hello KiwiSoob

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

hello KiwiSoob

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:44 pm

noticed you were signed in, so may as well ask you to give a bit of a write up as to what is happening on the Soob front in New Zealand.

I am curious if MY's have near vanished with just the Brumby getting about as it is the case here, and same almost goes for L Series sedans and wagons. Even early imprezas and libs are being sold for peanuts and parts

Can you give us a bit of an idea as to what sits in various wrecker yards too as far as MY L and Vortex please??

KiwiL

Post by KiwiL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:07 pm

idk if Kiwisoob is still online, but I'll give you a rundown of the southern NZ perspective!

MYs have essentially vanished. Last I saw on the road was a Brumby and even they're quite rare, and looking rough/rusty. Last sedan I saw was last year, wagon even longer and it was munted.

L series, very rare. Maybe 2-3 kicking around Dunedin, again quite rough and not long of this earth.
More up Central Otago, the climate is a lot kinder up there. Last time I was in Queenstown, saw 4, including a mint red GTX turbo wagon. Brought back memories!

Old Libs and Imps are going, going too... Even 3rd gen Leggies are looking rough now. 2nd gens mostly pretty rough. 1st gens destroyed, they're on a par with Ls just about. I've seen one first-gen in the flesh and that was 10 years ago!

Wreckers yards, there's a metric sh*t ton of L series, a few Mys, plenty of Brumbies and even a few 1st gens. Plenty of Leggies, mostly 2nd gens. A few SF Foresters too. Dunedin and Cromwell yards at least. Otago Metals in Dunedin has an impresive L series collection, but they're mostly crashed/rusted/crazy km.

KiwiScoob

Post by KiwiScoob » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi there, I figure you probably mean me! I've just picked up another 88' Omega (Leone) wagon from Mt. Cook and was scouting the forums for some info.

As for the availability, I'm based in Christchurch in the South Island, and parts are getting very rare. There are usually one or two EA82 wagons in the Pick-A-Part yard but it's becoming more and more rare to see them. I have never seen a Brumby in a scrapyard.

Cheers for the heads up KiwiL - I'm actually after a few parts and have heard Dunedin is the place to go for parts. Is this Otago Metals available to buy parts out of?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Any EA82 rear disc setups to be found in those yards ? Could be a good way to get some down under for those still looking...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

KiwiScoob

Post by KiwiScoob » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 pm

I had a look at the one Leone sitting at the Pick A Part here in CHCH for that exact thing last weekend...unfortunately didn't have any. You could probably call one of the dismantlers around NZ, they'd probably be happy to help. Try Roscoes in Ashburton, Submarine Spares in CHCH, etc.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:27 am

thanks for the sit rep guys, apologies for the typo Mr Scoob :)

Return to “Subaru Chat”