Help, to EJ or Weber??

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Kalbarri_baru

Help, to EJ or Weber??

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Heya all,
Stuck with a dilemma here, going to spend some cash on my 93 L Series, it is due for a complete Timing kit and I was going to replace the Oil Pump and Water Pump at the same time, the Km's are 245,000 and have a Weber installed along with a new top to toe custom Exhaust system, I also need to get my steering rack replaced, so there are a few dollars to be spent here.

The big question is should I just go EJ or have all this other work done on the EA82, I must say that I like the simplicity of an EA82 that if some thing goes wrong it is generally easy enough to fix the problem if stuck in a remote situation.

Any suggestions or Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

WayneO.....................
Attachments
10percent2.jpg
10percent2.jpg (16.96 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
10percent.jpg
10percent.jpg (23.88 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

Kalbarri_baru

Forgot to mention

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Forgot to mention, I drive this car daily and it is always on the Beach or up River and never has any problems with soft sand, only wanting the upgrades because it is somewhat sluggish on any sort of incline both off road and on road, eg maximum speed on the bitumen is 75 to 80kmh up hill with no gear in the car and the driver only.

Cheers WayneO..................

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 pm

What about an EJ with a weber? :)

a blatent plug for my set up aka PJ

I have so much fun on the beach and on the road :)

Or you can go Bennies way and put an ECU and EJ22 into yor "L" or Guy EJ@% with an ECU

Or a turbocharged motor like RSR555 aka Paul has done

sooooooooo many choices :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Cheers for the options, now I have more to think about than I thought, got my heart still set on the EA82 with a Weber though, just need any pros or cons, more so any cons.

Cheers WayneO............

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 am

If your heart is set on the EA82 with weber stick with that. I usually plug for the EJ22 conversion but if you're heart is leaving something behind that it wants I don't think you'll ever be overly satisfied with the effort for the EJ.

That said have a read of this. This is a write up of how I did my own EJ conversion - Some of the reasons I went with the EJ conversion is that I was done with cleaning out those bloody cam box sections; hated, HATED the lifter tick I was getting; was after more power and economy (not usually associated but with EFI and better engine design you'll be surprised) and was after something I didn't need to play around with for some time.

With the EJ I've not had to touch the wiring since it's gone in. I've had to replace the clutch as I destroyed a stock EJ clutch - but I get the feeling it was faulty before I put it in. Other than this I can't fault my EJ's running. It's got plenty of power, even with 27's on the L's stock gearing and a bucket load of gear including a roof top camper when we're off touring.

I've added a 2 and 1/4 inch cat back exhaust which has made a significant difference in performance after having it plumbed into the stock L series exhaust! And the note is much better too - but this would depend on the exhaust setup you go for.

But, like I said, if you're keen on the EA82 with the weber and not looking for more from it then there's really no need to up grade unless other things are bugging you.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

Seems as those who have made the change to EJ wonder how they ever lived with the EA82, LOL yeah the tick Tick TIck TICk TICK, does get a bit annoying, but after changing the oil pump, seals and some Penrite it has lost that tick.

Ok Pros and Cons for both motors would be appreciated.

eg:

Pro: Simplicity, Reliability, Easy to work on, Non Interference motor (Big Plus there saved me a few times)

Con: Gutless under load up hills, the Tick, The stupid little heater hose that runs past the right hand side of the Carby, No 2 Spark Plug (Grrrrrrrrr) not so bad now I have removed air con.

OMG I did not realize how many cons there are and I have not even put that much thought into it, btw it could be said for the timing belts change them every 50,000 and there would be no probs, the prob there is I rarely have a L Series that long before I replace it so I am relying on the seller to be honest as to when the Timing belt was done last.

Gonna keep this L as I have spent a few bucks on it already and want to spend a bit more yet.

Cheers WayneO............................

