Brumby brake pedal response

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
phantomD

Brumby brake pedal response

Post by phantomD » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi all,

I've done some forum searching and come across people fitting Liberty brake boosters and master cylinders to their Brumby cars to improve braking. I already have rear discs which means that my car no longer locks up the front discs under heavy braking and actually maintains grip with the road. However I really have to work the Brumby brake pedal quite hard for all braking which has caused me some back pain (I have back problems which seem to be aggravated by this). Recently I drove a VW Golf and Mitsubishi Magna and the difference in brake "grab" on touching the pedal had me doing a lot of screaming stops at the last second when I got back into the Brumby.

So is the liberty brake booster and master cylinder what I am am looking for to make my brakes grab much harder on application of the pedal? If so, what Liberty cars can I take them from and what modifications are required? My Brumby has always needed quite a lot of pressure on the brake pedal and I understand that this is fairly normal.

I think that adequate braking is very important for safety, which is why I have already fitted rear discs. I am about to put an EA81S in this car and I'd really like to get better response from the brakes.

Cheers!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 am

Is your current master cylinder original , untouched , and how is the booster ? Bled everything properly too !

I recently found how healthy my booster was - freewheeling, engine off, running out of booster braking assistance, had foot on brake as I started engine and felt pedal suddenly pump up and brakes came to life again.

I recall many saying fit a Lib booster .....

The Brumby has the junction block for steel brake lines from the master just above it. A brake place has confirmed they can make flexi hoses to go between MC and junction block , so guess all you need is a MC with two outlets. The Brumby outlets shoot straight down towards junction block. Flex hoses may assist in fitting, instead of the stif steel ones. The L Series booster is too big to fit in MY.

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Phantom, I found the exact same problem with my Brumby before the rebuild. I have fitted rear discs and looked at the liberty booster however opted for a new master cylinder fresh oil and new brake lines. She is yet to be tested out however I am really hoping the new MC and braided lines will really improve the response time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 pm

What year Liberty can the booster come from and how hard are they to find? Thanks.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

you will need to do some panel work to get the lib booster in there too
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Return to “Subaru Chat”