Snorkel

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
kosi

Snorkel

Post by kosi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi guys,
Am wanting to install a snorkel to a 99 forrester, is there any available for this model ?

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm

nope,
its basically a DIY
some people have purchased other snorkels and adapted them to fit,
i got mine made a my local exhaust shop out of 2.5" mid steel,
then i got it powdercoated.

i have the profile for cutting the hole into the fender if you'd like it?
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 am

Hey Longy, 2.5" is pretty restrictive for a GT because of drag on the air by the time it gets to the turbo, I'd be going at least 3" - 3.5" to let it breathe, fine for a n/a though.

Seagull did some research on it and is going to ditch the new factory one from his Patrol and go 4" all the way because he's turbo'd it, needs to be bigger than the exhaust.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Quite a few guys have modified Pajero Safari snorkels to fit their Foresters.

2005 Foz

2000 Foz

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:01 pm

surely 2.5" cant be any smaller than the stock design anyway?
altho i do hear it really sucking in the air and whistling when i firmly accelerate
i stuck with 2.5" at the time as it didnt stick out past the fender
(in case cops were being fussy)
Not sure what i'll do with my next forester i get, whether i make one again, or not
main advantage is a cleaner air intake and no water ingress (if sealed correctly)
but turbo's probly dont help it.....

:(

ohwell
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:05 pm

You can do one for about $300 like in the pics above if your smart about it.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 am

longy99gt wrote:surely 2.5" cant be any smaller than the stock design anyway?
altho i do hear it really sucking in the air and whistling when i firmly accelerate
i stuck with 2.5" at the time as it didnt stick out past the fender
(in case cops were being fussy)
Not sure what i'll do with my next forester i get, whether i make one again, or not
main advantage is a cleaner air intake and no water ingress (if sealed correctly)
but turbo's probly dont help it.....

:(

ohwell
It's the length of the pipe that also slows it down, even the standard air box is 80mm going to the turbo, you wouldn't notice it below probably 3,500 but it would be like trying to breathe through a piece of garden hose after you just ran around the block, fine when at rest but not so good otherwise, can you disconnect it temporarily to see if there is a difference because I'm sure you'd be down 10-20% on power up top and probably using more fuel too.

The first thing most people do with a turbo is put as little restriction as possible with a short fat intake and pod, I don't like pods so on my Liberty I've got a 90mm pipe going to my air box from the cool air at the bottom of the inner guard and a much thicker pipe going from the AFM to the turbo, it's worth about 15-20hp.

On the offroader I've just got a standard Gen 2 Liberty air box open to the inner guard but I don't intend doing any deep water crossings either and if I was to put an open flow rear muffler on the back as it's 3" from the turbo back to the very restrictive standard WRX muffler I'd probably gain another 10hp, it's all about getting lots of cool air in and out of turbo's that make them so good......Hence front mounts and water sprays on intercoolers etc.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Subaru Chat”