Shocks!!!!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Wooster

Shocks!!!!

Post by Wooster » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Checked the threads, could not identify a recommendation for aftermarket shocks for a Brumby (1988). Specifically chasing rear shocks BTW.
I may have missed it but would like to know what members think is the best bang for buck?, happy to go with originals if that's the general concensus.

As usual imput appreciated

cheers
Ray

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:31 pm

1988 model

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm

I think the general consensus is to go with the KYB gear. They're fairly pricey for the front,but rears are reasonable. There's usually a few sets listed on eBay to give ya an idea on cost.

Cheers Jake

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

here you go

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_saca ... er&_sop=15
from 58 dollars for 1, to 105 dollars for a pair

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Cheers guys, shall have a bo peep

Tozzy

Brumby shocks

Post by Tozzy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Got a set for my 89 Brumby from Pedars. About $150????? a set, I think.

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 pm

INterestingly , shocks are available via ebay for about $110 a pair, originals from Subaru for $215 a pair, Bursons $260 a pair. I think I'll keep sniffing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Find out if the ones from subaru are gas or oil filled. My bet is that they'll be oil filled. The others will be gas.

Oil is preferred for offroading, gas gives good ride on-road apparently but once they start to leak that's the end of them where as the oil filled units will continue to work until they loose all their oil, this can take quite some time to occur!

Start cleaning up the area behind the captive nuts and add some penetrene or WD40. Mud/road grime sits up there and those bolts are crazy to undo. I'm still working on one at the moment - third go next time I'm at it :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

To take this discussion further, with a 2" lift kit fitted, do the standard rear shocks work OK or should there be a block at the top to compensate for the extra height? Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Wooster wrote:INterestingly , shocks are available via ebay for about $110 a pair, originals from Subaru for $215 a pair, Bursons $260 a pair. I think I'll keep sniffing
It would depend on how long you're keeping the car and what you budget is. IMO you can not get better than the original (oil filled) shockies. These will last 3 to 4 times longer than the gas ones. So even know you pay less for the gas ones, they don't last as long but the gas ones ride better.
El_Freddo wrote:Find out if the ones from subaru are gas or oil filled. My bet is that they'll be oil filled. The others will be gas.

Oil is preferred for offroading, gas gives good ride on-road apparently but once they start to leak that's the end of them where as the oil filled units will continue to work until they loose all their oil, this can take quite some time to occur!
Very true Bennie. The gas struts are guaranteed for 50,000kms but some might last closer to 100,000kms. I have seen some original struts in cars well past the 300,000kms mark.
Backyard_Brumby wrote:To take this discussion further, with a 2" lift kit fitted, do the standard rear shocks work OK or should there be a block at the top to compensate for the extra height? Thanks.
Lift kits, if they are the complete "body" lift kit, make no difference to the suspension setup, as the only move the body up. All the suspension parts stay in the original position. If you go the "siuspension" lift kit, then this puts extra stress on suspension components. Either way, you should always use lift blocks on the bump stops to stop the strut from failure.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks RSR, my "body" lift kit came with all the lifting blocks for the body and front struts but nothing for the rear shocks. As the original shocks are now operating in a more extended position, I'm thinking that I have to find some blocks to fit at the top of the rear shocks or source some shocks that are longer so that they will operate in the mid range of movement - if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 am

Yes the lift kit should have brackets at the top the same length as what ever kit you have fitted, the best option is rather than make an extension for the shocks, you make a new top shock mout up to suit eye to eye style shocks and then you can fit longer shocks in the from the rear of a land cruiser or something, really opens the doors up to your choice and style of shock then and also benifts your rear wheel travel.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah James, just as Grant has said, you should have extension pieces (same height as the rest of the kit) on top of the rear shocks, if you are using the standard rear shockies. This will stop the shockies getting damaged at full stretch.

I have seen other shocks being used (going off memory here), somone was using HQ Holden rear air shocks, that just require a modified top bracket and it worked really well. Jules (TOONGA) has modified a set of Honda struts in the back of his Brumby (which has a 2" lift kit) and they are adjustable coil-over style ones. Have a search for his thread.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Went KYB gear, amazing the variation in prices and who knows who. The quote I got from company X was $130 each, my mate was quoted $80 each for the same gear from the same supplier & same sales rep. Now when I get back from the current business trip to Melbourne I'll fit them!. Thanks guys

Return to “Subaru Chat”