Subaru L series suspension

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 pm

nairobery wrote:Let me look for Toonga see if he can help me out with that. Thanks El freddo n i will be needing your experience very soon on the Ej conversion,just saving up to buy an ej engine,they aint cheap over here. Have a good one.
No worries mate, I'll look forward to it! And it's your thread, do what you like with it - in this case you might hamper your responses, but for those that have notifications enabled will get an email of an update, where as a new thread will not until they've either posted or subscribed to it ;)

Do you have the EJ dual range gearbox over there? You can use the front cases to house the EA82 stock gearbox in - this makes the gearbox a direct bolt on to the EJ engine, it will still bolt to your gearbox crossmember etc without any issues and you can use the factory EJ clutch setup! This is what I've done with my conversion ;)

Talk more about it later.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am

Haymaker wrote:Hi Nairobey, I dont know what pictures everybody else are looking at but the one you posted of the engine number and engine stamp definetly says EA71. It's also interesting how the tailgate of your L series has a 1.6 DL sticker on it. Looks like everything else is standard L series.
Yes, it is an EA71 L Touring Wagon; the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Got the 1.6L (EA71) Engine as the "Standard" engine for DL Wagons, and the 1.3L Engine (EA65) as the "Standard" for DL Sedans; other world's markets such as JDM got the same specs, also Asia and Africa, as far as I know... So that is Not an "Old" engine, but can be considered as "Older Design", it was in production 'till 1994 for the Late DL Sedans sold in Latin America / Asia.

The LADM Market still has Dual Range Transmissions available, and got Carburated + Disty EJ engines up 'till '94.

Also there is a "Maia FF" and a "Maia II" Versions of those Subarus, the Luxury Maia GT got an EFi EA71 and Rear Wiper in the Sedan model.

Please see the Badges on the Sides of these Subarus:

steptoe wrote:... I am yet to decipher the difference between DL/GL is - further up the alphabet the better ? L for Leone or Luxury ?? ...
DL = Basic Model, Manual Windows, Locks, No Power Steering, the A/C is Optional.

GL = Luxury Model, means Power Everything, Power Windows, Locks, Steering...

The "L" is for Large, Subaru used to Name their models after the Letter that describes their Size; so "L" was first used for the "Leone", which was their Largest model back then; Also was Used in the "Loyale"
(EA82) which became the Largest model, then it was used on the "Legacy" / "Liberty" ... After those, subaru has Newer Larger Models with Newer Nomenclature. :)

Beside the Smaller displacement engine, suspension is Equal for the Normal (Non-Air-Ride -Pneumatic-) L Wagons.

I'm Glad that you Found useful information on my Suspension Writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... n-loyales/

But Keep in Mind that as Steptoe wrote: "if you get a rear shock of different measures and fit up your current spring it may be either too tight or too loose" he is Right.

I Wrote that writeup in giving ideas in order to gain Better Capability for a Fully Loaded + 5 People on a "L" Wagon during Offroad travels, so the Suspension will become Stiff with such parts, I Wrote enough Warnings about that on said Writeup.

Kind Regards.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am

Loyale 2.7 Turbo wrote:"L" was first used for the "Leone", which was their Largest model back then; Also was Used in the "Loyale" (EA82) which became the Largest model, then it was used on the "Legacy" / "Liberty" ... After those, subaru has Newer Larger Models with Newer Nomenclature. :)
Never noticed that lol...Leone, Loyale, Legacy, Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Love those white "rally" rims!

Thanks for sharing the info. Tiny engines!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 am

You're Welcome! :D

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:38 am

Loyale 2.7 Turbo wrote:Yes, it is an EA71 L Touring Wagon; the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Got the 1.6L (EA71) Engine as the "Standard" engine for DL Wagons, and the 1.3L Engine (EA65) as the "Standard" for DL Sedans; other world's markets such as JDM got the same specs, also Asia and Africa, as far as I know... So that is Not an "Old" engine, but can be considered as "Older Design", it was in production 'till 1994 for the Late DL Sedans sold in Latin America / Asia.

The LADM Market still has Dual Range Transmissions available, and got Carburated + Disty EJ engines up 'till '94.

Also there is a "Maia FF" and a "Maia II" Versions of those Subarus, the Luxury Maia GT got an EFi EA71 and Rear Wiper in the Sedan model.

Please see the Badges on the Sides of these Subarus:

DL = Basic Model, Manual Windows, Locks, No Power Steering, the A/C is Optional.

GL = Luxury Model, means Power Everything, Power Windows, Locks, Steering...

The "L" is for Large, Subaru used to Name their models after the Letter that describes their Size; so "L" was first used for the "Leone", which was their Largest model back then; Also was Used in the "Loyale"
(EA82) which became the Largest model, then it was used on the "Legacy" / "Liberty" ... After those, subaru has Newer Larger Models with Newer Nomenclature. :)

Beside the Smaller displacement engine, suspension is Equal for the Normal (Non-Air-Ride -Pneumatic-) L Wagons.

I'm Glad that you Found useful information on my Suspension Writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... n-loyales/

But Keep in Mind that as Steptoe wrote: "if you get a rear shock of different measures and fit up your current spring it may be either too tight or too loose" he is Right.

I Wrote that writeup in giving ideas in order to gain Better Capability for a Fully Loaded + 5 People on a "L" Wagon during Offroad travels, so the Suspension will become Stiff with such parts, I Wrote enough Warnings about that on said Writeup.

Kind Regards.

Hi Loyale 2.7 Turbo, thanks man for the suspension write up, it really helped me a lot, as i couldnt find any other information online on the right shocks for my car,so am realy grateful. Also for the EA71 information that was cleared up a lot of questions.

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 am

El_Freddo wrote:No worries mate, I'll look forward to it! And it's your thread, do what you like with it - in this case you might hamper your responses, but for those that have notifications enabled will get an email of an update, where as a new thread will not until they've either posted or subscribed to it ;)

Do you have the EJ dual range gearbox over there? You can use the front cases to house the EA82 stock gearbox in - this makes the gearbox a direct bolt on to the EJ engine, it will still bolt to your gearbox crossmember etc without any issues and you can use the factory EJ clutch setup! This is what I've done with my conversion ;)

Talk more about it later.

Cheers

Bennie
I think there should be ej dual range gearboxes as i have seen a few subaru with them, i just have to look a bit harder. I have seen other write ups on the conversion where they use the adapter plate, is the front case of the ej dual range serving the same purpose as the adapter plate. By the way i dont think my EA gearbox is dual range as the gear nob has the 4wd button.

Is the ej22 a better engine compared to the ej20's, as i am beginning my search i really need to know what to look for.

Cheers.

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:39 am

The Main Difference between EJ20 and EJ22 is Engine's Displacement, and thus mean more power output... and fuel consumption; that's it.

nairobery wrote:Hi Loyale 2.7 Turbo, thanks man for the suspension write up, it really helped me a lot, as i couldnt find any other information online on the right shocks for my car,so am realy grateful. Also for the EA71 information that was cleared up a lot of questions.
You're Welcome!

Kind Regards.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:58 am

I believe the EJ22 is also a non-interference engine, like the EA's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:35 am

NachaLuva wrote:I believe the EJ22 is also a non-interference engine, like the EA's
That statement is Valid for early EJ22's untill 1997

The "Newer" EJ22 and up became interference engines,

at least for the USDM and LADM specs.

Kind Regards.

Return to “Subaru Chat”