subaru lseries worth it.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Ben james

subaru lseries worth it.

Post by Ben james » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:14 pm

hi every one got a few question sorry if sum are stupid. well last week I went with a mate up sum tracks sum were around gembrook. nothing to bad. my mate was in his hilux and I was in the subie. any way every time we got to a flood way my Subaru would barely make it over with out scraping the hell out of the underneath of the car. had to get my exhaust welded becoz of it. so I was thinking maby its time for a bigger 4wd. but I really do love the L series. so my 1st question is, can I fit 14 0r 15 inch wheels with medium mud tires with out the lift kit and maybe just the 1inch spacers. to get more clearance. as iv looked at body lift but have no clue what im doing to install it. and havnt got the funds to get mechanic to fit it. 2 question is that I think I might be in for a new engine as its leaking way to much oil now. and found sum oil in carby housing. called mechanic and he said its most likely the rings. dose any one no were I could get a cheap low k.s EA82 engine from. any help would me much appreciated. would love to keep the beast. would be nice if it was just higher off the ground. apart from that I think thay are a tuff car and love the look I get when I take it places you just wouldn't think you could get in a little car with no ground clearance.

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 am

nobody riding to your rescue here ?
Let me be straight with you. What you have here is a reality gap. Maybe you are young and excited. Here's a few thoughts from me anyway.

- With little money or mech skill you're going to have to get more of one or the other if you want work done.(or have generous mates). Get a Gregory's Workshop Manual at least.

- don't thrash it in the bush if it needs fixing. It will cost you in damage and money (which you have little of). Example the exhaust and more oil leaking already. Didn't I already say that about "revving the shit out of it" ?

- have you priced big tyres ? Not a cheap thing.

- Take it to a mechanic for a proper look at the oil leaks.

- The L series comes with a built-in ability to be raised a bit. Check yours is set high and not low. Could make a difference.

- I'm not (only ; ) talking through my arse. My 29yr old L wagon with 438,000 km just sailed straight through the NSW 'blue slip' new rego check.

- Please put gaps in the text somewhere to make it easier to read.
1985 L Wagon DL. Carb. EA82. Stock.

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 pm

thanks for your reply Esubie.

no one is keen on replying to my thread. but yes I am young and when it comes to the Subaru I have no clue what im doing or talking about lol.

iv only ever owned my fords. and do most of the work my salf to save money. but I love camping and want to get into a little 4wding.

witch is why I brought the Lseries. I only payed 700$ for it and another 400$ for RWC. so I cant really expect there not to be problems with it.

im happy with the car just want that little bit more ground clearance.

and the 14inch wheels with bigger tyres. tyres are not to much of a problem as i have a mate that works at a tyre store and can get tyres cheap.

but i cant find bigger rims any were. tried to find 14 inch pug rims but still no go. and have been told that 14 or 15 inch wheels wont fit with out at lest a 2inch lift. so i guess there is no cheap way around it.

all so when i brought the car the guy told me that it hasn't got the adjustable suspension. witch i thought most Lseries had. but i guess not.

no matter thinking on buying the Suzuki vitara as iv been told there easy to lift cheaper and parts are easy to get. might just wreck or sell the subie as farm car.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 am

........................................... OK, mechanic was right
.............................................^^
"most likely rings" - blow smock ? >> NO , of course not, it is a Subaru
That oil in carby or air box comes from PCV hoses and may be from stuck rings causing blow by from combustion chamber into PCV system - a catch can in betweeen PCV hoses and air system can determine that.He would not be first mechanic to say that, fix it with new rings and empty your wallet to find, still blows smoke

Oil leaking from air box all over engine will look bad. Give it a proper degrease, under and over, when clean, pull the side front timing belt covers off to inspect the timing belts make sure dry for starters

$50 catch can, $2.25 degreaser and $2 in car wash pressure washer = 30 mins mechanics paid time
member since 10january2014 #6191

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 am

An L series is not a 4wd in the traditional sense.

