Turbo Brumby Rego

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Insane

Turbo Brumby Rego

Post by Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Sorry if this subject has been brought up before a search came up with nothing... I am wondering if Brumbys were ever released in this country with a turbo? In QLD you can register a car with engine mods without an engineer cert so long as the rest of the car is brought to the same spec as the original car that came with that motor. Eg. a VH comodore can have a 253 or 308 as long as it has rear discs and heavy tailshaft, even if was originally a 4cyl starfire motor without any more than a normal roadworthy.

Even if only a few were ever sold it makes it legal with an EA82T. Anyone registered a EA turbo in qld?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm

- don't some workshops possess mod plate dispensing authority ? Subybrumby was a Toowoomba based EA82T Brumby. I've been in QLD registered EJ20 turbo Brumby - had a mod plate of some sort.

Brumbys were sold in US or Japan as EA81T, not EA82T. Honduras got EA82 MY models.

Pretty silly how each state of Oz follows their own guidelines .rules - when we have ADRs in place.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Insane wrote:I am wondering if Brumbys were ever released in this country with a turbo?
The answer to that question is no.
But, according to my mate who does mod plating, you can legally upgrade to a 2.0 litre turbo in a Brumby, so long as nothing
structural is changed, ie, no cutting of chassis rails if fitting an EJ motor.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 am

"Brumbys were sold in US or Japan as EA81T"

I believe only the US had the Turbo Brumby/BRAT. The Brumby body shape was not sold in Japan, it was for export only.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 am

OK, quote my BS then :oops: , must have read it in here :)

So, going off thread a bit, what came out in Japan with EA81T to provide our small supply of EA81T engines and cross members ?
Back on topic - wouldn't you like to think that once a Brumby has been engineered as EA82T with or without the 5 speed, with or without the L disc rear that it would create a precedent opening the gates for anyone to do the same in any state or territory of Australia ?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Over in WA they aren't worried if it's turbo. They just want to know if that engine type came out in that model car. So any EA motor can be used without permit but EJ must be permitted.

EA81 turbo was not released in Aus unless imported later as a personal import. I have 2 EA81 turbo cars that were both imported when WA allowed import cars in. Rules quickly changed when people started importing 80 series Landcruisers for 1/2 the price they were getting sold for here. The WA licence dept clamped down on the import vehicles.

I'm 99% sure there needs to be some change to the chassis rail of a Brumby to fit an EA82 engine
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Paul.Paul.Paul...a std high MY takes the EA82 easy thought that issue was resoled

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

You really need to talk to an engineer in your state to get your answer. The internet is full of here-say in regards to engineering/modplating. And it even depends on the engineer...
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

steptoe wrote:Paul.Paul.Paul...a std high MY takes the EA82 easy thought that issue was resoled
I know you sent me the pics but I've got a MY series with an EA82 in it too and it would touch the rails if they had not been massaged a little.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm

after market rocker cover gaskets ? Bit thicker would make my rocker hit almost on the left :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

I think it was more the timing belt cover but yes the cam box cover does get close also.

And yes BOOsting makes a good point. I can only say what happens over here in the west. The DPI website should show you a list of the engineers in your area.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Proton mouse wrote:The answer to that question is no.
But, according to my mate who does mod plating, you can legally upgrade to a 2.0 litre turbo in a Brumby, so long as nothing
structural is changed, ie, no cutting of chassis rails if fitting an EJ motor.
But you have to cut the chassis rails to fit a 2.0 turbo -they are quad cam and I don't believe there is any way around this.

I wonder if it could be argued that its not really structural - its in front of all the suspension and steering components - that part of the car is just to house the radiator and front bumper really, nothing mechanical. If you look at one thats been done well, its really quite a minor mod.

Really need to talk to someone local to find out what is applicable to you specifically...but its definitely been done legally many times all over Aus so can't be too hard to sort the paperwork one way or another.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:57 am

AndrewT wrote:But you have to cut the chassis rails to fit a 2.0 turbo -they are quad cam and I don't believe there is any way around this.
I've toyed with the idea of sohc on a turbo in a Brumby. But you've still got to cut the engine crossmember for the up pipe.

The small drop in performance of the sohc heads on a turbo block I wouldn't care about - easier than engineering a chassis rail mod.
AndrewT wrote:I wonder if it could be argued that its not really structural - its in front of all the suspension and steering components - that part of the car is just to house the radiator and front bumper really, nothing mechanical. If you look at one thats been done well, its really quite a minor mod.
Yeah true, it seldom passes on that argument. And if its been done once, doesn't mean it's been done a second time the same or with the same quality of work.
AndrewT wrote:Really need to talk to someone local to find out what is applicable to you specifically...but its definitely been done legally many times all over Aus so can't be too hard to sort the paperwork one way or another.
Too right, contact your local engineer before you do anything! They'll want to see the progress as you go too. Many will turn away a completed conversion in Vic.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

So have the rules changed yet for say putting and EJ20 turbo in a RX Leone in NSW?

Does the 20% capacity rule still apply or is it now 20% increase in power?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 am

It is a while since I spoke to the tech enquiries fellas , but what they were saying it is all up to the engineer , and they will accept so long as that engineer is a currently accepted signatory for NSW, unless you apply for consideration under the last line of rule 302 to be accepted by an engineer not on their list, but possibly from another state. Rule 302 is a federal rule adopted by at least NSW.

It must be at least twelve months or more since the system was changed to allow AUVIS blue slip inspectors to apply to do same as engineer - inspect a vehicles mods and produce a certificate of some sort. Would take a pretty cluey AUVIS mechanic to undertake such a mission to get that elevated status.

So, maybe 1300 137 302 guys will have a list of AUVIS inspectors that have taken up on that scheme as well as a list of engineers ??

It was and still is confusing.... used to state with the 15% rule if you were using engine from one thing to another its brakes and suspension must go with it

The STi Brumby I have been in ran standard brakes at the wheels ...tyres and rims to match the sheepskin exterior.

The tidiest EJ20G auto I have seen with nsw approval had the x bread brake mods, and don't believe I saw chassis rail cuts , but give the level of perfection that Brumby got the chassis mods must have been done so as not to draw any attention.....

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:52 am

I was kinda hoping I could take my EJ20G and crosbread 5 stud converted RX to get a blueslip and thats it.

Are you saying this is unlikely?
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 pm

and state that as it is a factory turbo vehicle, just increased capacity and beefed up the brakes, suspension to suit..... can always try , must be some ambiguity in them rules...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 pm

That was my intention

I know the guy that does the blue slips has passed a VW 1400 beetle with Falcon brakes

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 am

El_Freddo wrote:I've toyed with the idea of sohc on a turbo in a Brumby. But you've still got to cut the engine crossmember for the up pipe.

The small drop in performance of the sohc heads on a turbo block I wouldn't care about - easier than engineering a chassis rail mod.
M.Y. Series was available in turbo, so there are crossmembers available without cutting one.

IMO the SOHC turbo is much better for 4WDing as the torque is better at lower rpm. Just doesn't have top end speed but we're not really needing to do more than 110kph anyway.
Gannon wrote:I was kinda hoping I could take my EJ20G and crosbread 5 stud converted RX to get a blueslip and thats it.

Are you saying this is unlikely?
I could only say in WA you would only need a permit for any modification within the guidelines but not sure over your way. What would it cost to have an engineer over your way approve your changes?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”