3 child restraints in 01' Outback

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
mcjw

3 child restraints in 01' Outback

Post by mcjw » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 am

Hi all,
As the title suggests, just wondering if there are any people who have successfully fitted 3 seats across the back, we will need 2 boosters and one normal car seat for newborn.
I have searched a bit on google and such but most of the cars people have fitted them to seem to be newer models which I'm unsure if they're wider than my 01' model.
The brand that seems to have the narrower booster seat (with 5 point harness !) is Safe n Sound, however they are very expensive!
So what combination of seats can I use?

Hope someone can help!
Cheers!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:53 pm

i had an outback same as yours, although i never fitted more than 1 seat, i did note there are three anchor points in the roof of the car and i cant see too much difficulty in fitting three baby seats across the back seat.

sounds like its time for a landcruiser haha!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

+1 for what Alex has said about the anchor points. You'll find 3 round plastic trim pieces right on the trim that is near the top of the rear door seal. You may need some spacers to stop the trim pulling in but the child restraint anchor bolt kits should have all these bits in it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

mcjw

Post by mcjw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:48 am

Alex wrote:i had an outback same as yours, although i never fitted more than 1 seat, i did note there are three anchor points in the roof of the car and i cant see too much difficulty in fitting three baby seats across the back seat.

sounds like its time for a landcruiser haha!

alex
lol trying to avoid a new car!!
We have had the car for 2 years and have both our kids, one on each side, but due to kids having to be in a booster up to 8 yrs old we need to accommodate this and we have a new bub due n Feb. With the booster we have for our 5 yr old there is NO WAY of fitting another seat in between the two seats already installed :???:
Looks like its off to the baby shop to see what seats will fit!
Cheers guys!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Good to see someone taking the safety of their kids so seriously. Everyday I see young kids in front seats with airbags or in rear seats with no boosters or even no seatbelts!

I just think poor kids (in amongst mutterings about the parents, grrrr!) cos you know its not just the safety they're lacking in :evil:

Anyway, good luck, hope you find something ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

mcjw

Post by mcjw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:02 am

NachaLuva wrote:Good to see someone taking the safety of their kids so seriously. Everyday I see young kids in front seats with airbags or in rear seats with no boosters or even no seatbelts!

I just think poor kids (in amongst mutterings about the parents, grrrr!) cos you know its not just the safety they're lacking in :evil:

Anyway, good luck, hope you find something ;)
Thank you!
And yes it is amazing how many people just don't think. I recently saw a post on Facebook about potentially bringing in laws to have children up to a certain height (i think 145cm- don't quote me!) or age of 12 whichever come first in a restrain such as a booster. The amount of people that kicked up a stink! Children's bones are still growing and are much more fragile than an adults, its not something that should be taken lightly!
I'm pretty sure a lot of European countries already have this law in place - same with rearward facing up to about 4 yrs old!

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:52 am

WA has those laws.

Up to 4 must be in a proper child restraint seat.
4-7 must be in a booster seat. If using just a lap belt then the booster seat must have its own harness.
No kids under 7 in the front seat (regardless of whether it has airbags or not) unless all the rear seats are full of kids under 7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”