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Wayneo.. if you're not in a rush to have this done, let us talk more on the beach (ANZAC weekend) about this, as there is lots of different ways to do this conversion. I personelly like to keep offroad cars as simple as possible (don't look at my offroader here) but once you learn the EFI system that Subaru use, then you'll be fine to sort out with a few small tools but going the Carb/Dizzy EJ is my preferred choice.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

RSR 555 wrote: going the Carb/Dizzy EJ is my preferred choice.
Says him with the Ej turbo L series offroader!

The EJ conversion is great as when the wiring is done correctly it's a pretty simple system once you know your way around it as Paul has said. And it works very well if maintained correctly.

I can't stress how important it is to get the wiring correct - once you've done this the next things is replacing the old sensors. I've chosen to do mine as they fail. In the three years I've had the EJ I've gone with a new knock sensor and o2 sensor, second hand cleaned up throttle position sensor and a cam belt kit after sitting in a rather large puddle for some time (about 7 minutes or so).

Love the EJ, haven't looked back. Can cost more than the vehicle is worth, but as an Aussie that loves a big engine in a small car you can't go wrong with the EJ22 in the L series - it's a match that should have come from the factory!

Cheers

Bennie

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 pm

i might have a ej16 impreza for cheap was driving clutch burnt out i brought it but got hit by a truck on the way home and is now writen off just waiting for insurance would be cool for a conversion just a bit smaller engine
just a thought engine might be too small for what your after

tristan
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Cheers for the offer, but gonna wait for an already converted L series to hit the market once I have some extra funds to play with.

Cheers WayneO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Fair enough.

Be careful though - make sure it's a "certified Subarino" wiring conversion ;) You don't want to be buying someone else's problem.

Cheers

Bennie

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Just found one advertised on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/armadale ... 1014316447

Wants nearly $6000 for it though, out of my price range.

Cheers WayneO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Kalbarri_baru wrote:Just found one advertised on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/armadale ... 1014316447

Yeah for sure! Got some good bits on it though and it's lifted. Realistically you need the lift to fit the 26/27 inch tyres to make use of the forester 4.11 ratio gearbox - basically stock foz gearing right there... It'd be great off road.

Really though if you send your wiring to Subarino and get Paul to help out when he can I reckon you could retain your L series and do the conversion for a lot cheaper than buying another vehicle. There's also the issue of it passing the pits that you need to consider too.

Regards

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

El_Freddo wrote:Says him with the Ej turbo L series offroader!
I did say.. don't look at my Offroader :p

I am still trying to get the carby/dizzy EJ made as simple as possible but the main thing is getting hold of the right dizzy and manifold :(
El_Freddo wrote:EJ22 in the L series - it's a match that should have come from the factory!
My thoughts and expressions when ever I tell people about the EJ conversion.
Kalbarri_baru wrote:Just found one advertised on Gumtree

Well he is open to offers but really, if you work out what a clean 92 L would set you back, plus getting an EJ22, then modify the wiring, and buy all the EFI stuff, then buy the Foz AWD Dual Range box and Diff, then the X bread conversion kit, set of wheels and (near new) tyres, then new exhaust system, then the Lift Kit and new shocks, springs and bushes, plus, plus.. well I reckon for what he's asking isn't too bad.

The way I'd work it out WayneO, is what could you sell your car for and how much could you buy this for? and if the difference is less that what you'd pay to have yours converted, then hey.. it might just save you some headaches.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey Wayne.. here's the perfect setup for you
showthread.php?t=23243

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 am

Kalbarri_baru wrote:Cheers for the offer, but gonna wait for an already converted L series to hit the market once I have some extra funds to play with.

Cheers WayneO
Was toying with this idea myself, to build or to buy.

Also, if you're interested, I have a steering rack in pretty schmick condition out of either an EA81 or EA82, can't remember which I'll have to have a look, but the offer's there :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

I've driven that L that's on gumtree. I got my engine from the forester where he got thegear box from. Goes pretty well and is half decent.
6k is a fair but for it though. For 4,500 I'd consider it...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Could almost buy a GT foz for $6G!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”