leaky water pump on ej22

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
cheffy

leaky water pump on ej22

Post by cheffy » Sat May 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi Guys
My ej22 is dripping coolant from the back of the water pump where it's mounted to the engine block, are they easy to change and if so does anyone have any tips on doing the job,any help greatly appreciated
Regards Cheffy.

Brad

ok

Post by Brad » Sat May 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Yep they are easy to change. You need to pull your front covers off, cam belt off and then water pump. Wack in a new one, reset the tensioner and put the belt back on. Only two cams on the EJ 22 so it is pretty easy to line it all up. Then put covers and belts back on.

In a VW it takes about 30 mins in a Subaru it takes more like an hr

tassyraider

Post by tassyraider » Sun May 28, 2006 5:31 pm

hi never changed one but soon. read a workshop manual as i was talking to a punter with ej20t he changed belt somthing hapend and the valves clashed the best book is haynes. the the book will tell you get timing rite top dead then another movment to a set of marks on fly wheel ask a mechanic to check on this theory cheerz mick :twisted:

tassyraider

Post by tassyraider » Sun May 28, 2006 5:39 pm

also go to this site http://www.extreme-machines.nl/media/go to manuals its all impreza gear but same principal download engine sector 17meg i found it on wrx.com.au cheerz mick :twisted:

cheffy

Post by cheffy » Sun May 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Thanks guys
I changed the timing belt not long ago,it may not be hard for some but I found it a tedious job,just a shame that I have to go over that again to do the pump.Was hoping there might have been a way around it.The ej22 dosen't have the valve problem as the quad cam motor does, I know that because when I did the cam the belt it slipped one cog installing it and after reasembling the motor and starting it and running like a pig I had to pull it all off and reinstall.I've got the motor in a Brumby so I'm a little crammed for work space in the front end,BUT GOES LIKE A ROCKIT!!
CHEERS CHEFFY

Return to “Subaru Chat”