genuine MY ign locks still avail ?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

genuine MY ign locks still avail ?

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm

anyone know if new ignition locks are still available from Subaru whether they be in stock or ex Japan ?

I had mine recondition by a trusty locksmith 50,000km ago only so i could get the coding set the same as my other Brumby and now it has jambed up in a most inconvenient way :( locked in place in ignition on position, didn't even get to start it. Luckily I had all the tools on-board to get in there and remove lock for safety reasons and start the ignition switch with another key.

A new ignition lock may cost an arm, leg and a ball but could do me until retirement and beyond

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't know the answer but I wish they were, I also wish you could buy a complete set for a wagon that all uses the same key i.e ignition, front doors, petrol flap and tailgate :( It was annoying enough having a different key for the petrol flap, but looks like I'm going to have 3 or 4 different keys for 1 car :???: My wagons ignition barrel is shagged, you can pretty much start it with a spoon and take the key out while driving.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:58 pm

I believe that OE was two different keys, one ignition key , and one key that did all the other locks , doors, fuel, glovebox and wagon hatch.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:35 am

They are still available, I replaced mine last year. From memory it was something like $150 for the complete ignition set (includes the back half that has all the terminal tags shaped in a star pattern), but maybe Adrian (FROG) can get a better price.
Note they can't match to your original key, so you will need to either get the door locks rekeyed to match or use separate keys (same with the glove box and fuel filler door). My Brumby now has 5 keys - ignition, doors, fuel filler (not door), canopy, and inner storage box :(
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 am

Bearer of good news Dean, thanks for quick response :)

something like $150 is not bad considering the locksmiths fee was about half to fit a new barrel and supply two keys something Sam can get done to sort his slop and non ADR compliant pull out while running ignition key. edit, more like shift the hundred up one notch and you are close, and ex Japan

Compared to co$t$ that were running through my head last night when stuck in a car park that gets a bit diodgy after dark - a tow from a friendly towie after hour$, taxi ride to go get tools and bits. Later on when panic abated I realised I was not so far from a new friend - bought their old Brumby a while back :), little bit further on an old work mate with tools, and little bit further walk another old friend who deserves a visit :)

My key is still stuck in the IGN on position, my spare ign lock, think went into above mentioned Brumby .... new not so pricey when all above is taken into account :) ...just with Easter on the doorstep - OH SAM! Warning, Warning !!

The Solex locks on the doors resolves one issue on extra keys that look the same. I think a locksmith can repin your door locks to suit.

a part number would be handy, just in case they are available ex USA and LHD is smae as RHD :)

and there are two parts to this item - ignition switch is the electrical gear at the back of the ignition lock as far as Sube parts speak goes - I am after the locking function assy with key barrel

And the latest, dear reader, my spare locked up on me in the ign on position - this time the engine was running and I wanted to switch off !!

The little buggers are ganging up on me :( Been fine for three or four starts since - armed with some lock spray :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:27 am

in a funny roundabout way found out tycoon853 ebay ID had these in stock - described as quality , may look same fit MY and Brumby with note of caution some post 1990 or was it post 4/85 Brumby used later model steering lock. The main pic looked a little different but the photo shoot of pics just below confirmed all was good in the looks dept, angles etc.

Comes complete with the electrical switching bit on the back and two door locks and two keys about 152 posted. About the price of a rescue tow job, depending on location it may be half or double. It is just on double what a locksmith charged to rebuild my last one. I somehow justified buying the two remaining, so I will have some pairs of new door locks up for grabs ..hmmm...that may become a security issue ???

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I asked FROG if there were any available from Subaru. He couldn't find a set.

Also he found the last two Power Steering thermostat housings in Australia, picked them both up (one for me!). Shortly after they both landed on his desk the other was sold...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:30 am

El_Freddo wrote: Also he found the last two Power Steering thermostat housings in Australia, picked them both up (one for me!). Shortly after they both landed on his desk the other was sold...

