Brumby ignition replacement

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Brumbyowner

Brumby ignition replacement

Post by Brumbyowner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm

I just replaced the ignition on my Brumby today. Bought a replacement on ebay for $135.
I used a centre punch on the two security bolts and they popped out quite easily! I was bloody happy with that, I thought that would be the hardest.
Put the new one in and bolted everything up, fortunately DID NOT snap tighten the new security bolts as when I bolted everything up, as the barrel was hard up against the dash. The mounting bracket is slightly different than the old one.

I ended up putting two washers in the steering column bracket to drop the righthand side down and it now works fine.

I drilled out the pin in the old one as I was going to swap the barrels, but then tried the washer idea and it worked fine. Now I have a key that doesn't fall out of the ignition and two doors that unlock with the same key!!!

:D

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I just went thru all this. The reason that the switch on ebay won't fit is because its for the gen 1 brumby. The whole barrel setup is different even though it will fit the column. How did you get all the plastics to line up again.

The original barrel has a slot that allows the plastic covers to sit in place and line evrything up. I wouldn't think realigning your steering column would be the answer...

I got mates rates for a genuine replacement at $230...was worth it to do it right...

Any photos??

Cheers
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”