Club permits

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
liteon

Club permits

Post by liteon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:33 am

Hey fellas,

Can anyone recommend a good Subaru friendly car club that is approved for VIC club permits? I've looked at a few and they all seem a bit exclusive.

Alternatively, I am happy to do the paperwork to setup an incorporated association and get vicroads approval (I'm a tax agent so I love paperwork) if there is interest (need 4 other members minimum). Non profit, rwc required to register your car. Happy to make my little workshop club headquarters in Seaford VIC.

FYI in case you do not know, in VIC we have a club permit scheme for historic vehicles (>25 years) that allows you to drive up to 90 days a year (logbook) if you are a member of an approved association.

I can't justify paying full rego for a project car that only gets driven once a month. Might save a few old subies from becoming rust buckets or cubes if you can afford to enjoy them now and then.

Anyone interested?

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 am

Hey Liteon,

I heard from a friend of mine and I think he said that rexnet are approved for club permits (could be wrong), might have to try them.

Would it be possible for this site to get a club permit rego, probably make life a lot easier for a lot of people here :)

Good luck with the rego and let us know how you go

liteon

Post by liteon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am

Hey Johnny,

Had a look and couldn't see Rexnet on the list of approved clubs (plus it seems unlikely as all their cars are under 25 years old).

Vicroads won't approve a forum as a car club, we would need to incorporate an association. Personally I would start a new club and incorporate it (happy to affiliate it with ausubaru but best to keep things independent ).

There are some formalities such as general meetings, an annual report/fee, newsletter which I can take care of. There would be a nominal yearly fee (<$20)to cover incorporation costs. Have a few meetings/cruises a year (but not into forcing people to come). Start up costs are minimal, just a bit of time and paperwork that I am happy to do for free.

Happy to start the process if I get four other people in. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers
Chris

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm in like a bullet on this.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:07 am

Hmmm - If you could make it Australia wide I'd be interested ... :)

On a side note : Doesn't Shannon's offer a club membership of sorts ? ( not sure about that )

Cheers, Bantum ...

liteon

Post by liteon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 am

I think Shannon's do cheap insurance for club plates but don't do the club stuff themselves. I'll have a quick look though.

Regarding other states, the club schemes are all different and I am not familiar with them all. I'll have a look. We could make it work but would need a local to handle some of the state specific paperwork.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Totally in for this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Catergories ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks Chris,

Just an after thought - what categories are you planning ?
( Not that I'm getting ahead of where you're at ... )

I'm going on something like :
  • Vintage : 1920 - 1930's ( not too many of them around )
  • Heritage : 1940 -1950's ( 360's + FF-1 )
  • Classic : 1960 - 1970's ( Leone Series I )
  • Modern : 1980 - 1990's ( L series II & III + few others )
That last category would have to include Vortex ... :p

With most of my cars they would probably end up in Modern Category - Depending on how you broke them up I'd guess ... :)

Welcome to expand on this ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm in the process of setting up a club approved by vicroads. I have an incorporated association set up, just doing the vicroads paperwork. It is vic specific only, you can't do it for all the states really (afaik).

a rwc isn't actually compulsory, that's the reason i'm setting up a club, because i'm sick of elitist clubs taking large membership fees, annual fees and forcing you to go to a set number of events for the 'privilege' of club rego. however, a rwc will be asked for if there is any doubt of the legalities of a car in my mind or i may refer you to my mechanic for a free look over and he will give it a yes/no.

p.s yes shannons do cheap insurance for club rego cars, not sure on how much cheaper it is yet though.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

liteon

Post by liteon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:55 pm

@bantum, haven't thought about categories etc, any Subaru over 25 years old is good with me.

@boosting, yeah I saw the scrutineer check in lieu of rwc but though it would be too hard to make it work if we were all over Victoria and would just open up a big can of worms. I disagree with the fees/event turnout requirements etc of the big clubs but I don't think a once off rwc is too much to ask though.

Are you looking for members or trying to keep things small?

My brumby is a good 6 months off being finished, thought I would get the gears of bureaucracy turning so things are ready to go.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 pm

An inspection would be a must if no RWC. It will be kept small and primarily so people can get club rego cheaply. I have a close friend who is a very reputable mechanic and can check cars over if required. Yes I agree a RWC isn't too much to ask in most circumstances. Case by case basis.

A large consideration of mine is not letting idiots in, those people who think once they have club rego gives them the right to perform every illegal mod under the sun and get the club shut down (it's happened). I've modified cars illegally since I got my licence, but I would not issue rego to those cars it's just not worth it.

When I've worked through the process I'll post back.

Cheers.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “Subaru Chat”