Snorkle and wheel carrier

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Snorkle and wheel carrier

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm

does anyone know where in SE QLD to get a snorkle and wheel carrier fabricated and fitted to an L series and what sort of $$$ it would cost for each?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Snorkel - NJ-NK-NH Paj - look on ebay, about $120ish depending on the unit you go with.

You'll need a heat gun to bend the snorkel's elbow to fit the angle of the A pillar. You might need to trim the support bar forward of the strut tower for the inner guard plumbing - I didn't but a mate in the US that recently added a snorkel to his L had to trim it back.

From there the plumbing is all custom...

Rear bar - complete DIY - know a mate with a welder?? Trick is to keep it light yet strong to carry what you need ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 pm

well I work for an aluminium company I sort of was wondering whether something could be made out of ally to do it and be strong enough.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 am

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU wrote:well I work for an aluminium company I sort of was wondering whether something could be made out of ally to do it and be strong enough.
I don't see why not. There are alloy bars with spare wheel and jerry can holders out there.

I wouldn't mind an alloy one to cut down on weight!

Cheers

Bennie

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 am

Check this out for a rear wheel carrier http://www.sportsrange.com.au/4x4-acces ... -hitch.jpg can be found at http://www.sportsrange.com.au/index.php

Now I am looking at this option for my L Series Wagon, I already have a standard towbar so I will remove the tow ball which I never use, then I will have steel tube welded to my (Tow Tounge) and then slot the 50mm reece bar inside and lock it with a dual pin system.

Claims to fit any vehicle with a reece style hitch and DIY.

Listed as a 4 in one Rear step, Swing away wheel carrier, Jerry can holder and Tow bar, price quoted as $990.00

Speak to Matt on 08 9258 9002 at Welshpool as he will be happy to discuss your needs, mention the Subaru Forum as we might be able to get a better price if there is enough interest.

Cheers
WayneO....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am

I like the concept of this - but - you really want everything as close to the rear of the vehicle as possible to reduce the leverage effect that weight has on the rear suspension.

Plus if it hangs out the back you've just paid the best part of a grand to reduce your departure angle...

I'd still be keen to see one on an L series though!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”