The "I wants" thread

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:51 pm

pezimm wrote:Looks good! Not too keen on the bulbar, though.
It is removable... Just saying!

The ACT's a *long* day trip :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: The "I wants" thread

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Thought I’d revive this thread with a few bits. I’ve done pretty well with getting what I want with Ruby Scoo so far.

And as for that touring wagon in the first post, the guy offered it to me for $300 or something but I turned it down as I’d just got the brumby. Spewing I could take it on - and I swear I saw it in one of the pick a part style yards. The thing was full grandma spec - so clean. I almost cried!! Actually I did on the inside!

My current wants:
- an operational engine for my RS so I can get it on club plates and start enjoying it rather than just looking at it!

- sort the small niggling rust issues in the brumby. Nothing serious, just annoying. Then respray it the same colour as the new XV red ;)

For Ruby Scoo it’s rebuilding the OBX front LSD - try making it tighter (you could/should put time into tidying these up right out of the factory. The kit is about $35 from the states and apparently is pretty simple to do), changing my fifth ratio from the current 0.87 to an 0.83 or 0.81 if either of those are available (I need to do my research). The original 0.78 is too low for what I want and I reckon the EJ22 won’t do so well when on tour while commuting. 5 stud conversion. Just need time!

Oh, and a new to me tradies roof rack would be sweet too.

Cheers

Bennie

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm
Thought I’d revive this thread with a few bits. I’ve done pretty well with getting what I want with Ruby Scoo so far.

And as for that touring wagon in the first post, the guy offered it to me for $300 or something but I turned it down as I’d just got the brumby. Spewing I could take it on - and I swear I saw it in one of the pick a part style yards. The thing was full grandma spec - so clean. I almost cried!! Actually I did on the inside!

My current wants:
- an operational engine for my RS so I can get it on club plates and start enjoying it rather than just looking at it!

- sort the small niggling rust issues in the brumby. Nothing serious, just annoying. Then respray it the same colour as the new XV red ;)

For Ruby Scoo it’s rebuilding the OBX front LSD - try making it tighter (you could/should put time into tidying these up right out of the factory. The kit is about $35 from the states and apparently is pretty simple to do), changing my fifth ratio from the current 0.87 to an 0.83 or 0.81 if either of those are available (I need to do my research). The original 0.78 is too low for what I want and I reckon the EJ22 won’t do so well when on tour while commuting. 5 stud conversion. Just need time!

Oh, and a new to me tradies roof rack would be sweet too.

Cheers

Bennie
Operational engine? As in for RS turbo?
if so, I know where there's an engine from an imported 93 WRX.
Hasn't been run in almost 10 years I'm guessing though, but sitting in a storage shed unused.

I'm trying to find a few import parts for my touring wagon. cover for a motorised under bumper fog light, rubber cushion for over bumper style fog light.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:48 am

wagonist wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 pm
Operational engine? As in for RS turbo?
if so, I know where there's an engine from an imported 93 WRX.
Hasn't been run in almost 10 years I'm guessing though, but sitting in a storage shed unused.
Yes, for an RS turbo. If I took on that engine it want to be very cheap and very close to me. I’ve got several engines that I’m trying to piece a good engine from - the issue is a current lack of shed time and we’re about to move house, once we secure our next rental...
wagonist wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 pm
I'm trying to find a few import parts for my touring wagon. cover for a motorised under bumper fog light, rubber cushion for over bumper style fog light.
Hmmm... those parts should be “fun” to source. I hope you find them without too much effort or wallet damage ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:47 am

Benny, you’ve only just moved!?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah mate, we’re pretty much three rentals for three years now!

That’s what happens when you have to move for work, then finally settle, then your pita landlord decides to sell rather than negotiate a few things!

We’ve just found a place on a nice quiet back street. Now to start the packing procedure and move our crap. Hopefully we’ll down size some stuff too (not my shed gear - I’ve got three projects on the go with us :/ )

Tradies rack is now ticked off the list and is on the “to mod” list. I’ll have to drop a pic of it in here later. It’s huge and heavy, so I’ll be putting it on a “diet” :P

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 am

Ah well, a nice quiet back street sounds good for car tinkerings!

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Interested to see the roof rack Bennie.
I'm keen to sort something bigger out for mine. I have a Rolla one at the moment, which looks great, but I'd like something longer and possibly the "flat" type. I am concerned with weight though - the Rolla one is steel and already pretty damn heavy. Keen to try and figure something out Aluminium in construction. Have to wait for more funds though as I think I'll need to spend some dollars to get something decent looking. I could make something out of a flyscreen door that would be functional, but I do want it to look good too :)

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 am

I just want to have a Subaru again. I've been driving a civic since moving to Canada in '15. A perfectly serviceable car but after last winter with the snow we had I really would like an Outback again or a Crosstrek.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 pm

AndrewT wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 pm
Interested to see the roof rack Bennie.
Here's the one I've just picked up - unmodified as of yet:

Here's the best pic of my current one - with a light load (this is the one I ran on the WA trip a few years back):

Thalass wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 am
I just want to have a Subaru again. I've been driving a civic since moving to Canada in '15. A perfectly serviceable car but after last winter with the snow we had I really would like an Outback again or a Crosstrek.
Canada sounds good Thalass! The rest sucks :( I hope you get there with a new to you subaru in the line up again!

Cheers

Bennie

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks mate! Actually I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2010 outback! Came here looking for the manual. Not 100% on the model but it's a 2.5 with 6 speed manual (manual is rare up here) and surprisingly rust free. It's close to 200,000km so I'll have to take care of that check.
The only odd thing is it has the electric hand brake. Surely it has a hill holder to go with it, because otherwise I'm not sure how that's gonna work.

But now I'm gonna want a lift kit...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Lift kit is easy to sort. PM Nachaluva or find his page on the bookface - Subi Lift Oz ;)

He’ll have a lift kit for your outback!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”