6 Speed CVT Automatic Transmissions

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Subacat

6 Speed CVT Automatic Transmissions

Post by Subacat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Anyone had any experience with these new trannies? Are they any good? How do they compare to the 4 Speed Sports Automatic? Thanx in advance.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:56 am

Not directly - no, but I have looked up their specs for The XV-Ute project. My understanding from what I've read is they are good for most applications ... :)

An Underneath view :

So if you are looking to swap it into an older model you would need to couple it with a complete engine / computer package + steering wheel to make everything work correctly. I doubt it would work in older models without lots of mods, as they are much wider & may not fit in the 'tunnel' ... :(

But hey, if you willing to give it a go - do report back & tell us how it went ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Ive seen a 2004 Forester convertes to FB25 with 6 speed CVT from a wrecked 2013 Forester.

It runs but it's rough. All the panels don't line up for the gear shifter and cluster. Wiring is quite complex.
Go for it though, it'd be a good conversion!

Subacat

Post by Subacat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanx guys for responses. Great pic Bantum. Transplant would be a challenge. I am seeking input for a decision as to which auto would be better. Whether to buy 3-5 year old 2.5L Forester 4 speed auto or go the CVT auto. I read a motoring review saying the CVT has a little lag while the computer matches the drive to the engine revs. I understand the CVT has a chain drive too. Noise as they wear? Reminds me of old Bobcat CVT only they used a belt drive. Have Subaru made a blunder in not using the 5 speed auto from the S Edition or even update to a 6 speed like some competitors?

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 pm

From what I've read, Subaru's CVT is one of the good ones. The chain-drive ensures long lasting reliability (when compared to belt-drive).

I think Subaru's choice for a CVT over the traditional automatics comes from efficiency and emissions requirements. It's an inevitable evolutionary step going forward.

I drive a Forester turbo with the 4eat on it. I'm lucky to get the Prodrive transmission controller with VTD, which is miles ahead the MPT centre diff. I'm yet to drive a Subaru CVT, so my input is limited.

What are you transplanting the transmission into? Older bodies will not take newer stuff easily given that components such as engine blocks and transmission cases have grown over the years.

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Subacat

Post by Subacat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanx for that Pedro. I never intended to do a transplant. Looking for input from the brains trust while deciding to buy into an auto Forester. Love that car!

BBoypebs

Post by BBoypebs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 pm

I've got a outback with CVT. haven't done a great deal of off roading yet. But do far it has been great. But lacks the ability of engine braking on inclines and will run away. They do feel sluggish but are capable of doing 0- 100 in eight seconds .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Subaru Brumby (Currently being restored.:twisted: 84 brumby 2 inch Lift(very rough, Big tires)
Landrover series two. 186 holden banger under hood.

Subacat

Post by Subacat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:17 pm

BBoypebs wrote:I've got a outback with CVT. haven't done a great deal of off roading yet. But do far it has been great. But lacks the ability of engine braking on inclines and will run away. They do feel sluggish but are capable of doing 0- 100 in eight seconds .
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Subacat wrote:Thanx for that Pedro. I never intended to do a transplant. Looking for input from the brains trust while deciding to buy into an auto Forester. Love that car!
If I was to get a new Subaru, I would take the CVT over the MT. This is mainly for 2 reasons:

1) MTs have been simplified over recent years with the loss of dual range gearing. So if you intend to do any towing or off-roading, they are not as capable as they used to be

2) Subaru's CVT is reportedly one of the best ones out there. Strong response to throttle inputs (mainly due to chain drive) and fuel efficient. There's some clever electronics working in the back-ground: like X-Mode. This is setting for the traction control systems which assists in off-roading and it's only available in CVT transmissions.

Now, I would personally recommend going with the turbo petrol engine - which only comes mated with the CVT transmission. This is a great little unit and adds a whole lot of fun to any drive.

Hope this helps.
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Return to “Subaru Chat”