BRZ Transplant Options ...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Bantum
General Member

BRZ Transplant Options ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 pm

As I had another look at the pic's I'd taken of this example : BRZ 070

A thought came into my head ... :idea: ... Wouldn't this be an ideal transplant package for the Brumby ? ... :p

( Package meaning: Engine, Gear Box, Drive Line, Brakes, Suspension, Wiring + possibly dash )

Hmm, I think more info' is needed on this one though ... :confused: ... Any one else had the same notions ?

Also we would have to wait 'till they start turning up in the wreckers yard, etc ...

So it's just a thought for now ... :(

P.S. - What other Subaru 'models' do you think this package can go into ?

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:04 pm

a few years time maybe.... that is of course the brumbys arent rusted out by that stage ;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:25 pm

And no doubt that the ECU will be incorporated into every other electrical in the car, most likely sprouting a BCM and running CANBUS, an auto electricians nightmare.

If I were to go to that much trouble, Id get one of the diesels from a new Forester or Outback and whack that in the Brumby
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Gannon wrote:no doubt that the ECU will be incorporated into every other electrical in the car, most likely sprouting a BCM and running CANBUS, an auto electricians nightmare.
I hate that shit! Such a waste in the "recycling" community such as ourselves!

I think you're getting "a little" ahead of yourself there Bantum! Personally, if it could be done I'd go for a H6 brumby, that'd be off it's tits! Otherwise it'd be what Gannon's said above or the tried and tested WRX drivetrain swap ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 am

If you were really keen you could run it off a good aftermarket computer and if it only has to meet a Brumbys era emissions standards a good tuner should be able to get it to pass . Need similar to OE exhaust and cat/s though .

BRZs are not going to be cheap or easy because they are current cars .

Single cam per bank EJ20 much easier .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:36 am

sadly, the emissions of the donor engine are supposed to remain with it in retrofits. I reckon things might be better if someone came up with a reinforced tub kit with trace paper to apply to a Forester, cut along the lines, bolt here, there and everywghere and hey presto! a Forester ute ! No welding just modern glue assembly methods, rivets and bolts :) .

Bantum
General Member

More Options ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:06 pm

thunder039 wrote:... that is of course the brumbys arent rusted out by that stage ;)

Or spare parts start getting harder to find ... :neutral:
Gannon wrote: ... And no doubt that the ECU will be incorporated into every other electrical in the car, most likely sprouting a BCM and running CANBUS, an auto electricians nightmare...
Unfortunate, but that's the way every thing is heading nowadays ... :(

Gannon wrote:... If I were to go to that much trouble, Id get one of the diesels from a new Forester or Outback and whack that in the Brumby...
Yea, I had thought of that too ... Although I'm waiting untill some other bunny has done the job first so that I can learn from their experience.
El_Freddo wrote: ... I think you're getting "a little" ahead of yourself there Bantum! Personally, if it could be done I'd go for a H6 brumby, that'd be off it's tits! Otherwise it'd be what Gannon's said above or the tried and tested WRX drivetrain swap ...
I did say at the outset that this was only an Idea ... :rolleyes: ... Had also thought of the H6, however it would require a lot re-enginering to make it fit in the Brumby, as it is a much bigger beast ( From my understanding it take's up radiator & floor space with a bigger gear box, etc ) but it has been done before in a MY wagon I think... :cool:
discopotato03 wrote: ... If it only has to meet a Brumbys era emissions standards ...
steptoe wrote:... sadly, the emissions of the donor engine are supposed to remain with it in retrofits ...
These two contradict each other, which is it ? ... :confused:
steptoe wrote:... I reckon things might be better if someone came up with a reinforced tub kit with trace paper to apply to a Forester, cut along the lines, bolt here, there and everywghere and hey presto! a Forester ute ! No welding just modern glue assembly methods, rivets and bolts ...
Hah, I like the idea - but not sure if it would work in practice ... :p

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:22 pm

quit dreaming!

