BRZ Transplant Options ...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...

Post by 60766244 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Bantum wrote:Yeah - I sort of like your idea, but it does need a bit more thought in how to deal with rear end & B pillar doesn't quite look right ... :wink:

There might bee a wee problem with the lights & width of opening ... :(

Also goes for depth of floor :

With a strange half step for spare ...

P.S. - Here are some more underside shots of the BRZ :

Up front there's not much to see :

Nice rear end setup :

Might be that a bit of experimention is required to see if the rear tray & shell of Brumby body could be grafted somehow to the BRZ ?

It would look a bit odd though ...

Cheers, Bantum ... :p
Sounds like I need to work on my photoshop-fu...

Stay tuned. :rolleyes:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 am

steptoe wrote:sadly, the emissions of the donor engine are supposed to remain with it in retrofits. I reckon things might be better if someone came up with a reinforced tub kit with trace paper to apply to a Forester, cut along the lines, bolt here, there and everywghere and hey presto! a Forester ute ! No welding just modern glue assembly methods, rivets and bolts :) .
What a Feckin' gooood idea :idea: ! now where's my wife parked her Foz !:p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm

1111giles wrote:What a Feckin' gooood idea :idea: ! now where's my wife parked her Foz !:p
Gogogogo

Foz'd make a sweet ute!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 pm

60766244 wrote:Gogogogo

Foz'd make a sweet ute!
heres a concept image of one done with an older forester

stolen from http://offroadingsubarus.com/concptforesterpickup.html

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 am

I wouldnt mind seeing what the new XV would look like as a small ute
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Bantum
General Member

BRZ Kits ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Found these Aoshima kits :

Worth having a look at also STUDIO-27 :

Maybe get these & cobine with :

Bantum
General Member

More Utes ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Gannon wrote:I wouldnt mind seeing what the new XV would look like as a small ute
I Might try and find one or Draw it ... :)

In mean time, here are some more modified utes ...

Forester ute :

+ a slightly later model impreza based ute ...

Like it ... :)

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 pm

This thread has piqued my interest. As the owner of an MY wagon, an L series sedan, a 96 Liberty AND a BRZ I think I may have something to weigh in on.

The BRZ uses a different bellhousing pattern than every other Subaru. I'm yet to confirm but I'm suspicious that it could be the same as the Toyota rear wheel drive V6 'GR' family of engines.

A better candidate would be the FB20. My parents got an XV pretty much the day they came out and while the CVT dulls the hell out of the engine it doesn't feel to have the same torque gap around 3000-4500 that the BRZ has. It doesn't have 147kw, but neither will an FA20 running an aftermarket non-CAN bus ECU (good luck getting the direct injectors to work without a CAN bus).

I don't currently own an EA engine. All of my Subarus run EJ's (bar the BRZ of course), and if I bought a Brumby tomorrow I'd go with an EJ again. Further into the future the FB20 / manual gearbox option may look better but I doubt it for the next few years. I have just over 8600km on my BRZ and while I am loving the new engine's refinement I don't think it would be a suitable candidate for a swap to an older car. The EJ's do very well in the MY's and L's, they give great economy, excellent power and good manners provided the conversion is solid.

As for a BRZ ute.... good luck. I won't say never - I have seen an R32 Skyline ute and an S13 Silvia ute, but it's going to take a lot of effort on a BRZ and a lot of care to make sure the end result isn't ugly!
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Tim,

I'm curious as to what the width and length differences are between the EJ's and the FB's - I'm suspicious about the width of the new FB as I recall the bore/stroke length being longer. It might not fit in an MY or an L series for that matter.

But as you said, the EJ in the L/MY is the way to go - tried and tested plus it gives very good results over the original donk and it's pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 pm

The CAN part of CAN Bus stands for central area network and it runs on http (internet communication protol) . The reason for going to this system is to mi nim ise the wirin g between the ECU and the various onboard computers ie windscreen wiper trans AC etc etc .
High pressure capable injectors don't necessarily need this but it simplifies and reduces wiring costs for the manufacturers .

I believe there are aftermarket engine management systems that could run "GDI" or gasoline direct injection engines which are far from new anyway .
Mitsubishi , probably boo hiss here , have had them out for some years and not surprisingly the driver was emissions .
Injecting in the chamber allows diesel like flexibility and you can run the things on less fuel in some instances that port injected ones . Being able to inject close to top dead center and localised around the spark plugs makes for good economy and cleaner emissions .
Probably doesn't do much for overall power and is an expensive syspem to make .

A .

Bantum
General Member

Good to know ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

tim_81coupe wrote: ... The BRZ uses a different bellhousing pattern than every other Subaru. I'm yet to confirm but I'm suspicious that it could be the same as the Toyota rear wheel drive V6 'GR' family of engines ...
Thanks - No doubt Toyota has made some influential changes, I wonder what else can be bolted up to BRZ parts ? ... :D
tim_81coupe wrote: ... The BRZ has a CAN bus ECU ...
Another interesting tid bit of info, however I wasn't planning to go without it ... ;)

Note : My orignial thoughts were to transplant an entire Engine / transmision etc, as a package ...
tim_81coupe wrote: ... I don't think it would be a suitable candidate for a swap to an older car ...
At this stage I'd agree, but there always someone willing / brave / fool hardy enough to give a go ... :)
tim_81coupe wrote: ... As for a BRZ ute ... good luck ... it's going to take a lot of effort on a BRZ and a lot of care to make sure the end result isn't ugly ! ...
Yep - I also looked into it for a few moments & thought - nup too much trouble ... :cry:

But the XV-UTE is another proposition alltogether ... :D
El_Freddo wrote: ... I'm curious as to what the width and length differences are between the EJ's and the FB's - I'm suspicious about the width of the new FB as I recall the bore/stroke length being longer. It might not fit in an MY or an L series for that matter ...
Me too - Any body got some measurements of it ?

Bantum
General Member

More Details ..

Post by Bantum » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Found some more detail shots of the under body package ...

Something you don't normally see ...

Nice Rear end ... :)

Has any one else noticed that the rear gear box is not symmetrical ?

More details here ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Bantum wrote:

Has any one else noticed that the rear gear box is not symmetrical ?
Um what?

You mean the rear diff?

Diffs are not symmetrical anyway because the crownwheel must mesh on the side of the pinion gear. Subaru R160's are small and the offset isnt noticeable.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm

It isn't an AWD :)

I had a look at that article and I noticed the bellhousing on the motor has a space for the starter on the left or the right.

which holds hope for for an AWD version even though this would mean the car would have a completely different front geometry

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Subaru Chat”