need more power out of my Lseries wagon. EA82

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Ben james

need more power out of my Lseries wagon. EA82

Post by Ben james » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 pm

hi guyz i no i asked this question before
but im really wanting more power out of my wagon.
just want to see if any one else has sum knowledge on the situation.
im not wanting to make it a torbo skyline or sumthing tho that would be
nice. just want to no if there is any add on things i can do
for more power.

its a stock EA82 carbureted engine. dont mind spending
sum money. just cant afford an engin conversion
or turbo conversion. thanks to any one who has sum
info for me.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:06 pm

There is no magic solution. If you want more power track down a mpfi ea82. If you want modern car power, put an ej in it.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:09 pm

What is the carby like? If it has never been looked at or rebuilt then I'd start there straight away. Either get the old stock one rebuilt/re-jetted properly or throw it in the bin and get a Weber conversion. I converted my Brum to Weber power for about $600 all done and dusted and it was worth it, although another member on here swears by re-jetting the original carby to improve performance (for EA81's at least)

Do a tune up to make sure the ignition is all spot on and running properly, get a nicer flowing exhaust and run 98 RON fuel and you should notice a bit of a difference :)

There's not much else you can do to a stock carby motor without rebuilding it to custom specs, then you might as well fork out for a fuel injected or EJ as Doug suggests.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 pm

find one already fitted with an EJ - like a Liberty ! No chasing conversion bits and gratiating engineers. People been buying Libs so cheap for years now - the L's are all a bit past worth having IF you are after more power/speed/pulling power/class etc
member since 10january2014 #6191

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:17 pm

thought about buying a lib. but love the Lseries as it has
hi and low 4wd. insted of just awd. my carby seems ok as when i brought the car it had just
been rebuilt. but iv had it for all most 2 years now and
have not done spark plugs and leads and i think it needs
timing done. all so my step dad thinks its runing to rich. all so what is rejetting the carb
and how much would it cost for that to be done. sorry if
im asking a stupid question. im still learning about these cars. thanks guyz

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Subydoug wrote:There is no magic solution. If you want more power track down a mpfi ea82. If you want modern car power, put an ej in it.
Even then with both of these options if you're not careful in the engines you purchase you could still be up for a rebuild!

For both do your research - The MPFI conversion is almost the same amount of work in wiring as the EJ conversion. The EJ conversion just has the extra bits involved with what's done to mate to the gearbox and the exhaust/radiator setups.
Nubaru wrote:People been buying Libs so cheap for years now - the L's are all a bit past worth having IF you are after more power/speed/pulling power/class etc
Sorry, but the L series has LOADS of class. And now that you see less of them on the road your class status goes up due to your effort to keep them on the road :p

Ben, check the gaps of your spark plugs - don't go wasting money on new plugs unless there's no electrode left or if the insulators are cracked/shot.
If you've not done the basic tune up items do them first then come back if you're still not happy. Realistically if you're chasing power it's EJ time :twisted:

Then it won't stop there... My L series turned into a real beast after the EJ conversion, it was stock height when the conversion was done, now she looks like this:

I'm sure you'll get there - just do your research for which ever direction you choose to go.

The re-jetting, PM willyfisterbottom about it and download this.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Ben james

Post by Ben james » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:51 pm

cheers el. and i no what your talking about with the Lseries having class. every time i go out
in it i get looks and thumbs up. Even the old blokes comment and say how thay had one when thay
were yunger and love to see them still kicking around now.
i love my Lseries prity much every thing apart from the lack of
power.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 pm

If it's only power you're missing there's no reason why you can't find an engineer that will approve the conversion - then go ahead with the EJ conversion.

There's plenty of information around as to how to do it and what needs to be done. There shouldn't be any issue with an engineer certifying the conversion, it's just a case of what's been done and how much it will cost you for their signature - and when they can fit you in.

In the mean time look after the body - hardest part to replace IMO.

Cheers

Bennie

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:48 am

I got a 2 inch exhaust custom fitted to mine starting from the heads all the way to bum of the car with a high flow cat and I found noticeable power gains were had as well as gains in economy.

But also yes running 98 octane fuel and upping the timing a bit can yield good power gains as well. so far have found mine doesn't struggle all that much for me so far but mine has only done 180 000 kms. mine is also the 3 speed automatic which may work for me or against me in this department but it out performs my brothers manual sports wagon by a country mile but his has done 285 000 so mine has 100 000 less kms.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:08 am

curious to see a copy of elfreddos engineering certificate with private detail blacked out maybe ?

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm

I don't know what exactly is available for the EA82, but there is lots that can be done with an EA81. Heads with dual intake ports, larger ports, different camshaft, skim heads, twin carb setups, that sort of thing.
I don't know how expensive they are, but there are a few places that build powerful EA81s for aircraft.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 pm

powerful is at about 4200rpm, you want a torqueful EA82 in most cases. Mention been made of EJ20 non turbo pistons in EA engines make for a strong engine. Anyone got the dosh to do such a thing to an old EA81/2?

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

heads

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:13 am

I might be mistaken but aren't the EFI EA82s running duel port heads?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 am

Only on the intake side.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

pzs

Post by pzs » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 am

Where do you wish for more power in particular....soft sand, over taking?

I just had Ivan Tighe cams do a grind on a set of cams for $240...60/20 i think. Cheap and easy to do if your handy mechanically.

I am hoping to get more torque down low e.g. sand, I havn't fitted yet as I am waiting for my heads to be cleaned up, with new valve springs.

I'll post and let you know how it goes.

Also check fuel pump is putting out as it should, I recently replaced mine and it running better...not sure why as It didn't show signs of starving for fuel, but it runs better across the board.

Just keep advancing your distributor until it knocks on ron 98 and back off just until pinging goes away. forget about using a timing light on this, because it is a waste of time, go by feel.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 pm

JP147 wrote:I don't know what exactly is available for the EA82, but there is lots that can be done with an EA81. Heads with dual intake ports, larger ports, different camshaft, skim heads, twin carb setups, that sort of thing.
I don't know how expensive they are, but there are a few places that build powerful EA81s for aircraft.
The dual intake ports are only found in the aero gear. This stuff equals $$$$s!
Stock EA81S only has the dual port on the exhaust side, intake is the same as the standard EA81.

The dual port head on the ea82 MPFI is for the injector to service an individual cylinder.

Cheers

Bennie

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 pm

we need the forum owners to run a fund raising raffle with prize being an EJ20 pistoned EA81 and some rally cancer fund raiser event entrant to get the profits to pass on.
My effort was the idea ....next ???

Return to “Subaru Chat”