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Bantum wrote: These two contradict each other, which is it ? ... :confused:
Both !!

You must meet the emissions regulations for the body and the engine.

So if you put a 2012 engine in a 1980's car then it must meet the 2012 regs.

If you put a 1980's engine in a 2012 car then it must still meet the 2012 regs.

In other words it must meet the regulations of whichever one is newer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Clearer now ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 pm

niterida wrote: ... it must meet the regulations of whichever one is newer ...
Ahh ... That's what I thought too, thank's niterida ... :D

Bantum
General Member

Another Query ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 am

When I was looking over the beast, I noticed that the intake manifold appears to be made of some sort of plastic, can anybody confirm this ?

I also checked out the underside ...

Interesting ... :)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 am

Yeah the intake manifold is made from a fibre reinforced resin, a little better than plastic and Subaru have been using it for 10 years now. It first appeared in the 2003 EZ30 of the Gen4 Liberty/Outback

Undertray would be for reduced wind drag
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 am

BRZ engine into an rwd / awd EA81 coupe sounds good to me... 147kW in a body 300 kg lighter than a BRZ.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 am

Remember this from the USA? EJ motor to toyota transmission

I'm sure it would cost way less in the long run and everything is already available to make a subi RWD. you could even use this bellhousing in conjuction with a toyota transfer case to make a very low, low range.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

Dreamers ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Alex wrote:... quit dreaming! ...
Ha, Never ! - I was re-reading posts on here & that one snuck through ... :)

Where would the world be with out the dreamers ? ( 'The Castle' comes to mind here )

Bantum
General Member

More Options ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Gannon wrote:... Yeah the intake manifold is made from a fibre reinforced resin, a little better than plastic and Subaru have been using it for 10 years now. It first appeared in the 2003 EZ30 of the Gen4 Liberty/Outback ...
Interesting, I wonder how well they hold up over time to temp, UV etc - It appears to be a trend for more composite materails ... :neutral:
Gannon wrote:... Undertray would be for reduced wind drag ...
No shit Sherlock, I was more commenting on the scaloped sides ... :roll:
dfoyl wrote: ... BRZ engine into an rwd / awd EA81 coupe sounds good to me... 147kW in a body 300 kg lighter than a BRZ ...
This is all a possiblity, but it would still require some engineering to achieve ... :-D
TOONGA wrote: ... Remember this from the USA? EJ motor to toyota transmission ...
No, but I went & had a look, interesting work he's got going there, I'm not sure I'd want to go that far at this time ... :p
TOONGA wrote: ... I'm sure it would cost way less in the long run and everything is already available to make a subi RWD. you could even use this bellhousing in conjuction with a toyota transfer case to make a very low, low range ...
Yeah each to their own, non committal to this & as I stated prevoiusly, we're only dreaming here ... :p

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Bit of a hangover there Bantum?

:)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Sounds' like it would be easier to modify the BRZ into a modern Brumby ;) - I'd buy one!
Start:

Chop:

Add:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Bantum
General Member

More Sub Mods ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am

TOONGA wrote: ... Bit of a hangover there Bantum ? ...
Ha - Sadly no I'm sorry to say, but I did get sidetracked by this ... :D

More here : Merkuru ... Note : Spoiler Alert - This is a long thread ... ;)

Just spent the last few hours reading this epic build & wow, not sure I'd want to do it - but I like it ... :)

Bantum
General Member

BRZ Ute ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 am

60766244 wrote: Image
Yeah - I sort of like your idea, but it does need a bit more thought in how to deal with rear end & B pillar does'nt quite look right ... :wink:

There might bee a wee problem with the lights & width of opening ... :(

Also goes for depth of floor :

With a strange half step for spare ...

P.S. - Here are some more underside shots of the BRZ :

Up front there's not much to see :

Nice rear end setup :

Might be that a bit of experimention is required to see if the rear tray & shell of Brumby body could be grafted somehow to the BRZ ?

It would look a bit odd though ...

Cheers, Bantum ... :p

Return to “Subaru Chat”