3rd gen impreza that gannon has already pointed out. this is just the new 4th gen impreza xv. not a whole new idea or concept!
2008 zook jimny -sold!

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:24 pm

I think I want a silver one :D

ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

revmax

Post by revmax » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm

seen an orange one here in Coffs today and it does look better being able to see up close. The general shape of a soobie has been lost but I recon this is to be more fuel efficent.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

taza wrote:Real nice. We are getting one in our family in a few weeks. I can't wait!!! The white looks great.
You get yours yet Tarran?
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:42 pm

I went and had a look in and sit in one yesterday. Checked it out in great detail and was asking a sales bloke everything.

I really like it, the 6 speed feels smooth although I wasn't allowed to drive it.
I wasn't so keen on the rims in pictures but up close in real life is heaps better. Its a nice car but I wouldn't get leather, it just gets way too hot as I found out sitting in one.

So much for the advertised $26,999. the base models is 30k over here!
2" lift and it would be even better, its just too bad it doesn't have a low range.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

FROG wrote:You get yours yet Tarran?
Yeah probs, haven't got it yet but went and had a look with my old man.

Although the car will be for mum but she will have to come down and have a drive first.

Id take it over any other Subaru on the current new market.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 pm

taza wrote:the base models is 30k over here!

same as over here

2" lift and it would be even better, its just too bad it doesn't have a low range.
a low range box is the one things its missing!
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Excelix

Post by Excelix » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:13 pm

I have taken mine off road to rocky hill climbs, does very well indeed just lacks torque and the traction control is a massive set back! I dont imagine the clutch will last long although I expect subaru to foot the bill for that on warranty

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Excelix wrote:I have taken mine off road to rocky hill climbs, does very well indeed just lacks torque and the traction control is a massive set back! I dont imagine the clutch will last long although I expect subaru to foot the bill for that on warranty
HAHA! Like some bloke i read in Street Machine who had his rims replaced on warranty after he did a burn out untill there was no rubber and just sparks flying from his wheels. He was driving a commodore of course :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excelix

Post by Excelix » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

From my perspective its an "off road" vehicle with a mandatory traction control forcing you to ride the clutch, Subaru may have a few claims on these extremely soft clutches

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:37 pm

i would imagine you could turn off traction control for offroading??
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Return to “Subaru Chat”