EA81 Thermo Switch for fan

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
David D

EA81 Thermo Switch for fan

Post by David D » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey guys

Has anyone recently bought a thermo switch for an EA81? The one that screws into the radiator and controls the electric fan? I have tried a couple of places locally (here in Mackay) and they had nothing listed. I went to Subaru and they wanted just over $100 to ship one from Japan.
I thought that sounded a bit steep and expected to be able to get an aftermarket one somewhere. Any thoughts?

Cheers

David D

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Yep, see FROG ... :)

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm sure I have seen them on ebay but can't see them listed at the moment. Have you tried the auto electrician - that's where I got the last one for an 83 Wagon but that was some years ago...

Thermoswitch operating temperature is 92-100 Celsius according to Gregories so find someone who can help you find a switch in that temp range with the right thread and make an adaptor for the wiring harness if needed? Seems steep for the genuine article...

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Regards

Gary ;)

David D

Post by David D » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for the help

That one on ebay certainly is a fair bit cheaper!

David D

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Auto electricians generally have them, Tridon is the brand I have used.

David D

Post by David D » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry to drag up this old thread but I just wanted to add something incase anyone else finds it through a search.

I bought that ebay thermo switch from takiciauto and fitted it while I did my carb rebuild. I took the car for a run then let it stand and the fan kicked in just before it went red. Can't ask for much more than that. Only time will tell how durable it is. Only thing I'm not sure of is that it came with a rubber O ring as opposed to the copper washer I removed. I used the O ring (because it was nice and new) but, in hindsight, a copper washer may last longer.

David

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm

just before it went red on the gauge! I'd be worried, factory set will turn fan on just a few mm over half. I prefer to have fan come on just above normal temp, more important the warmer climate you live in too. Manual switch is good add on

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:56 pm

I would guess most are set to come on only when necessary (ie. Just before red) to improve fuel economy. My Brumby does the same when I added AC and the change from crank driven to dual electric fans (factory setup).

Manual isn't necessary, they should go into always on if the thermal switch fails.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Well I know $140 is a steep price but this is what you get.

A hard plastic cylindrical unit you place somewhere along your radiator hose. Cut out a 3" hose section and install. Thats a sender unit. You also hook up your thermatic fans to it. The dash unit is digital and you can easily control the "on" temperature your fan come on at. Fan "off" is 7 degrees lower than your setting.

In the standard sender hole I installed a Hudson instruments sender switch (a hefty $95). This is hooked up to a reverse truck alarm. Switch is permanently set to 95 degrees, saving you cooking your engine. Takes the worry away. If it goes off a remote switch can turn it off since you are aware you are overheating.

Found the digital unit at Autobarn.

Hudson instruments are in Heidelberg Vic.

oops....

This very expensive system might not suit but could be of interest to 4WD'ers that want more control over their temperatures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks Tweety I'll ad that to my list of things to put on the wagon :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 pm

steptoe wrote:just before it went red on the gauge! I'd be worried, factory set will turn fan on just a few mm over half. I prefer to have fan come on just above normal temp, more important the warmer climate you live in too. Manual switch is good add on
I too would be concerned with this! The fans should kick in well below this point - half way up the temp gauge maximum!

The other issue could be your temp gauge sender unit is old and out of whack. Might be worth replacing.

The fan switch part number (pulled from USMB) is TS183. Give that a go on fleabay and see what comes up ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

David D

Post by David D » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:45 am

I checked this again yesterday and it actually kicks in not far above the half way mark. not sure what made me think it was close to red but, then again, I was pre-occupied with my carby leaking coolant at the time. Sorry for the innaccurate post.

David

David D

Post by David D » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just gonna add to this to keep the info together.....

I found out recently that my thermo fan doesn't kick in any more. I haven't double checked the motor yet but (as per earlier in the thread) the switch was replaced in July 2013. I'm just wondering what the normal lifespan of a thermo switch is. If this one has failed, it has lasted around 18 months. To me, this doesn't seem very long. Is this normal?

Cheers

David D

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:37 pm

I had two fail within 2 years , both new, both supplied to my mechanic through sprint auto. As he was a trde customer they replaced the first one for free.

He then went and got a genuine part and its been fine.

Get what you pay for I suppose

David D

Post by David D » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Yeah I suppose you're right - it was exceptionally cheap. Having said that, I'll probably end up buying another cheap one. At least it'll make me change the coolant regularly!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:15 pm

You can test your system by shorting the wire to the switch to earth. This should trigger the system to turn the fan(s) ON.

If that doesn't work try running the fan straight from the battery to make sure it's working. If it does check your fuses and joints.

Also make sure your radiator has its little earth wire fitted correctly, it mounts on top of the radiator to the upper rad support panel. If this is not there or is not fitted properly it can change the way the thermo switch works for the worse...

Cheers

Bennie

David D

Post by David D » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am

The earth looks good but I'll definitely get a couple of wires on it to check before I replace the switch.

Cheers

David D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm

That switch is not cheap either! I wanted to swap mine for a new one as I thought above half was way too high for the fans to be kicking in, but in comparison to another brumby it was the same so I've left it.

I have thought of an earth piggy back with a resistor setup to lower the fan's operating temp but I'm not 100% sure this would work as I intend it to. Would need an auto sparky to comment on it for confirmation.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”