Subaru UEC 1 , Ellie 0

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
discopotato03

Subaru UEC 1 , Ellie 0

Post by discopotato03 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Yer take wot ya think is a good recommendation of a ripper product and have it bite you , your L actually , on the ass .

Rocks up to the local Sube/Mitsy spares dept and walks out with 4 cans of this Grrr Brrr wana set that joint on fire gunge .
Thinks self we're gonna try this mirracle product here and now since we are out in the open .
Whips vacuum line off and sprays 1/2 can in and waits the specified 5 minutes . Fires the 82 up and sprays the second 1/2 in whilst keeping the revs up a bit . Then again as per directions shuts down and waits a further 10 minutes . Fires up again and won't idle so off I goes on what sounds like 3 alternating cylinders thinking it'll ckear itself up in a few kays , the L gods smile in glee . I turns uphill into a busy street heading towards a busy intersection and its getting difficult to keep the the unruly beast running . Lights go green and I'm about 10 back and somehow get this rapidly asphixiating chaff cutter moving when it cuts out . Then the burk in the V8 ute punts us from behind - well my towbar/ball anyway . Cracket his plastic and rust off my towball - tough .
Back to repeated cranking but the she dog is refusing to fire . Looks back to see cops and walks back to see if they can help guide the rapidly building peak traffic around me . They calls towie as well and lighting up the disco lights . Waiting waiting waiting hour and half goes past with two disinterested tilt trays . Then on come the disco music and off rhe cops go on more interesting duties . More waiting waiting and I thinks bugger this should pull the plugs out and see if they are fouled while there's enough daylight . No2 is covered in carbon so I clean it as best I can and remove 3 and 4 which are a bastard on my engine - they're not too bad as is 1 . I manage to fire it up but it won't idle and the tilt tray has finally arrived . So for the second time in 5 yrs we are on a truck , last time was a broken cam belt , and back home to the cave . $70 thank you very much , bout same as four cans of car killer .
Turns out I have 3 new plugs on hand though they are one heat range cooler NGK7s . They go into the four most difficult holes and I manage to get it firing but it stll won't idle . Manages to chock open TB and it runs long enough to check exhaust for smoke or non std smells which it doesn't have . Then it dies and refuses to start again . Skyline out and lame duck in so I can hook the trusty Ctek up to the battery .
Locks it away in disgust and goes to have a whinge to Coxy on batphone .
Seems that everyone has a set of new plugs handy and revs their engine at 2500-3500 as gunge goes through and then goes for a drive on open roads with the revs kept up .
This is not mentioned on the back of the can .

Message is people beware of this Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner because it seems it can foul you engine up and leave you stranded .

Plan B is to buy a set of new NGK 6 heat range plugs and with the battery fully charged , meaning full voltage to the ignition system , get it going and rev piss and pick handles out of it and then go fang the ass off it to burn this crud out .
If anyone has had unfortunate experiences with this stuff pray tell what you did to resurrect your car . I'm also looking for anyone who wants to buy three cans of not too cheap grief .

Not...happy...Jan .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 am

Fuji gods were playing with a few of us yesterday coz we were trying to fix something that weren't broke :(

Pull fuel and ignition fuses with plugs out, cover engine with towels (i didn't, and there was a Porsche three bays away at Car Lovers straight through open door and his hood lining copped coolant :oops: ) and crank whatever out prior to new plugs is my suggestion

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 16, 2012 9:27 am

yeh id normally leave the engine running and spray it in with someone on the accelerator keeping the revs up.

is your L carby or EFI?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm

you need to be using it every major service so the carbon doesnt build up too much, you take your chances with carbon coming off in chunks and hanging around in the cylinders and valves etc

I put four cans through my old Liberty before she cleared up (had never been used in 200 odd thousand klms)
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

I was surprised that nothing unusual came out the exhaust when it was running . I think the challenge is going to be stopping the plugs getting excess fuel on them now if it won't fire up straight away .
Anyhow have new dizzy cap and a set of NGK BPR6ES plugs to go in at episode 3 . Fingers crossed Coxy will be here to shake his head at me again .
I like the idea of cranking it over with the plugs out to see if it spits anything out . I can't remember which fuses to pull but the engine control unit one should be a good start . Actually my injectors have quick disconnect plugs on them so if Guru approves can unplug them .
You can bet that now it's home it'll belch enough smoke to irritate everyone if we can get it to run and keep going . Who knows how much black cheese is sitting inside its heart ATM .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 9:00 pm

I meant to yell out go BCP6RES for the 5/8" plug socket to fit better in the mpfi heads !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm

There is usually a guide inside the fuse panel lid, second row down, third one along is ignition I think, 4th ? fuel pump / injectors??