Cheers

Bennie
Don't mean to de-rail thread but if you don't mind non-genuine parts then search for WO56P, there are many results to choose from. Even ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141625758973 ... EBIDX%3AIT

*Edit* And I'll be buggered, these replacement housings are made just round the corner from where I work, Kilkenny castings :rolleyes: Should try and pick a few up on the way home one day :-o

Okay, derail over...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 am

I was gonna say why not send one to Kilkeeny and see what they can do...and bugger me....! Worthy of a thread of its own or an email link to giles1111

Bring thread back to OP topic ;) , got to first lock to investigate the infernals of it, got nowhere before I belted the key in one tumbler further - FIXED !!
Key turns back and forth and comes out only in lock position.

Might have saved self some grief the other night - if only I had a hammer on board !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 am

word is go for nice products search NID 1600 part number about 120 bucks for whole screw on lock, barrel, electrical bit on back and two door locks

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Seems like I keep dredging up old threads, asked a Subaru dealer in Bunbury W.A about ignition locks, they said genuine stopped a few years ago but suggested I look at a company called NICE who do locks..

https://niceproducts.com.au/product/nic ... ck-switch/

that would seem to be the one I need and about $110 for it. Anyone else had any experiences with a product from this company

They also seem to do complete lock sets, doors, glove box etc for Subaru

Peter.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I can't comment on the part itself (I bought genuine from Subaru a few years back, amazingly their price was less than this). BUT I did find the same set on eBay for less :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignition-Bar ... SwIWVY~x55

And if you want matching door locks included :http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-DL-GL ... Sw7GRZJjrl
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 pm

When I look at the ebay sellers and ask them about the locks they all say they will not fit anything later than 1985. Makes me wonder if that is the sports wagons they are referring to and not the brumby's Anyway I will go with one from NICE as I then have a proper business to deal with if it is not right instead of an ebay seller who might not want to help me.

Peter
dfoyl wrote:I can't comment on the part itself (I bought genuine from Subaru a few years back, amazingly their price was less than this). BUT I did find the same set on eBay for less :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignition-Bar ... SwIWVY~x55

And if you want matching door locks included :http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-DL-GL ... Sw7GRZJjrl

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 pm

I heard today the after-market doesn't fit properly - you will need to use the original "C" section from your Brumby and the rest of the setup will be fine from aftermarket. Doesn't matter if you pay the extra to NICE, you'll have the same issue.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Yep, just bolted / screwed mine from "nice" into place, is not a good fit, angle of the barrel is all wrong and lock sits up way too far to the point where it is hard to get your hand in to turn the key.
dfoyl wrote:I heard today the after-market doesn't fit properly - you will need to use the original "C" section from your Brumby and the rest of the setup will be fine from aftermarket. Doesn't matter if you pay the extra to NICE, you'll have the same issue.
Used the clamp from the old lock so it kept the TAB to attach the plastic cover but the casting is wrong on the main part of the lock.... F #$%&* K a waste of money, do not buy a 'nice' lock if you want it to fit... now I know why the ebay sellers say they do not fit late model Brumby.

Peter.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am

If any one wants a very near new ignition lock, not for a later Bumby, then let me know, you can have it for a song or bottle of Coke :) as it is no use to me, not even the switch on the rear is transferable to a genuine lock mechanism as the single screw hole is 90 degrees out of alignment with mine.

Have found a second hand genuine lock on ebay with two keys. The lock operation is reported to be glitch free so will see how well it works after Oz post has had it for a few days.

Peter.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Why aren't you returning it to NICE ? Unless they listed it as not suitable for post-85 it's a clear violation of retail law as not fit for purpose.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:29 pm

to suit the tilt steering colum? my the key is starting to get sticky in my ign barrel

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Pedroj, I take it, this means you have a brumby again? I've just started work (finally!) on barry. Check my other thread.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Suby Spanner wrote:Pedroj, I take it, this means you have a brumby again? I've just started work (finally!) on barry. Check my other thread.
Are you sure? it will not fit to well as the Barrel does not angle down to where it should be and it makes it almost impossible to turn the key when I fitted it to mine... yes I am in the club again LOL.

P.M if you sure you want it, as it is just taking up space here.

Return to “Subaru Chat”