Looking at buying this!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
taza
General Member

Looking at buying this!

Post by taza » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmont/ ... 1015627839

92 L-Series with EJ22 conversion unlicenced... :D Was on the phone to the owner and am going to go check it out on Saturday arvo. Will take works dealer plates so I can take it for a spin. Has an overheating issue he said but that should be too bigger problem.

This is currently my L-Series, exactly the same but with the EA82 and a little rough around the edges.. I'd probaby sell this after anyway, it's only cost me around $700 to have it licenced and running.. It's my current daily driver as the Forester is knocking and needs to make the final trip to Rockingham in a few weeks for it's conversion.

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 pm

What conversion is the Forester getting Taza? and did you end up fixing up that white bargain Forester?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Going to an EJ25 in the Forester from the EJ20. It'll have a full rebuilt, should have enough poke to get me around..
I passed off the white Forester in the end because I got my blue/silver L-Series for FREE!!! off gumtree :D :cool:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Are they seriously different cars above, same wheels, paint and graphics, only difference I could find was the roo bar :)
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

I would get that fuel system out of the engine bay.

That will not pass a safety certificate.
Regards

Gary ;)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 am

It does look like a bit of a time bomb, especially with the igniter on the same alloy plate :???:

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 am

Fuel pump should go back to stock location?
littlewhiteute wrote:I would get that fuel system out of the engine bay.

That will not pass a safety certificate.
Where too? I could always swap the ej22 and wiring into my newly licenced L. Only thing is this one has a really straight body..

Well I bought the car, $800 plus a heap of panels/parts off another L... Goes like a shower of shit!!! :D
But has done a head gasket and overheated driving it the 40km home.. Needs some TLC and some of the conversion stuff needs some work to get it licenced.
I take back everything I said about the EA82 being a fast engine, it may be double the speed of my Forester currently but it's still slow as hell. This thing went like a little rocket for a small 4 cylinder engine!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:28 am

Overheating with coolant bubbling in the overflow tank :(

The new EJ L infront and the EA Licenced L behind :P

Parked in a ditch at a friends till we can find time this week to pull the motor and do the HG's.. while I'm at it, I'll conduct all the wiring and tidy it up. Go over the whole car and make sure it's pretty sweet and sort out where to move the fuel system as per your recommendations..

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am

taza wrote: Well I bought the car, $800 plus a heap of panels/parts off another L... Goes like a shower of shit!!! :D
But has done a head gasket and overheated driving it the 40km home.. Needs some TLC and some of the conversion stuff needs some work to get it licenced.
I take back everything I said about the EA82 being a fast engine, it may be double the speed of my Forester currently but it's still slow as hell. This thing went like a little rocket for a small 4 cylinder engine!
That's a great buy!
My EJ22 RX Turbo was 1100 and it's been a few hundred bucks in parts and a fair bit of work getting it roadworthy.

I thought the exact same about the Brumby having a bit of go until I got the EJ. They go like nobody's business compared to the old EA's!

How can you tell it's the gasket by the way? Mine overheated soon after I got it but that was just an airlock in the radiator.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:28 am

^ I reckon it was a good buy, the body is immaculate and was owned by one old lady owner for 14 years who always garaged it.. I've only seen 1 other L-Series in this good condition. It even has all the log books, service history and manuals in the glove box!

Um well it overheated badly, the overflow tank was bubbling and the lid on it popped off and it lost a few litres of coolant. The coolant is very milky too with some brown sludge. It's definitely a headgasket so I'll pull the engine Thursday night after work and do them

In the spare parts I got was a whole L worth of indicators, headlights, bumper replacement bullbar, 2 perfect condition fenders, a spare gearbox(gonna need that lol), drive shafts, diff and heaps of other goodies.

Oh and wow does it rip a good skid! Had smoke coming off the wheels a few times.

jims

Post by jims » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Awesome Taza :) very pleased for you!!

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Nice Taza! What Tranny has it got in it? standard l series PT4WD?
Id be very keen to go for a spin in it if your in town sometime. Want something like that in my tex.

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks Guys. I sold my EA82 L-Series too today, have even had it licenced a week and got 2k for it!
Now I can work on this one :D

Doug it has the standard PT 4WD gearbox, seems to get the power down well but I find that it revs out pretty quick in most gears due to the standard L-Series ratios being quite low. In comparison to newer Subaru's anyhow. When I get it licenced I'll take you for a spin, I head over that side of town every now and again.
Certainly has a heap of go but isn't enough to be lightening fast or dangerous like a turbo.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 am

Cool find Taza, looks in great shape. One lady owner with books? Awesome! :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 pm

taza wrote:Thanks Guys. I sold my EA82 L-Series too today, have even had it licenced a week and got 2k for it!
Now I can work on this one :D

Doug it has the standard PT 4WD gearbox, seems to get the power down well but I find that it revs out pretty quick in most gears due to the standard L-Series ratios being quite low. In comparison to newer Subaru's anyhow. When I get it licenced I'll take you for a spin, I head over that side of town every now and again.
Certainly has a heap of go but isn't enough to be lightening fast or dangerous like a turbo.
Mate, way to make a killer deal! 2k for the old girl!

Should stick a full time in there, or maybe an early liberty box. Paul probably has a spare stacked up somewhere :cool:. Sounds like a beast none the less.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am

taza wrote:Thanks Guys. I sold my EA82 L-Series too today, have even had it licenced a week and got 2k for it!
Clearly spending too much time around KPM inc.
Subydoug wrote:Should stick a full time in there, or maybe an early liberty box. Paul probably has a spare stacked up somewhere
Might have 1 or 2 lying around but I prefer the PT4WD box and convert to EJ D/R front housings, then everything looks stock.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”