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Coxy reckons the spark is not as good as it could be so episode 4 will involve a new/er coil and maybe some Aerostart to see if il'll kick . At the moment its not trying to fire at all cow of a thing . It makes me wonder if the PCV is clagged up .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 11:34 pm

PCV valve is a service part that no one replaces, let alone ever clean, until 250,000km later. Watch Coxy closely looking for a better spark - you might end up with an Italian set up like his Brumby :) Genius he must be!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:28 am

I think if you're in stop start traffic all the time and not getting a good long run in often then this is the stuff to use, and probably use several cans. I used some last year for the first time ever. Got literally no smoke and probably not any performance gain.

But then again my subi regularly does an hour's cruising rather than the stop start of city traffic.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 am

Adrians been knocking up some serious kms in Ellie, doubt he sits around too much - specially with the the oomph he;s got !

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Oomph , dunno . Mine is the only RX L Series I've ever been in , and probably only one of possibly four I've ever seen in the Flesh . I think I've have seen more Vortexs and they are thin on the ground .
No time to do anything today or tomorrow . May be able to find a coil if I get off work early enough .
For the record what coils have others with the early EA82T (3 plug ECU systems) used and found ok ? I've been wondering about GT40T coils of late . There was was some mention of MEC717 coils here in the past for early RX Turbos .
I really need to get this thing back running because I want as many ks as possible out of this thing by November , have about 380500 and I'd like to see 390K plus if possible . 400K is a lot to ask but that would make the investment complete with Ellie .

Me hopes Coil + lead + something ballistic sprayed in her lungs will be the defibrillator she needs .

A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Still no joy , tried some start Ya Bastard and that did SFA . Not a cough or fart .
I asked Gardners if any of their suppliers listed a coil for an early EA82T . Bosch lists one that no ones ever see though Tridon have one under part number TICO33 .

Steptoe did you say you tried a Bosch MEC717 and if so how did it go long term ?

A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 pm

I used some MSD coil and it lasted as long as I had the car
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 18, 2012 9:30 pm

ark, ark, parts vultures a-circling....... the MEC 717 was Steve rising suns recomendation and that was likely based on Oz made coil not the china made of today. It will do the job surely at least until a Japanese sourced coil arrives.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Got any really big hills?
Just had a thought, roll starting it.
Forcing the engine to crank and operate, hopefully actually turning over flushing out whatever.
Just do as you normally would to roll start, engage clutch, but be prepared to stop incase it doesn't work.
In theory it should work.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Or tow it with another car.

So was it just a coincidence that the coil failed just after you applied the UEC?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:04 am

No big hill here , she cranks fast enough to start - if there is enough fuel spark and compression . I doubt towing or clutching would help .
I don't know if the coil has failed its just that Coxy reckons the spark from the coil lead shoud be blue not yellow - something about the spark voltage being too low .
Honestly this thing is making no effort to fire whatsoever and I can only think that with however much of that UEC gunge in the top end is not helping .
One area that spider plenums are different is that a reasonable part of its volume is below the height of the legs so there could be a pool of gunge in the bottom of it .
Anyway I need a coil that can give the plugs a serious enough belt to fire either fuel or the odd squirt of aerostart . Once its cleared itself may be able to go back to the other weakling because it ran acceptably before SUEC slimed my engine .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 19, 2012 9:23 am

Yellow spark - google will tell you it is shite and no good. Found that a few times and thinking what the..... no wonder won't start. Found another cause of no start and bugger me, Coxy could be proven wrong - I was - yellow spark starts car ! Caught me twice now on non subes, petrol efi

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 19, 2012 9:25 am

Hey, Adrian, care to spray a test patch of UEC to see what it does over time ? Hold open throttle overnight or shove hair dryer down it to dry out (or IGNITE :D ) any residue

Return to “Subaru Chat”