US-AUS Parts Exchange

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
RallyBlueSubaru

US-AUS Parts Exchange

Post by RallyBlueSubaru » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 am

Could a mod please move this to the appropriate section? I'm on my phone and somehow ended up posting this in here...

Hello all,
I live in Tennessee, in the U.S. and I have been reading things here for some time, but finally made an account.

Anyway, I'm curious if there are any vendors set up or individuals who are trading/selling parts from older Subarus and shipping them overseas. I've noticed in several threads I've come across where people is AU are wanting parts from vehicles specific to the US and that is the way it is for us as well. There are few Brats/Brumbys here in the states these days, but the few who have them want to do things to/with them and we don't have the resources you still have there. 95% of salvage yards have crushed Subarus if they are earlier than a 1990. We still have some though and there are still plenty of early 90's on the roads and in yards, but pre-90 is quite hard to come by and mostly stripped from long ago when you do.

So, do you guys need things from the US that I could try and source for you, or are there vendors doing such a thing already.

What are some things you can't get there that are US specific? Motors? Brakes? Hubs? Suspension? What?

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:07 am

Quad headlights and a grill for a Fugly would be nice :-)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 am

disc brake rears from the EA82 RX would be the most sought after - thanks for asking and signing up :)

Many of us have been able to source various bits via a US member here but that has fallen in a heap, with the member going quiet and seemingly withholding from the deal finalisation. Most unusual as he has been a reliable , friendly cyberpal for some years before. I have been waiting for over two years now and not seen my stuff - all paid for and all :( Can't even get a ransom note out of him.

So, if you were gonna do it, may need to establish contact with your wife or mum incase you suddenly dropped off the planet, just so they know what you are up to and can complete your commitment.

The EA82 spfi components may also be of interest to some - provided they were removed from a reliable known goer. I have got a few of the manifolds which fit to EA81 and are the perfect dedicated propane conversion component. We only got carbs and various mpfi systems - no spfi !

In return, I have been able to send off our EA82 L Series front corner lights for those in US region wanting the orange side mark turn lamp section - a nice safety addition for youse :)

There is also member giles1111 in the UK who has made non metal front guards/wings/fenders and tailgate skins and top trim to suit gen2 Brumby . Yet to see any in the flesh though. He has been the recipient of gen2 filler tubes from Oz Brumbies to restore the rusted out ones on the UK roads - after he has galvanised and painted them up, repaired any thread issue etc.

It happens, but on an individual small scale

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:31 pm

MY hatch would be wicked!

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 pm

brat sidesteps please

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

taza wrote:MY hatch would be wicked!
Look in New Zealand ... shipping a car from there would be cheaper than the USA, as well you could drive it across Australia if you were brave enough :)

Quirky things like the passing 3rd eye for the single headlight "MY" models.

4 stud Rear disc set ups, and XT6 5 stud front and rear hubs.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

sublime

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 am

Willy Fisterbottom wrote:Quad headlights and a grill for a Fugly would be nice :-)
You need the front 'skirt' panel too Willy, dual headlight version is straight without the round 'cut outs' of the single headlights.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:04 am

sublime wrote:You need the front 'skirt' panel too Willy, dual headlight version is straight without the round 'cut outs' of the single headlights.
I know mate, but I'm willing customise the existing rad support to accomodate them :-)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 pm

Welcome RBS,

I've traded parts with a couple of online mates in the US. It all depends on timing, what's available, cost and then finding out what shipping is worth. To me it's 100% commitment if you don't already have the part (for shipping purposes) or it's nothing.

What's your dream list from down under?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 am

Lynzey from MKR ??? No, we are keeping her, though looks like her dad has gone back to the US :p

Return to “Subaru Chat”