Subaru Brumby Battery

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Subaru Brumby Battery

Post by Gazza01 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I had a 370CCA Battery in my Brumby for some time and found on occasions it seemed to lack to power to turn the starter unless it was fully charged. I checked the alternator and starter and they were Ok. So I went on the RACQ Battery Finder site and checked for the correct Battery for a Subaru Brumby. Well the RACQ recommend either a 500CCA with 50 Amp hrs for $195.00 or a slightly more expensive one a 550CCA with 55 Amp Hrs for $200.00. Not being flushed with cash I went to the wrecking yard with my altameter and found two 500CCA batteries with purchase dates marked on them. One was 6 mths old and the other 9 mths. Checked both out with the meter. One was real low 6.10 and the other down to about 9.20 both had been connected up in the vehs resulting in drained batteries. $40.00 each. Took them home put them on charger for couple of days. Both came up to about 13.80 and after a few days off charger dropped back to the normal setting of 12.75 and 12.60. So put one in the Brumby and BOBS YA UNCLE. You just got to make sure they have a purchase date marked on them other wise u end up with a battery thats old and nearly at its use bay date. Get right CCA's.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:55 pm

The other option is to go with a new battery purchased from a store. I've used the supercharge brand of battery for about $120ish, can be had on sale for $99 from time to time. I'm going for one of these when on sale again for my next battery, the old one doesn't hold it's charge for any longer than three days max.

Also unusual for a yard to leave batteries in the car these days IMO. There's money to be had by collecting them up. I know pick a part in Vic test batteries and put the decent ones up for sale for about the same price...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm

I know pick a part in Vic test batteries and put the decent ones up for sale for about the same price

That's where my Brumby battery came from :)
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12 pm

From experience- I do not talk batteries- every time I do- they die

I proudly told a mate that my battery was 10 years old and had never missed a beat- you guessed it !- it died

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 pm

Haha, I get free batteries from work... I'm now running a repco battery. Been in there 4 years and going strong!

Next will be a optima yellow top battery.

Return to “Subaru Chat”