99 GT Forester peeling paint and noisey engine

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
LIFTED

99 GT Forester peeling paint and noisey engine

Post by LIFTED » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 am

I was having a look at a GT Forester 230 000km to buy today but the clear coat on the bonnet, roof and tailgate has blistered in large areas and lifted off, does anyone know would this be an expensive repair at a panel shop?
The engine also sounded a bit noisey I mean it's louder than my other Subaru's
The best word to describe it would be rattley like a very milder version of a diesel engine. Not tight and smooth sounding like my current Subi's.
I wasn't that impressed with its get up and go considering it's a turbo 2 l compared to my current normal aspirated 2l Foz. Should it be an eye opening difference?
Lastly power steering was a bit noisey too, any ideas if this is an expensive repair?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 am

Clear coat will need to be refinished - ie repainted ~$2k to 3

Noisy engine = lifters. Search on here for cheap fixes, but not always successful

Power - should impress you...should be a marked difference over a NA subs. Not as quick as the WRX version (milder tune, smaller turbo etc) Even at 230K should pull well (if all is ok with it...)

Power steering - could just be low fluid, or a worn pump ~$200 for a secondhand one.

Sounds like a pup...Would want to be real cheap...
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 am

Sounds dodgy, as it sounds too cheap.

Oh and you have mail ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info Sven, how much would you call cheap?

Got your mail RSR555 I'll take a look at the Green Gt and compare power.

Maybe I had higher expectations of a turbo. If it does lack power is this a major issue?

Lady seems genuine not dodgy, she does what her mechanic says and brings it in for service every 5000k's for the past 5 years, she now has a nice new Volvo. I don't think engine noise is a major concern just worn and rattley maybe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm

<$3K if you want a nice body and allow for DYI WRX engine transplant
73 Yamaha DT3 250

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm

She just texted me and has sold it to someone else for $4000

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Would say you were lucky in regard to the engine noise and lack of power, you were describing.

Keep looking you will find one :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am

Toonga my gut feeling/intuition was saying no. Yep a good one always comes up eventually.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Clearly not the vehicle for you Mike. Don't be in a rush, the right one is the one you're going to be happy with. Have you taken any more for a drive? I'd suggest you have a look at one in the car yards, as these generally are in better condition than private sales. I'd drive the most expensive one you can find, as this one is usually the lowest kms and in the best condition. This will give you a good benchmark to work from.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 pm

RSR 555 wrote: I'd suggest you have a look at one in the car yards, as these generally are in better condition than private sales. I'd drive the most expensive one you can find, as this one is usually the lowest kms and in the best condition. This will give you a good benchmark to work from.
Good idea !

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Don't be in a rush
The best advice you'll ever get when it comes to women or buying cars ;):p
I'd drive the most expensive one you can find, as this one is usually the lowest kms and in the best condition. This will give you a good benchmark to work from.
More good advice ;)

I have a rule when I'm looking for a new car...I always test drive at least 3-4 before I even think of buying. No matter how good it appears, I always wait till I have an appreciation for the market. What is out there, relative prices & esp what to expect from a particular model. The few times I havent stuck to this, I've always regretted it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:28 pm

LIFTED wrote:She just texted me and has sold it to someone else for $4000
Good for her, very good for you...

And turbo EJs, should run like a swiss watch - noises that exist happily in a EA81s are mostly terminal in these motors.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

Yeah saw that ad, ha ha I like how he's got reduced for the weekend, whats he going to do on Monday put the price back up?

I went and saw the one you emailed me about, It's sold to someone from Newman who hasn't seen it yet. But he did let me take it for a spin. Sounded and went better than the other one.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 am

I'm sure he won't but who knows ;)

With the number of Foresters out there for sale, it's amazing how quick the cheaper ones go so fast.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

RSR 555 wrote:With the number of Foresters out there for sale, it's amazing how quick the cheaper ones go so fast.
Even without a turbo?? :p

There are a number of them out there, so if you can keep looking for the right one I think you'll be much happier with your decision in the long run!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”