It is a front wheel drive passenger car with 4wd ability.

A body and suspension lift and a rear lsd diff makes the vehicle a bit more versatile, but it will still be a passenger car first and a 4wd second.

Does a passenger car with 4wd ability meet your needs?

How many km's is your L showing on the dodometer?

Not trying to put you off the L series, i love mine and am close to putting a gasket set through my ea82 engine while i continue work on my ej22 upgrade.

Have a read around the sites for a while, plenty of info here at ausubaru, couple of other sites off the top of my head offroadingsubarus.com, ultimatesubaru.org
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild.
Currently rebuilding EA82.

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

thanks guyz. my Subaru has 202500. km.s on clock.

and I don't mind that its FW drive. as I like to only use 4WD when im stuck. and I find that the 4WD low range is really tuff for hill claiming.

im really only going camping and a little 4WDing nothing to extreme.

so I would like to keep the Lseries but really would like the 14 or 15 inch sunni or pug 505 wheels for a little more ground clearance. but don't no if thay will fit with out lift kit.

the oil in carby hasn't happened since iv cleaned it. and iv drivin from Philips island to Rowville 3 times since its happened. so im hopping it might just of been a once off thing. but might look into that catch can.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Settle down a bit about the speed of reply. This is a forum, not FB or Twatter :p

You can fit 14 rims without a lift kit, but you'll have to fit smaller tyres, so completely defeats the purpose.

Only the 85-87 4wd wagons came with height adjustable suspension, and then only genuine from Subaru. After 25 years, not really going to be available anymore so most will have fixed height suspension now.

The lift kit isn't that hard to fit. If you don't have much mechanical knowledge, grab a basic tool set, head down to your local wrecker that allows you pull parts off yourself, and simply start doing that to know what's where.
You don't have to buy anything, and you can stuff up and stuff around without wrecking your own car.
I've worked out engine, gearbox & brake conversions inside a wrecking yard ;)

You can fit just the blocks on top of the struts/shocks, but be warned that the Subaru front driveshaft CV joints are close to the limit of the angle allowed in standard form. Putting just those blocks on increases this angle, and hence the chance of damage to them & shortening their life.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Okay, I'll chime in.
If you want to go offroad, get a lift kit. Better approach, departure & ramp-over angles. Better visibility and bigger tyres will fit, which improves everything (except performance). I like 27x8.5R14
Settlement Creek Racing

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 pm

ok lift kit it is. with lift kit can I get 2inch lift springs and shocks.

or can you only get the blocks. and will pug 505 wheels fit. as I called pug wreckers and thay said thay wont fit.

iv got all the tools I need for the job air compressor rattle gun air gun ect. its just the knowledge I lack. but I love to try things my salf. so I might go to pick a part and see if I cant find my salf an Lseries to muck around on 1st.

when it comes to under the hood of the Lseries. its all the piping tubing every were its a bit confusing on what goes were and why lol. its a lot different from the falcon.

tho if got the service manual so I should stop being lazy and do sum reading on the car.

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 pm

so far iv sanded back the car and painted it in satin black. all so mounted sum bull bar lights and roof rack lights.

got the rear muffler taken out tho its a bit to loud but sounds better than when all I could here was engine witch sounds horrible.

so its looking the part. just needs that lift. and iv really got to get onto fixing the oil leaks as its making a mess.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:04 am

[quote="Ben james"]

Pug fanciers are a bit like that - mention you want to use a pug bit on another breed. I have 505 GTi or 55 GTD mags on mine with repro nuts. One nut if you can get from genuine Pug supplier about 22 bucks each - nice quality steel made and chromed in France !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13 pm

The L is totally worth it!

Learn how to drive it properly and you'll show up many "big/real 4wds".

Carry heavy loads? No, but that's part of the fun where you really have to think about the gear you're carrying!

Cheers

Bennie

(sorry, out of time to post more!)
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”